SVT Focus or New GT?

deezlins

Established Member
It all really depends on what you plan on doing with the car and what youre looking for, but personally i would pick the SVT Focus, beacuse its different, its fun to drive, better gas mileage, and it handles better. It's a fun car you can really zip around in, and a blast to take to the mountain roads and stuff. It just suits me better IMO.

2003BlkSVTL

Established Member
Focus...

Yeah, I hear you on the gas milage and handling. This GT is a heavy beast. Don't get me wrong, I love the v8 torque and power, but without some significant modifications, it feels like I have cynderblocks in the trunk. Too bad I'm backwards on my GT. I wanted the SVTF, but I got tired of waiting for its release. Oh well, guess it's time for gears and an O/R pipe!

Anyone here actually go from a GT to a SVTF?

Mike-SVT

Established Member
I went from a modded '96 GT to the '02 SVTF and love every mile I have driven it. That GT was a heavy, understeering, tail-out in wet, dog compared to they way the SVTF handles, rides and stops.

Robs01

Established Member
I went from an '01 Cobra to the SVTF (I can hear the GASPS now :) )

Intially the reason was for a cheaper way to and from work, but now that I have drove it awhile I've decided, that atleast to me, the SVTF is the better car.

Feels screwed together better, the leather is a better quality, and as a daily city driver, is just plain fun.

2003 Euro SVTF

2003BlkSVTL

Established Member
GT's and Cobra owners prefer SVTF~?

Wow, I didn't expect this kind of reply! Dammit, I wish I would have gotten one. If Ford didn't screw me on the appraisal of my GT, ($12,000) when I owe ($19,000), I'd trade her in. Right now I'd lke to sell her, but I'm not sure I can get what I owe. It's amazing that you guys like the car so much, to favor it over the GT and Cobra. I gotta get one!

philip

Tweet Tweet Bitch
Established Member
i went from an SVTF to an 03 lightning........both are excellent....except now im kicking myself everytime I get gas....about $38 per tank....and its a daily driver.....for now

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Originally posted by Robs01
I went from an '01 Cobra to the SVTF (I can hear the GASPS now :) )

Intially the reason was for a cheaper way to and from work, but now that I have drove it awhile I've decided, that atleast to me, the SVTF is the better car.

Feels screwed together better, the leather is a better quality, and as a daily city driver, is just plain fun.

2003 Euro SVTF

I went from an 03 COBRA to an SVTF so double GASP :uh oh: !!!!!!!!!!!! for similar reasons to yours, plus once I am out of debt it is twin turbo Porsche time.

I love this little car and it is much more solid than the Cobra, just don't got that crazy power, so you need to rev it up and hope for the best.

The Euro Pkg is really nice and the seats are great. Plus, I got the Competition Orange color which I think is outstanding. I think the 04 Cobra will come in this color and its got POP!

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by philip
i went from an SVTF to an 03 lightning........both are excellent....except now im kicking myself everytime I get gas....about $38 per tank....and its a daily driver.....for now

:rolleyes: Ur telling me.
My 03Cobra sits in the garage now.
I just picked up a regular Focus & its pretty quick but id rather of gotten the SVTF.

Its got some ummfff to it but i can only imagine what the SVTF has :D

Focus to save on $$$ for mods & GT if ur not planing on changing any thing. Im sure the price difference is pretty big right?

Robs01

Established Member
I got the Competition Orange color which I think is outstanding.

SPOOKY!!! We both trade a Cobra, and we get the identical car:beer:

BTW I know where you can get a '01 true blue cobra with pullies/tri-ax and magna flow cat-back pretty cheap if anyone is interested.

Rob

Last edited:

Dink

Established Member
I went from a 97 GT to an 03 SVTF. I love it! Much happier with the SVTF than the GT. Feels much more solid and it's super fun to drive. It's fast and gets great gas milage. I was trying to decide between this and a new 03 GT, but of me, the SVTF won by a landslide.

PS. Speaking of gas milage, I averaged 32mpg on my trip to Cincinnati from washington DC. 75-80mph the whole way while on interstate.

DaveSVT03

Established Member
For financial reasons, I'm considering trading my Cobra in on a SVT Focus. Thanks to the posts here, I'm feeling a little better about it. If I do it, I'll post more info. Anyway, it's great to see how owners really like the Focus!

hj16

Established Member
I'd stick with the GT unless you really need the better gas mileage.

If you do keep the GT dont get the 3.73s, they're a waste. 4.10s for a daily driver, 4.30s if you like to drag.

2003BlkSVTL

Established Member
SVT Focus vs SRT4 Neon?

I was looking at the stats on these two cars. I have always been a Ford fan, but for the same money, these SRT's look pretty good. Anyone here like the SRT4's?

Street Racer

Established Member
Re: SVT Focus vs SRT4 Neon?

Originally posted by 2002blkgt
I was looking at the stats on these two cars. I have always been a Ford fan, but for the same money, these SRT's look pretty good. Anyone here like the SRT4's?
I havent been in an SRT, I have only seen 1 or 2, but my wife used to own a regular neon and they are known for blowing head gaskets. Hers blew the head gasket at 20,000 miles. I sure hope they fixed that problem with the SRT, or some owners are going to be mad, especially if it happens after the warranty is up. Just my .02 cents. :burnout:

Anthochoritis

Established Member
After test driving a 2003 SVT Mustang, I would much rather have my SVT Focus than a Mustang GT. Nothing short of an SVT or maybe a Mach 1 would get me to go to the Mustang side. The GT is 260 horse 3,800 lbs I think. 1,000 more lbs than the Focus. Also the Cobra's handling was bad enough compared to the Focuses and considering its the best suspensionwise, the GT must be horrible for anyone used to a Focus Chassis.

I felt like I was driving a truck. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have an SVT Mustang, but not a GT.

DaveSVT03

Established Member
Well, I'm the owner of a new ZX5 SVT Focus and here are my impressions after a week of ownership. I've had an 01 Cobra and an 03 Cobra.

1) The Audiophile option is a great deal - for around $300 I have a stereo that would cost a lot more to improve upon. It is much better than the Mach 460 in the Cobra.

2) 5 doors and hatch = very practical vehicle. Much better fit for my family of 5. We all fit comfortably. I know it's obvious.

3) Handling - WOW. This car is simply amazing when it comes to curves. It may not be as fast around a track as a Cobra, but the confidence this car inspires on high speed curves is great.

4) Much less fidgeting and darting on roads. Much more of a relaxed car to drive.

5) I don't have to fill the smaller gas tank every other day like I did with the Cobra. Could be because it's easier to resist full throttle at every stop light - this is a plus and a minus.

6) Lack of sub 3K torque makes starting out a bit of challange. I have to keep reminding myself to hit the gas a bit harder. Once underway and above 4k on the Tach, this car has nice power.

7) HIDs rock! I can't believe how much better they work. With the highbeams on I'm afraid a plane my try to land on top of me :)

8) Fit and finish is much better than I expected from a domestic economy car. While I don't care for some of the styling, I'd say the overall look and feel of the plastics and components is better than in the mustang (at least until the 05 comes out).

9) Sunroof is too small to be worthwhile, but I'm not a big sunroof fan anyway.

10) I get more boy racer challanges in this car than I ever got in the Cobra - this suprised me. It is from the fart can Honda crowd though. Only pick up trucks, vettes and porches used to rev the Cobra. Only been a week, but the pickups seem to be leaving me alone now.

Is this car more fun than my Cobra Vert? No, but it is a great trade off between practicality and fun.

If I were to pick between a GT and a Focus it would be more difficult. For now, with a family, I'd pick the SVT Focus over a GT.

My 2 cents.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread