SVT doesn't care about us anymore

jordanvraptor

Established Member
Just got off the phone with SVT. Talked at them about the smoke on startup issue and the pop/tink. Basically he says the smoke on startup is the PCV valve being plugged. Told him it did it right after my dealer replaced the PCV valve. No answer. Told him it consumes a quart of oil every 3000 miles. That's normal he says. I asked about the pop tink issue and he said its the washer on the axle nut that needs to be lubricated and retorqued. I asked him what about when it comes back when my warranty is expired? No answer. I asked if there is a redesign in the works.

He said NO, we aren't even making the car anymore so there is no more work being done on it. So, basically, we are on our own now. SVT says **** off to us owners. Well I tell you what, I'll never buy another new car from Ford. I will also take pleasure when people ask me why my car blows out a huge blue smoke cloud when I start it after a car show?

"Oh, Ford says that's normal"....

Vent mode off.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
If is smokes they need to fix it or get you a new engine. Period.

I'm getting ready to short F. :fm:

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Gentlemen, its the nature of the Beast. We have ourselves an affordable 400+hp muscle car. Most of the issues with this car are small issues, details really. I challenge all of you to find a new 400 hp car in the 30-35k range...You won't. The z06 is just south of 50k and still has it's fair share of problems as well.

Last edited:

FKing1

Established Member
We mod these cars, drive the Hell out of them, then blame Ford when a problem arises?? If still in warranty, what does the dealer say? People answering the SVT line are not always sympathetic.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
You know how much oil probably puddles up in these gigantic 4V heads? I think a small puff on startup is acceptable. Now if its smoking like a dead head at Grateful Dead concert, then you may have a problem.

svtxchinoy

Established Member
I've heard the smoke comes from oil being in the TB. I cleaned it out when I put in my FIPK and hasn't smoked since. A lot of these issues are small in comparison to what other cars migiht be experiencing that cost even more than ours. Ferrari's only have I think 2 years warranty coverage. After that, its up to the rich owner to fork up hundreds of dollars for probably just an oil filter on that car. Every car has its quirks, just we tend to pay more attention to them since we love these cars so much.

NC Cobra

Established Member
My 03 now has 26,000 miles. Never smoked, still doesn't. I have 4,000 miles on my last oil change and I am about 1/3 of a quart low. (With high quality oil in a well broken in engine 3000 mile oil changes are B/S.) An engine that pumps through a quart of oil every 3000 miles may not be doomed to fail but I would not consider it "normal".

nuxx

Established Member
Originally posted by 03Sssnake
Now if its smoking like a dead head at Grateful Dead concert, then you may have a problem.
So that's where I hid my stash :cuss:
-Peter

PS : You in town this weekend? :kaboom:

jedeyeben

Established Member
This might be a little off, but my cousin's 99 had to have a new block put in with just under 36k on it because it was smoking on startup. This might be a little extreme but he had it in several times, to a couple of dealerships, and no one could figure it out... Turns out one cylider was out of round from the factory and it had to have a new block. He lucked out, new crate motor with let then a thousand miles remaining on his warranty.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Originally posted by 03Sssnake
Gentlemen, its the nature of the Beast. We have ourselves an affordable 400+hp muscle car. Most of the issues with this car are small issues, details really. I challenge all of you to find a new 400 hp car in the 30-35k range...You won't. The z06 is just south of 50k and still has it's fair share of problems as well.
30 years ago nobody would be bitching about a small puff of smoke on startup from a 400 rwhp car,

Snake Eyes

Established Member
The smoke is because your PCV is sucking oil up and you are burning it in the engine. If you want to be rid of the smoke install an oil catch can or better yet delete it and use breathers. Here are some threads about it.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85611

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95209 (my post at the top of page 2 is about as good as it gets for explaining the issue)

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99120

jordanvraptor

Established Member
Originally posted by 99cobrablack
30 years ago nobody would be bitching about a small puff of smoke on startup from a 400 rwhp car,
Often its a very big cloud of smoke. I suppose I could try the breathers. At least it would eliminate that as a source of the oil. My money is on the valve guide seals.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
My 99 smokes most of the time on startup, it can be a little cloud, or a decent sized cloud, it doesn't smell like oil but more like fuel. I have 2500 miles on my new motor from ford, after reading what I posted I sounded like an ass, which I didn't intend to do.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
Just wait till it becomes an Old Ford(tm) and leaks oil as well as blowing it. Leave a cloud AND a stain.

My car leaving an oil stain on your driveway is no different from me letting my dog crap on your mailbox post. For whatever thats worth.

Last edited:

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
ShelbyGuy, is your pop/tink still gone? Mine's coming back, but it's nowhere near as bad as before the halfshafts were replaced.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by NC Cobra
An engine that pumps through a quart of oil every 3000 miles may not be doomed to fail but I would not consider it "normal".
Believe it or not, virtually every automobile manufacturer considers using 1 quart of oil every 800-1000 miles to be in the acceptable range. 1 quart every 3K? That's a non-issue. Every 5.0 I ever owned consumed at LEAST that much. Follow the PCV advice on those links and you'll probably see your consumption go down.

-Greg

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Smoke on startup should not happen till you get 60K plus on this engine. Smoking with under 36K is complete BS. My '95 GT had 120k spririted mile on it and did not smoke at all. It did burn a quart every 3000 thou.

Last edited:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Originally posted by jordanvraptor
Often its a very big cloud of smoke. I suppose I could try the breathers. At least it would eliminate that as a source of the oil. My money is on the valve guide seals.
If it is the valve guide seals, then a simple test will prove it. Get the engine up over 6,000 rpm in second, then let off of the gas (keep it in gear). Let the engine slow the car down below 2,000 rpm then go WOT. If it's the valve guide seals, then you will get a large puff of smoke. During engine braking, there will be high vacuum which will pull oil past faulty valve guide seals.

My money is on the 2 breather tubes coming off of the valve covers. Pull your intake and there will be a pool of oil coming from those 2 tubes.

High oil consumption is only detrimental to an engine if you don't keep an eye on the oil level and let it run low. I had an 86 GT for over 10 years and 200,000 miles and it was still a strong runner. For most of it's life it used 1 qt every 1,200 miles (it ran as low as 1 qt every 450 miles early on until Ford rebuilt it with new rings). As long as the oil level is above min, you should be OK. Back then, Ford considered 750 miles per qt to be "Normal".

orange2004cobra

Established Member
Your driving a 10,000 car...
It happens to have a 25,000 dollar engine and tranny in it..
It shouldnt smoke on startup, nor should it burn a quart every 1000 miles...
These are all legitimate responses if we were talking about a 65 Mustang, but not a brand new product.
Fors is stiffing a bunch of us, period..
I love my car, but Ford has done us wrong..
Justifying it with the fact we have 400 h.p. is like saying,
"I cant believe I caught the clap from that fine bitch"
L.

Bigg Slimm

Established Member
"I cant believe I caught the clap from that fine bitch"
L. [/B][/QUOTE]

:lol: Best Analogy yet. I agree totally.

Users who are viewing this thread