Suspension Upgrades for my ordered '12 GT

ragz06

Hey guys,
Just getting back into the nice car scene--prev rides included 98 Cobra, 01 Steeda GT, and 03 Z06 Vette.
Got a '12 Gt on order (arrival ???????)

My main goal honestly regarding the suspension is just to the car lowered. I've read and heard all kind of things--"cant do just springs, wheel hop bad, gonna ride bad, etc..."
I've basically concluded that I cant just do lowering springs. I dont mind spending a little $$--want the car to look good and handle well on the street. Not gonna be at the auto-x or drag strip.
I've been looking at the Ford Racing Handling Pak, which is springs, struts/shocks, upgraded strut mounts, jounce stops, and front/rear sway bars. Has anybody done this upgrade? Thoughts?
What about an adjustable Panhard bar, which I've read will be needed to re-center the rear? Lower/Upper Control Arms??
I was thinking about just going with the K-springs (1.5" drop vs the 1'" P-springs in the package), Struts/shocks, strut mount upgrade, jounce stops, UCA/LCA, and adjust. panhard bar. ???

Any advice much appreciated as I wait on the build of the new 5.0; really enjoying the info from this site!!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I thought Griggs went out of business?

They filed for bankruptcy to reorganize, and they are still in business. Like Donald Trump has done multiple times....

Yes I am biased because I have seen the numbers(facts), and have taken a ride in a griggs car. Yes the 100mph highway 360 degree exit(30mph posted exit speed) with no tire squeal impressed the hell out of me. But more importantly the car rode softer than my stock 03 mach 1. So yes Griggs knows something about suspension...

cobra916

Established Member
i know this is a ford site and i will get bashed for this but... why would you sell your 03 z06 for new mustang??

ragz06

@cobra916

Ha--good question!

Actually had to get rid of the Z06 back in summer of 2006---I've been without fast car for several years. That's why I cannot wait to get back behind the wheel!
You are correct sir, the Z06 was an awesome machine

AmnDucky

Established Member
They filed for bankruptcy to reorganize, and they are still in business. Like Donald Trump has done multiple times....

Yes I am biased because I have seen the numbers(facts), and have taken a ride in a griggs car. Yes the 100mph highway 360 degree exit(30mph posted exit speed) with no tire squeal impressed the hell out of me. But more importantly the car rode softer than my stock 03 mach 1. So yes Griggs knows something about suspension...

No need to get defensive haha. I've never even seen a Griggs car in person and I am already saving up the 5+ grand for their setup. Eventually I will do the full open track setup with new k-members and stuff.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
No need to get defensive haha. I've never even seen a Griggs car in person and I am already saving up the 5+ grand for their setup. Eventually I will do the full open track setup with new k-members and stuff.

Not defensive in any way. Just saying it works, well! With todays new mustang 98% of the drivers wont push their car that hard. Spending a grand on springs and accessories does not make any sense to me since simply lose suspension travel with non significant gains.

AmnDucky

Established Member
Not defensive in any way. Just saying it works, well! With todays new mustang 98% of the drivers wont push their car that hard. Spending a grand on springs and accessories does not make any sense to me since simply lose suspension travel with non significant gains.

I hope to one day push my car that hard. I am already almost better than my car (so to speak) and I need to change that. I want a car that handles better than I am willing to. I want to be diving into the corkscrew and know that the car CAN handle faster, but I might crap my pants if I try. But that is in 20 years when the interior is almost stripped, engine built, suspension fully replaced, and the car has been relegated to weekend toy.

Erick

Established Member
RaZ06,
g
This is the suspension that came on my Roush Stage 2:ROUSH Performance: 2011 Mustang Suspension Kit (5.0L V8)

The ride quality is great and as well as the handling. A similar package on the 2010 pulled over 1.0g with 18's.

What will the car be used for? Griggs has been the best for years but i can't see the point in spending all that money on it unless your car is seeing some serious competition.

ragz06

Ok, my dealer is not being too cooperative as I await delivery later this month--build date is 4-11 yeah!
Accessories manager is saying "Ford hasn't told us that the '11 parts will fit the new '12's, warranty, yadda yadda".
I've been trying to tell him that there is no difference between the 11's and the 12's in regards to suspension, I don't give a **** about the warranty, etc...I mean if the 1% chance that the '11 suspension parts won't work, its not like it will void the warranty on the whole car! It is gonna be my car, my money, I cannot believe that I am willing to spend 35 grand on a new car and am asking the dealership to take my money to perform a few simple upgrades and am getting this much resistance!
Any advices from the fellow stangers??

grnenvy

Established Member
If you want to lower your ride and still have it ride nice go with the Steeda sport springs. You don't need to buy anything else to lower a new GT.
Now if your a manual trans guy wheel hop can be an issue and the fix for that is relocation brackets! BMR sells a real nice bracket that doesn't need to be welded in and it has 3 bolted mounting points so you know it's not going anywhere. But I would just try the springs first.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
call sam... Strano Performance Parts - Parts Catalog He will sell you only what you need. Awesome guy.

+1. dont listen to any of us on the forums, just tell Sam what you want out of the car and he will build a setup for you. He is a great guy and will get you what you need. Piecing a kit together with different brands will be better than the out-of-the-box FRPP Handling Pack.

kingnut

Established Member
If you want to lower your ride and still have it ride nice go with the Steeda sport springs. You don't need to buy anything else to lower a new GT.
Now if your a manual trans guy wheel hop can be an issue and the fix for that is relocation brackets! BMR sells a real nice bracket that doesn't need to be welded in and it has 3 bolted mounting points so you know it's not going anywhere. But I would just try the springs first.

pics of the steeda sport springs on a 2011 gt?

Users who are viewing this thread