Suspension/Steering question

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
I think my ball joints are getting ready to head south. I know alreay about the notorious "clank" sound from the bump stops... But is there any aftermarket stuff offered to kinda beef up the front?

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
The design of the lower control arm/lower ball joints flat out sucks on the F series Platform. I cannot tell you how much money I make off of Navigator lower ball joints.

There really is nothing that you can do to make the front end stronger for extended ball joint life.

Are you referring to the clunkwashers instead of the steering stops?

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
I was told that my ball joints may be going out. When i go over bumps or sometimes apply the brakes, i can hear a click. Ya can't feel anything in the steering wheel tho. Just wanted to know if i should just get it replaced or can i buy pieces to make everything a little more durable.

BTW, glad to see ya back online...

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Thanks, glad to be back.

There really isn't anything that you can add to the suspension to make it more durable or less likely to wear out ball joints. Is your truck lowered? If it is that can help speed up the wear on the joints.

If you want to check your ball joints yourself all you need is a floor jack. Jack the truck up on the lower control right under the spring one side at a time. The suspension needs to be loaded to check for a bad ball joint.

With the suspension now loaded up you can try to move the wheel in and out at the top and the bottom of the wheel. You need to push/pull in opposite directions. Push in on the top of the wheel and pull out at the bottom of the wheel, then switch directions. Just make quick little rocking back and forth movements. Any play or clunk felt is a bad lower ball joint.

It really is not uncommon on our suspensions. I had to replace mine at 23k or somewhere around that mileage.

When you turn the wheel fully and back up do you get a loud clunk? If so you probably need the clunkwashers installed. I have found that the clunkwasher kit from LFP is the best. IMO.

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
Sweet man. This is what i needed to know.

Truck isn't lowered in front, 2in shackle in back. A 99 w/ around 63k on the clock. So i guess it's time.

Users who are viewing this thread