SVT Website - No cobra until MY2007

WS.6 Man

Established Member
If you can wait for the next SVT Cobra I would. It is rumored that the next C6 ZO6 Vette will have a price of over $65K; I even heard it might be close to $70K. The only C6 Vettes I had seen were loaded and had MSRP was in the $51K price range, unless you order base Vette with no options. I would hate to pay that much $$ and Ford will bring out a Cobra that will stump on it. As far as spending over $50,000 for a sports car, I would also wait for the next BMW M3, rumors are that it will have a 400HP V-8 and that crappy I-drive will be an option. Not sure it will stay in the same price range though.

As far as the rumor of the higher price on the next ZO6, my guess it that GM wants it to be an exotic car fighter, but cheaper than the Viper?

Anyways I am itching to see how the next SVT Cobra will look and what kind of power levels it will have.

Come to think about it, my car will be almost 7 to 8 years old, before I make my next purchase.

Formula51

Established Member
WS.6 Man said:
higher price on the next ZO6, my guess it that GM wants it to be an exotic car fighter, but cheaper than the Viper?

Exactly, the people that buy exotics want the look at me car and they want everyone to know it is expensive and rare. Of course this is a stereotype and not always the case. I believe GM is trying to get closer to this, while still be the cheapest sports car to compete with the big boys. We will have all the details come January, but its looking like a stout 500hp LS7(rumors of titanium connecting rods), 3000lb(ish) weight, 6-piston front calipers (something crazy like 16inch rotors rumored), 4-piston rear (believed 14 inch rotors), hand assembled engines, etc....Should be one hell of a car for $60-70k.

jwfisher

Banned
Not 16" rotors.... that's measuring the overall circumference of the entire system including the calipers. Sometimes you see the vendors themselves measure it this way... I remember Mitsubishi I think it was saying 14" rotors a while back... actualy rotor diameter was only 12.6.

The new Z06 rotors themselves are only 14" in diameter... and that's what fits inside 18" wheels very well.

-Jeff

jwfisher

Banned
Not 16" rotors.... that's measuring the overall circumference of the entire system including the calipers. Sometimes you see the vendors themselves measure it this way... I remember Mitsubishi I think it was saying 14" rotors a while back... actualy rotor diameter was only 12.6.

The new Z06 rotors themselves are only 14" in diameter... and that's what fits inside 18" wheels very well.

-Jeff

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
Brakes that size would be useless. You can't stop any faster than your tires allow anyway.

tapout632

Established Member
Do you think it would be a good idea to trade my '01 Cobra for an '04 Cobra or just wait until Fall 2006 for the '07 Cobras? Would it be worth it trading for an '04 now?

Detroit_Doc

Established Member
Tapout632 - It depends a lot on your situation. I live in Michigan, so a fall'06 release is the same as a spring '07 release. So for me, if they aren't going to release it in spring '06, I'd rather buy a GT this fall to hold me over.

The other aspect is money. A lot of people are speculating the '07 cobras will carry a $40K price tag. My girlfriend works at ford and I bug her everyday to get me more info on the '07 Cobra. She hasn't got me a lot, but the one thing she told me was to buddy up to a dealer now. In '03 they produced something like 14,000. In '04 it was in the 3,000 - 4,000 range. In '07 they will be even scarcer. So don't expect discounts.

So if you aren't ready to drop $40K+ in '07, then I'd opt for the deep discounts now being given by dealers on '04s (in in many cases '03s) that are still on the lot.

The other thing to consider is what if the '07 isn't supercharged. Let's say it's just a hot N/A motor. Let's even say a 425 HP N/A motor. While that's cool, it will be much harder to bolt on the HP like the 03/04. So you are taking a risk there too.

And the most important reason to buy a '03/'04 is so that I have one less person in front of me waiting for one! :)

A2V2NV

Established Member
svtcobra0304 said:
hopefully, since it wont come out for 3 years that they'll make it even better than the 03-04 cobra.

Easier said than done...you guys with '03-'04 Cobras are spoiled, they have everything, the fuel system, cooling system, tranny, rerend, engine, etc....

joe

A2V2NV

Established Member
Hard choice.....both are incredible!!! I'm afraid the new Cobra is gonna be expensive, presonally if I got a deal on an '04 I probably do it, but I'd hate to be upset in 3 years when the new 5.4 snake comes out!

joe

A2V2NV

Established Member
I think it really depends on your situation....for me, anything over $30K is hard to justify.....I almost think it would be better to buy the new '05 Mustang and modify it, over waiting for the Cobra. The difference in price will buy you mods to surpass the new Cobra. The new Cobra will have POTENTIAL, but selling it from the dealership, will mean legally that it has to be detuned, the government is simply not going to let them sell a super-powerful car, and even if they did, do you want to pay what it'll cost? (remember the Y2K Cobra????) Look, some of you guys have the money, hell, i'm HAPPY for ya!!!! Just in my situation, cost is a major factor for me, as musclecars are a luxury. I love my '01, and have about 30K total in it. Can't see swaping it unless the deal was great!! I personally think that chevy is gonna have a hard time selling a 70K vette. The people with alot of money want a marque(sp?) brand, not Chevrolet. But hell, what do I know? I'm just a blue collar working stiff, with a HOT GT in the garage that I baby, and watching what happens and wondering where I can scratch up the money if a car that warrants it comes out!!

joe

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Just looking at it from a different perspective

Detroit_Doc said:
The other thing to consider is what if the '07 isn't supercharged. Let's say it's just a hot N/A motor. Let's even say a 425 HP N/A motor. While that's cool, it will be much harder to bolt on the HP like the 03/04. So you are taking a risk there too.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I hope the new Cobra is N/A. I'd settle for 400HP/400TRQ. An upgraded version of the 00R' 5.4 engine would be my pick.

I didn't buy a 03/04 beacuse of the S/C. I like road racing and O/T. It's just too hard to make a S/C car run cool when exposed to lap after lap of high rpm's. They aren't as reliable. They cost more $$ (race tires, brake maintanence, and S/C maintanence). A S/C car is harder to drive on a road course (it's hard to throttle control the car through the turns). The racing series will stick you in a faster class (vs. a N/A engine). You'll have to race with the turbo 911 Porsches and Z06's (GT-1 in SCCA).

I agree the '07 Cobra (if there is one) will be at least $40K (plus TTT). I suspect the car will be very hard to buy at anything less than MSRP, and the wait could be long unless (a) you pay a premium over sticker or (b) you own or are friendly with a Ford dealer. It took me 8 months to get my '94 Cobra after the introduction.

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
A2V2NV said:
Well, you could buy a new GT, and put on a whipple supercharger. Ford motorsport is supposed to be selling it over the counter this spring!!

joe

KB is advertising an intercooled 2.2 for the 05. I'm going to wait to see if SVT uses another stout bottom end. otherwise im going 03/04

Users who are viewing this thread