SVT Rumors

wmccormick

Established Member
Well I was on mustangsource.com and this post came from the owner of the site. Looks like it is from a reliable source from a SVT rep.

Link to the post
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=8298

Are the rumors about SVT being dropped true?

SVT rep: NO, it was a rumor that popped up over the weekend from a post over on Modularfords.com. We are not planning on closing our doors and all engineering effort has been focused on the next generation Cobra. Even though it is a rumor, we do appreciate the faxes, e-mails, written letters, and calls of support that everyone has given us. We are reading everyone that is sent to us and where possible we are replying (with a standard format letter/email) to those people.

:shrug:

wldstang91

Established Member
I also found out yesterday that SVT is still going strong. My mom works for the company that designed part of the 05 Mustang and SVT approached them to do some work on the new Cobra... let me tell you I was excited to hear that they weren't doing away with SVT.

Black93Cobra

Established Member
Looks like the rumors were just that, rumors. At least Ford heard the collective voice of the SVT enthusiast community. Even if SVT weren't in jeopardy, it is beneficial for Ford to hear from us on occassion to verify that the market still exists for their products.

I also signed the online petition. A big thimbs up to everyone who chimed in to show their support. :thumbsup:

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
the postponement of the lightning is probably due to development work on the 3valve v10, lots of rumors flying around about the truck, but it boils down to the fact its got to beat the dodge, no matter what! cant wait to see the cobra

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
All in all...It's best they take their time and do the job right from the get go......Makes for a better finished product..:beer:

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
disagree

I have to disagree with some people. Ford has a good thing going and is going to screw it all up again. First, the only reason they have sold so many cobras and lightnings is because they are somewhat affordable. With the games they are playing I bet the prices will jump at least $10,000 from what they are now. I can't afford that. Another thing, the lightning rules, if it's gone too long, those other brands will be putting out some performance trucks and some people will jump camp...maybe not to return!! SVT and ford can really take chances sometimes. The only reason the lightning did so well is because there really wasn't any competition...Guess what..it's coming (SRT, Chevy's SSR has 390 hp now, etc...) So when chevy gets rid of the camaro, and firebird, ford finally gives us a cobra with power to compete and blow the doors off of it. The lightning rules without competition, now that others are coming to play...no more lightning. What is wrong with this picture. HORSEPOWER SELLS!!! Ford comes out with a couple of winners, the 500 and freestyle, the only thing going against them is that they only have 203 hp available at launch!!!! What a mistake, they could have taken over domestic car sales once more but they have to scimp on the drivetrain again. Why do chevy pick-ups sell anyways. Because they have balls. The new ford is up to 300 hp but the friggin thing gained like 700 pounds!!HELLO!! Whatever!! I still am a die hard ford fan and think they rule but the corporate brass can make stupid and daring decisions sometimes. Do you think the FORD GT would have been wanted so badly if it only would have had 400 hp??? I don't think so.

95_XB331

Established Member
Hmmm... All these SVT posts and change in SVT staff (Coletti in particular) get me thinking. Maybe we are likely to see a "realignment". With the GT350/500's coming into view, all the other one-off stangs, maybe the next gen cobra will be a non-SVT product, but will still have SVT DNA so to speak. I mean the Bullitt and Mach 1 were not direct SVT issue, but are excellent examples of an SVT-like product. One unique thing that makes SVT special from the other models is the "enhanced service" and exclusivity that appears to be shrinking in features as each new model year comes out. I mean I can't get a free rental car anymore during service in the '04 SVT plan... Ford could be basically keeping the car's features (good), but getting rid of the service, pampering stuff that comes with SVT (??).

Last edited:

Justin281

Established Member
Is it at all possible that cobra could be ready by summer or ready to order earlier. forgetting rumors and everything since we really don't know how far along they are.

Lawman85

Banned
Originally posted by 95_XB331
Hmmm... All these SVT posts and change in SVT staff (Coletti in particular) get me thinking. Maybe we are likely to see a "realignment". With the GT350/500's coming into view, all the other one-off stangs, maybe the next gen cobra will be a non-SVT product, but will still have SVT DNA so to speak. I mean the Bullitt and Mach 1 were not direct SVT issue, but are excellent examples of an SVT-like product. One unique thing that makes SVT special from the other models is the "enhanced service" and exclusivity that appears to be shrinking in features as each new model year comes out. I mean I can't get a free rental car anymore during service in the '04 SVT plan... Ford could be basically keeping the car's features (good), but getting rid of the service, pampering stuff that comes with SVT (??).

I'm allowed a rental car with my 04 Cobra.

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
This months motor trend has an article about the 05 GT. It mentions SVT a number of times, they don't use the word Cobra but they say that there will be an all aluminum motor in the the SVT mustang which will be out late 05.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
cars

maybe the next big thing will be a SHELBY!!! Maybe that is what all this is about!!

ogadam

Established Member
yes they are thinking about bringing back gt350 and gt500 (rumors so i dont know how correct that is)

Black93Cobra

Established Member
I'd prefer that Ford call their SVT Mustang a Cobra, it maintains the strong lineage. Plus the Cobra has respect on the street, even among the ricers. They KNOW the '03 - '04 Cobras are serious equipment. Personally, I don't care for Shelby and would much rather see Ford stick to their current program for the Cobra and Lightning rather than see them switch midstream to a Shelby variant. Just my $.02

jean

Established Member
If Ford bring backthe gt350 and gt500 ,it will be competition for the cobra?A lot of models to sell.

jean

Established Member
If Ford bring backthe gt350 and gt500 ,it will be competition for the cobra?A lot of models to sell.Will make sense to built Gt shelby for 05-06 and do the cobra in 07,a lot of excitement for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread