Suspension ?

CobraG

Established Member
So the 2014 I'm looking at had a noise coming from the rear end. The salesman and GM took it for a drive and agreed it has a noise and said they'll have it fixed.

They're going to put new control arms and some other parts, all comes out to $2600 for the rear suspension to be fixed. I called the service dept today, they're going to take off the mods to the suspension, (the original owner had the mods put on). Should I let them do this swap and take these parts off and get all new suspension in the rear or have them stop and keep the parts listed below on the car?

I've asked if they can do the work and let me keep the parts, I'm waiting to hear back from them on that.

Parts:

Cortex Street Racing LCAs Cortex Racing Torque Arm Cortex Racing Watts Link Cortex Racing oil cooler diff cover

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
So the 2014 I'm looking at had a noise coming from the rear end. The salesman and GM took it for a drive and agreed it has a noise and said they'll have it fixed.

They're going to put new control arms and some other parts, all comes out to $2600 for the rear suspension to be fixed. I called the service dept today, they're going to take off the mods to the suspension, (the original owner had the mods put on). Should I let them do this swap and take these parts off and get all new suspension in the rear or have them stop and keep the parts listed below on the car?

I've asked if they can do the work and let me keep the parts, I'm waiting to hear back from them on that.

Parts:

Cortex Street Racing LCAs Cortex Racing Torque Arm Cortex Racing Watts Link Cortex Racing oil cooler diff cover
Not sure but that sounds like a lot of spherical end bushing stuff…. That the cause of the noise?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Goals?

The torque arm will transmit/amplify certain frequencies emitted by the rear axle that you not hear with the stock 3link/control arms/bushings etc. That said, I would not remove a properly installed torque arm and go back to stock, ever. Then again, I'm willing to put up with an increase in NVH if mods are functioning as designed and providing a performance improvement over stock.

CobraG

Established Member
Not sure but that sounds like a lot of spherical end bushing stuff…. That the cause of the noise?
I'm not sure, we heard it on the test drive. I'm 50/50 on taking the mods off and returning it to stock or leaving the mods on. I'm not familiar with suspension parts and stuff.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure, we heard it on the test drive. I'm 50/50 on taking the mods off and returning it to stock or leaving the mods on. I'm not familiar with suspension parts and stuff.
Like Tob said. That is all good stuff from a performance perspective, but is going to be noisier than stock. All what you want and can live with. Keep the parts though. You can sell them if unwanted.

CobraG

Established Member
Goals?

The torque arm will transmit/amplify certain frequencies emitted by the rear axle that you not hear with the stock 3link/control arms/bushings etc. That said, I would not remove a properly installed torque arm and go back to stock, ever. Then again, I'm willing to put up with an increase in NVH if mods are functioning as designed and providing a performance improvement over stock.
That's the thing, I've never had a car with suspension mods so I'm not sure if the noise is normal.

CobraG

Established Member
Ok, how good is the stock suspension on a 2014 GT500? If it goes back to stock is that a big difference?
I'm coming from a 2013 5.0 that seemed to not like speed. It felt fine at lower speeds but at higher speeds it would get a little squirrely.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, how good is the stock suspension on a 2014 GT500? If it goes back to stock is that a big difference?
I'm coming from a 2013 5.0 that seemed to not like speed. It felt fine at lower speeds but at higher speeds it would get a little squirrely.
I would put it back to stock and maybe try a piece at a time with Lca’s first. See what you will accept noise wise. I will say the stock rear felt squirrelly to me. I did lca’s and it helped. Now have springs and a pan hard bar. The ends make a big difference whether rod ends, rubber etc on the noise.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I would pass on the car. Thats just me.
There's a 14 that just went up for sale with only 7k miles, loaded, stock for $59k in Iowa. Id persue it. I see your in Oklahoma.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Again, what are your goals or plans with the car? Street only or track use? Cortex hardware is among the best out there. Going back to stock is just adding factory compromise back in place. But if you want soft and just drive around town or to go to cars and coffee/wax then stock may be what you'd prefer.

CobraG

Established Member
My plans right now are street use, I‘m not planning on taking it to the track.
I’ll get on it too, but it won’t be my daily driver either.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I think I talked to you on IG about this car, at least it sounds familiar. Either way the car has some nice suspension mods and yes, they're going to make more noise than stock. But I'd still leave the mods on the car, they're expensive and definitely a big improvement over the stock stuff.

Or I'd track down a stock 13/14 and start fresh

1FASFKR

Established Member
I'm the original owner of the car. @CobraG and I have messaged back and forth already. I picked the Cortex Racing gear and had the mods professionally installed by a speed shop in Oklahoma City. YES the spherical ends on the LCA's are the source of the noise imo. They were back when I owned it and I'm sure it's the case still. It can be annoying for someone not used to it. They can easily be swapped out for poly bushing LCA's. I personally wouldn't remove any of the other mods and go back to a stock rear configuration with the Revan Racing 13-6 kit and Ford Racing TB, Lund Tune HP mods. Just swap out the LCA's for a poly bushing set. I'm very OCD about the mods I choose. They were put on before the HP mods if that tells you anything. On the other hand, if you can keep the parts and sell them then cool. You have a blank canvas to start your own mods.

I believe I traded the car off with 21K miles on it back in 2017 and it was very well kept. So the 2nd owner only put ~6k on it. That's pretty good.

CobraG

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the help and especially 1FASFKR, you've been extremely helpful. There is a lot more to the story than this in regards to the dealership and how this is all playing out.

As I've mentioned, my wife and test drove the car, we noticed a noise and brought it to the salesman and a managers attention, they drove it and heard the noise too. They parked it in a bay and told me they'd have a mechanic take a look. The next morning I get a call telling me the LCA's and bushing's need to be replaced, it'll cost $2600 and the dealership was going to cover it. They have to order the parts, he said they'll be in by Wednesday (yesterday).
So I'm thinking that's cool they're going to fix it and not add to the price of the car. Then I started thinking about it and thought, wait, if they do that are they removing parts. So I contact the dealership and talk to them about it, the service tech told me Yes, the modified parts would come off. So I asked him when they were going to start the work. He told me Thursday since the parts weren't delivered until noon Wednesday so I said okay, let me do some research and get back with you tomorrow morning before the mechanic starts.
I ask y'all and 1FASFKR what you think, get your inputs and call the service tech to let him know a little after 5PM I don't want them to do the work. He tells me the mechanic has already tore into the car and is now gone for the day. And, he won't be back until Monday!
So now the car is in the bay, at least that's what they've told me.
Then I get a call from my salesman about an hour later he assues me I'll have the car by Saturday. And I was told since the car was sold they'd put it in the bay over the weekend. The car was in the exact same spot from Saturday when I took my 5.0 on Monday for the trade, that's why I'm not sure what to believe!

Another thing, I traded a 2013 5.0 for this 2014 GT500, they're giving me $21K for my car. I drove my car up this past Monday and left it with them, in good faith and to get that part done. My car is on their site for sale at almost $28K, that's fine, whatever, they have to get paid too. What gets me on that is we haven't finished the deal, I didn't get a check for $21K or anything.

It's like they rush through everything without checking with me first.
I already called and left a voice mail for the Manger so we can talk about all this.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I am not sure, but if you handed over the check and signed the paperwork, well...ya idk, I would think the deal has been closed?
Is this Reynolds Ford in OKC by chance?
Did you do a compression check on the car?

CobraG

Established Member
That's the thing, I haven't done anything payment wise on the GT500, all I did was agree to the price and what they'd give me on trade. I haven't signed any financial documents or received a check for my trade in or anything.
It's not Reynolds Ford.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
That's the thing, I haven't done anything payment wise on the GT500, all I did was agree to the price and what they'd give me on trade. I haven't signed any financial documents or received a check for my trade in or anything.
It's not Reynolds Ford.
Nope, I'd reference back to post #9.
Start fresh, the sale is already tainted with doubt. Start the search over

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread