SVE Coil Over Review

Tyler@LMR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Established Member
The SVE coil overs from Late Model Restoration were a kit that I had in mind when redoing my suspension. Rather than just do new shocks and struts with my SVE springs, I figured I would close that wheel gap in the rear with an adjustable coil over.

Install was straightforward. If you have ever done springs on a 79-04, it's basically the same minus the spring location in the front. Install took a few hours with jack, jack stands, and hand tools. Adjusting took some time to get it just where I wanted.

Test driving the car, it already felt much better than the old worn out suspension. I was expecting some clunking and scraping since I thought I went too low but to my surprise the only clunking I got was from hitting potholes at a high speed. These were usually the same spots I would hear clunks with the old suspension. The car feels tighter and more responsive. I had someone else drive it this weekend and they were also surprised with the ride quality.

Pros:
Fine tuning is REALLY nice when trying to get the perfect stance.
Install is easier than installing lowering springs.
Great all in one kit to replace springs, shocks, struts.
No clunking or creaks.

The only cons that I had were I was not prepared for the amount of work it is to adjust the coilovers time and time again to get the height where I wanted. This ended up being well worth the time once it was all set and perfected. Had a little clearance issue with the front spring and chassis. I just rotated the spring and its fine. MM sells a tool to bend the chassis to clear their kit I believe.

SVE Coil Overs: SVE Mustang Coilover Kit (94-04) - LMR.com

21558974_1620686994657768_4613568589345003615_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

18920481_1514317755294693_3396459857302462315_n.jpg

Last edited:

Scud2

Established Member
The SVE coil overs from Late Model Restoration were a kit that I had in mind when redoing my suspension. Rather than just do new shocks and struts with my SVE springs, I figured I would close that wheel gap in the rear with an adjustable coil over.

Install was straightforward. If you have ever done springs on a 79-04, it's basically the same minus the spring location in the front. Install took a few hours with jack, jack stands, and hand tools. Adjusting took some time to get it just where I wanted.

Test driving the car, it already felt much better than the old worn out suspension. I was expecting some clunking and scraping since I thought I went too low but to my surprise the only clunking I got was from hitting potholes at a high speed. These were usually the same spots I would hear clunks with the old suspension. The car feels tighter and more responsive. I had someone else drive it this weekend and they were also surprised with the ride quality.

Pros:
Fine tuning is REALLY nice when trying to get the perfect stance.
Install is easier than installing lowering springs.
Great all in one kit to replace springs, shocks, struts.
No clunking or creaks.

The only cons that I had were I was not prepared for the amount of work it is to adjust the coilovers time and time again to get the height where I wanted. This ended up being well worth the time once it was all set and perfected. Had a little clearance issue with the front spring and chassis. I just rotated the spring and its fine. MM sells a tool to bend the chassis to clear their kit I believe.

SVE Coil Overs: https://latemodelres.to/SVECoilOvers9404

18920481_1514317755294693_3396459857302462315_n.jpg
Awesome write up. I have the American Muscle SR coilover kit V1. Pretty similar in looks but you have to buy the caster camber plates seperate...so SVE seems like a better deal! You car is so slick...im on LMR now using the code to get those headlights lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tyler@LMR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Awesome write up. I have the American Muscle SR coilover kit V1. Pretty similar in looks but you have to buy the caster camber plates seperate...so SVE seems like a better deal! You car is so slick...im on LMR now using the code to get those headlights lol

Thanks man! Been working on this car for 6 years now since my brother bought it and just recently had the chance to buy it from him and restore it.

Scud2

Established Member
Thanks man! Been working on this car for 6 years now since my brother bought it and just recently had the chance to buy it from him and restore it.
Yeah I saw your post on Facebook. Closing the 4x4 gap on the new edge is good. Coilover kit is best though. I set mine low and the springs settled just a little and had to raise it...what a pain. Fronts are not too bad...backs though...

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
Hey Tyler. What's the time frame on those gt350 knockoff wheels on your car in the pic?

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Every single day I start debating whether to ditch the bags and go coilovers or not. My longtubes hang SO low though that I'm just not sure I can justify getting rid of them.

I LOVE the idea of being able to just hop in the car and go. I am tired of waiting for the tank to fill up, and the noise from the compressors is just annoying. BUT, the ability to adjust the ride height while cruising down the road is an absolute luxury. If I hear my long tubes scrape on a bump, and wheels rubbing in a fender anywhere, I can have the problem sorted at the touch of a button.

I guess I will just continue to weigh pros and cons until I am able to make a decision. :rolleyes:

Tyler@LMR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Every single day I start debating whether to ditch the bags and go coilovers or not. My longtubes hang SO low though that I'm just not sure I can justify getting rid of them.

I LOVE the idea of being able to just hop in the car and go. I am tired of waiting for the tank to fill up, and the noise from the compressors is just annoying. BUT, the ability to adjust the ride height while cruising down the road is an absolute luxury. If I hear my long tubes scrape on a bump, and wheels rubbing in a fender anywhere, I can have the problem sorted at the touch of a button.

I guess I will just continue to weigh pros and cons until I am able to make a decision. :rolleyes:

I have been reluctant to do longtubes now that I am on coils and have been on the fence of getting bags since I got the car. I love how smooth and tight the car is now but think I will really love it when my BMR rear control arms go on. My 1 to 2 shift it brutal right now.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I was curious about the SVE coilovers, anyone that can leave a review whom doesn't actually work for LMR?

Also, is it just me, or is the rear not an actual coilover setup? After watching the install vid, it looks that way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread