SVO or SVT... what would U have done

95kobrah

Established Member
Well, I am bored so I figured i'd make a pointless post. Earlier this summer I sold my Ranger because I really didn't need a truck and wanted better gas mileage (and something faster). I had it narrowed down to aobut 5 cars for a daily driver. I finally narrowed it down to 2 cars, a mint 1986 SVO with 36K original miles, and a 98 SVT Contour with 70K miles. After alot of indecisive days i finally decided upon the 'tour due to the fact that it was more apt to daily driver status. I've had the CSVT for about 5 months now and i really do enjoy the car, it is a blast, and a great DD for keeping the miles off the Cobra, but every now and then I think about that 20 year old 2.3 turbo, and look at the pics i took of her when i had her on loan from the dealership for a day. So what would u guys have done, gone with the "logical" choice like I did, or live on the wild side and drive a rare 20 year old, no air-bag, no anti lock brakes, no frills turbo stang during Ohio winters?

THe SVO

shouldhave.jpg

The SVT

MYSVTS.jpg

Pro SNIVELER

Banned
you'll figure out what you shouldve done 20 more years from now when a mint one rolls across barrett jacksons stage, lol. as far as a DD goes you did the right thing, hopefully that car is put away in someones garage now.

edit: if it had been me, that 95 would be sitting on the lot.....the countour AND the svo would have went home that day.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
It would have been a shame to put an SVO in that condition into winter beater status. You made the right choice as far as that goes.

Hope the SVO makes it to a good home though.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
You done fine. SVO's are a pain to find trim parts and such for. Wiring on most cars is only designed to last 10 years or so. I've got an SVO in the field I gave up on and gave it to a guy at work. She needs way more than I can give her so I cut my losses. The Contour serves your purposes better being front wheel drive. I've heard a few scary stories of the SVO's breaking loose when the boost come in, not a situation I would want in snow.

BittenInBama

Established Member
Dont know about the CSVT, but the SVO is a bear to get parts for now days. I dorve one as a DD for 6 years. When they run they are a blast. But when parts go bad, it can be a PITA.

Agree that the SVO would not have been a good choice for just a winter beater though, Looks like too nice of a car for that.

SVTLightningSD

Established Member
I woulda taken the SVO, but I think im a little biased having owned one and loved it for almost 9 years. Got it freshmen year of high school.

94five0

*Click*
Established Member
damn gorgeous 86 man..props..i drove mine for several months d/d style till i changed jobs. ran fine, but lil things kept creepin on her. tpi went out,ac condensor went out, but runs great for a 22 yr old car etc.. its defintly cooler than a honda civic..and best 2500 bucks i've spent..

but finding replacement parts- P/S corner light, rear bumper cover, header pannel..socks..

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Not the choice I would have made, but probably the right choice. By the way I hate airbags and antilock brakes. Just more weight added to cars to make people feel safer instead of actually learning how to drive and being safer because of it.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
SVO by far, they are simple enough and I can only imagine trying to "restore" a CSVT. You could rebuild that 2.3 in your sleep, I've done it before. At least the SVO isn't as black sheep as a merkur.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
SVO's are cool, but ask anyone that has ever owned one and they'll be more than happy to tell you how big of a pain in the ass they are to maintain. They still love them though. I drove one that was ragged out to hell and the thing still had some "oomph" to it.

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
87Mustang5_0 said:
Man thats one clean ass SVO!

Exactly what I was thinking! You've got more will power than I do. I would have scooped that thing up and scraped around for a cheap beater. I guess that's why I'm always broke....

Users who are viewing this thread