Suspension ?'s from a new guy

Jalap-inya

Established Member
What's up everyone? I'm in the process of buying new suspension components for my 03 Mach 1 and was wanting a general consensus on what I should do. I just bought some H&R super sport springs along with some MM cc plates, Steeda bumpsteer kit and some Steeda x2 balljoints. I'm debating whether I should go with a set of Tokico Illumina shocks/struts, or if I should pony up the extra cash and go for the Tokico D-Spec shocks and struts. What do you guys think? This site looks awesome and I look forward to spending time on here. Thanks.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Isnt the adjustment screw kinda bs on those:shrug:? Have to screw it in all the way then count turns to set it where you want it instead of just bein able to turn a knob and see what its set to.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
You do have to count the number of turns when adjusting them but it's not that big of a hassle. I love the D specs.

04JUIC

ZY Vert
Established Member
What's up everyone? I'm in the process of buying new suspension components for my 03 Mach 1 and was wanting a general consensus on what I should do. I just bought some H&R super sport springs along with some MM cc plates, Steeda bumpsteer kit and some Steeda x2 balljoints. I'm debating whether I should go with a set of Tokico Illumina shocks/struts, or if I should pony up the extra cash and go for the Tokico D-Spec shocks and struts. What do you guys think? This site looks awesome and I look forward to spending time on here. Thanks.

This sites pretty good for good info, if you need anything Mach specific try Mach1registry.com. Also a good amount of info there.:beer:

Mobil1Mach

Established Member
Full length subframe connectors are a must for all SN95 cars. I also recommend Bilstein HD shocks/struts and aluminum steering rack bushings.

Jalap-inya

Established Member
Awesome, thanks for all of the replies. I definitely want to get some sub-frame connectors along with new sway bars and some shock tower braces. Basically try to make my mach handle as good as possible. Thanks everyone.

Mobil1Mach

Established Member
Also, wheels/tires will be the most substantial handling mod you can buy. Without big, sticky rubber everything else is wasted.

Jalap-inya

Established Member
I plan on getting new wheels and tires, probably after I get all of the suspension upgrades installed. Any recommendations on sticky tires that have a decent life to them? I was thinking about some BF Goodrich tires but I haven't done any research on them, I just like the way the tread pattern looks, lol. Thanks, John.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
I just realized you're in Ocala. My grand parents lived there for quite a few years on the Ocklawaha river just south of Silver springs, still can't those damn monkeys out of my head.

for tires I vote for KDW's. A bit noisy but handle really well. They've been on my car for two years now.

Jalap-inya

Established Member
I just realized you're in Ocala. My grand parents lived there for quite a few years on the Ocklawaha river just south of Silver springs, still can't those damn monkeys out of my head.

for tires I vote for KDW's. A bit noisy but handle really well. They've been on my car for two years now.

LOL, yeah those monkeys are crazy. Kinda weird when you're camping or kayaking and you start hearing monkey noises. The KDW's are exactly what I'm looking for (cool tread pattern). Thanks man.

Also TJ@STEEDA, I tried to send you a PM but I didn't see where that function was. The only option I found was to send you a visitors message, which I did.

Last edited:

Machwon2003

Established Member
lower the car an additional inch. stiffen the springs, KDW 2's for tires. poly bushings on the new upper and lower control arms and new shocks. Then put on a solid steering shaft from MM. That shaft was my biggest difference I could feel. followed by lowering and stiffer springs, then the control arms and bushings, then poly bushings up front and shocks. I left the trans and motor mounts stock for now.

Machwon2003

Established Member
photo.php

MachJoe

Established Member
Good thread. I didn't realize theres so much stuff to be done suspension wise on these cars. I'm taking notes lol. I want a comfortable DD but also handle well. My old 2011 GTI was pretty much my race car and every time I hit a bump, my spinal cord went out of alignment. Don't want that again.

4a7191a

Established Member
alot can be done to make these cars hook up as well as handle. just welding in subs makes the car seem more solid. :)

Jalap-inya

Established Member
Awesome, thanks machwon2003. I never would have thought about a solid steering shaft. I'm guessing it makes the steering more responsive and precise?

Users who are viewing this thread