SvtF Handling Question??

6SpeedLover

Established Member
My question goes out to the Road-Course guys.... I love to Drag Race, but I have been trying small road-course tracks, because my car handles very well. But my main question is..... When im going around tight turns, will the ass end totally come out and around??? Or will she stay pretty much stable??? The reason im asking is, I keep getting more & more brave around the track, but I always think the ass end is going to burn me, I got a-bit nutz around one slight hairpin, and she drifted on me slightly, but I still had control (scared me a-bit) I know, the worst thing that could happen is a full 360, but I was just wondering if these little buggers are that stable??? Thanx for reading, any advice will be greatly appreciated :read:

Primaris

Established Member
If you loose it are you going to wreck the car? If so keep it below the limit.

The SVTF is probably the most forgiving car I've driven. This makes if very easy to take up the the limit, or cross over, and recover. But, no car will save you from your own stupidity. (I've spun the SVTF enough to know)

My car when on street tires will tend to over steer very very slightly on lift throttle cornering. It does not ever think about snap over steer. (If your SVTF is something is wrong)

If you enter a turn too hot with a stock SVTF the car will go into terminal under steer.

Tommy Gunnz

Established Member
I have the Eibach Pro-System Plus and Steeda Competition 28.6mm Rear Sway Bar on street tires and on dry it holds strong at 40 around corners with very minimal over steer but wet mass under steer.

sLeEstAk

digital being @ large
Established Member
From my experience in autoX'ing the car....

Stock set up, you will most likely break traction and understeer - or push. However, you can push the car right up to its limits and if you lift up on the throttle enough, it will bring the backend out. So you can, in fact, induce the oversteer. A larger sway bar on the rear will take you more towards oversteer.

Right now I am on eibach sways: 22mm front / 25mm rear, Apex Springs 150 front/ 200 rear, and KYB AGX's

Stays fairly neutral, maybe a touch on oversteer, but I can dial it out either way with tire pressure and strut adjustments.

6SpeedLover

Established Member
Primaris said:
If you loose it are you going to wreck the car? If so keep it below the limit.

The SVTF is probably the most forgiving car I've driven. This makes if very easy to take up the the limit, or cross over, and recover. But, no car will save you from your own stupidity. (I've spun the SVTF enough to know)

My car when on street tires will tend to over steer very very slightly on lift throttle cornering. It does not ever think about snap over steer. (If your SVTF is something is wrong)

If you enter a turn too hot with a stock SVTF the car will go into terminal under steer.
Thanx Primaris, I was waiting for you to post lol.... So mainly what you are saying is, if im all stock (suspension wise) I should get to know the car alot better, and try not to be stupid... I seen your videos a while back, and I was very impressed. And you say you motor is mostly stock??? Thank You again, and I will respect your advice, and try to learn off of it. I have to admit, road-course is alot more fun than I thought :pepper: :banana:

6SpeedLover

Established Member
Tommy Gunnz said:
I have the Eibach Pro-System Plus and Steeda Competition 28.6mm Rear Sway Bar on street tires and on dry it holds strong at 40 around corners with very minimal over steer but wet mass under steer.
Thank you for the options, sounds like a nice set-up you got there :rockon:

6SpeedLover

Established Member
sLeEstAk said:
From my experience in autoX'ing the car....

Stock set up, you will most likely break traction and understeer - or push. However, you can push the car right up to its limits and if you lift up on the throttle enough, it will bring the backend out. So you can, in fact, induce the oversteer. A larger sway bar on the rear will take you more towards oversteer.

Right now I am on eibach sways: 22mm front / 25mm rear, Apex Springs 150 front/ 200 rear, and KYB AGX's

Stays fairly neutral, maybe a touch on oversteer, but I can dial it out either way with tire pressure and strut adjustments.
Sounds like you really know your Svtf, as well as some other guys on here. Just to let you know, I really appreciate the advice, and comments. I modded my Svtf for Drag Racing, but that shit gets old with a 4-Banger lol... So I thought to myself, the svtf is built to handle.... Why not give it a try.... Sounds like im going to buying some rear sway-bars :beer: Thanx again for the tips guys....

Primaris

Established Member
6SpeedLover said:
Thanx Primaris, I was waiting for you to post lol.... So mainly what you are saying is, if im all stock (suspension wise) I should get to know the car alot better, and try not to be stupid... I seen your videos a while back, and I was very impressed. And you say you motor is mostly stock??? Thank You again, and I will respect your advice, and try to learn off of it. I have to admit, road-course is alot more fun than I thought :pepper: :banana:

Thanks for the complement. I have a K&N drop in, magnacore plug wires, Koni yellow struts up front, GAZ adjustable rear shocks, a MBRP exhaust, no fog lights, and light weight TeamDynamics wheels. (these are the only changes allowed in the class I autocross in) I am running 235/40-17's Kumho SPT's on the street. Everything else is as from the factory.

Well you should always try to not be stupid :poke: hehe
I wasn't trying to make any grand statements other than it's not worth wrecking the car. But, you are correct as you should always strive to know more about the car.
Have fun, but just try to keep in mind on the street anything can happen at any given moment; deer, kids, gravel, oil, old folk, new construction, etc. Anyway, have fun.

If you really want to try and become a better driver and know what the SVTF can do, get yourself out to some autocrosses. If you like them go to an autocross school. I feel trying to be an expert at autocrossing is like trying to be a pro golfer. With autocross as in golf you are trying for extreme precision, like trying to be with in 3 inches of the apex cone at 60 mph with less then five tenths of a second to get setup for the next turn. But autocross differs from golf in two major ways, one the action is non stop from the time your told to go until you cross the finish line. Two, most people don't think they are Tiger Woods, but we all think we are the best driver in the world. So the vast majority of people who try to autocross, get spanked and never show up again.

I love driving road courses, but I think autocross is a better format for learning how to drive a car at its limits. Road racers have a bag of tricks they can use to stay in the lead, blocking, earlier apex, late braking, etc. But, with autocross the only goal is perfection, anything else is slower.

I'll stop rambling now....

6SpeedLover

Established Member
Primaris said:
Thanks for the complement. I have a K&N drop in, magnacore plug wires, Koni yellow struts up front, GAZ adjustable rear shocks, a MBRP exhaust, no fog lights, and light weight TeamDynamics wheels. (these are the only changes allowed in the class I autocross in) I am running 235/40-17's Kumho SPT's on the street. Everything else is as from the factory.

Well you should always try to not be stupid :poke: hehe
I wasn't trying to make any grand statements other than it's not worth wrecking the car. But, you are correct as you should always strive to know more about the car.
Have fun, but just try to keep in mind on the street anything can happen at any given moment; deer, kids, gravel, oil, old folk, new construction, etc. Anyway, have fun.

If you really want to try and become a better driver and know what the SVTF can do, get yourself out to some autocrosses. If you like them go to an autocross school. I feel trying to be an expert at autocrossing is like trying to be a pro golfer. With autocross as in golf you are trying for extreme precision, like trying to be with in 3 inches of the apex cone at 60 mph with less then five tenths of a second to get setup for the next turn. But autocross differs from golf in two major ways, one the action is non stop from the time your told to go until you cross the finish line. Two, most people don't think they are Tiger Woods, but we all think we are the best driver in the world. So the vast majority of people who try to autocross, get spanked and never show up again.

I love driving road courses, but I think autocross is a better format for learning how to drive a car at its limits. Road racers have a bag of tricks they can use to stay in the lead, blocking, earlier apex, late braking, etc. But, with autocross the only goal is perfection, anything else is slower.

I'll stop rambling now....
Everything you said is Much appreciated :) Thanx for taking the time to type all the advice. I didnt cosider it rambling.... I think ill consider the schooling first, before I get my feet fully wet lol.......

PinoYnMotioN

Juice
Established Member
Nice! Well I'm actually going to put my SVT on the track this Sunday. Mostly stock, except rims. I have all weather tires and I'm probably going to kill'em. I was gonna ask for some pointers but I think this is enough. Maybe I'll have noob's luck for the first time, eh (probably not... bleh)?

Primaris

Established Member
Air your front tires way up. Like 45 psi up. Since we don't have much camber this helps to keep the front tires from rolling over to far.

PinoYnMotioN

Juice
Established Member
Primaris said:
Air your front tires way up. Like 45 psi up. Since we don't have much camber this helps to keep the front tires from rolling over to far.

Thanks! Hopefully I'll have some cool vids or pics up next week! Muahah!

UTlapso

Pitch Black 03
Established Member
Primaris
You run 45psi in your front tires? I run 28-34psi and my sidewalls never roll past the tread. 45psi will kill your area of contact to the ground.

6SpeedLover
I wouldn't throw a rear bar on if you are currently fearing that the rear end will get loose. 45psi in the front tires will def give you tons of understeer. I would make sure you have a nice set of tires and then bars and springs. Suspension set up is all up to your driving style. I have mine set up for a slight oversteer and I can balance it out with tire pressure. Try some Falken 615's I love them.

Primaris

Established Member
UTlapso said:
Primaris
You run 45psi in your front tires? I run 28-34psi and my sidewalls never roll past the tread. 45psi will kill your area of contact to the ground.

6SpeedLover
I wouldn't throw a rear bar on if you are currently fearing that the rear end will get loose. 45psi in the front tires will def give you tons of understeer. I would make sure you have a nice set of tires and then bars and springs. Suspension set up is all up to your driving style. I have mine set up for a slight oversteer and I can balance it out with tire pressure. Try some Falken 615's I love them.

It depends on the tire. When I first started to autocross I was using the stock conties. The sidewall was so soft on those tires I had to run 55 psi+ to keep from wearing off the lettering on the side of the tire. With the Avon Tech R's I can run 40's hot. You can verify how much the tires are rolling over by marking the sidewall of the tire with chalk or white shoe polish. Regardless of what happens to the contact patch you never want to be driving on the sidewall. So while you would think adding pressure would cause under steer if you are rolling the tire over you are not getting full traction anyway. So when this is happening adding more pressure actually gets rid of under steer.

The class I compete in doesn't allow the suspension modification you are talking about. But, yes if you have the money and the rules allow there is much you can improve with the Focus. Namely a LSD and 2.0 to 3.0 degrees of front camber. The addition of front camber would allow the use of normal tire pressures.

The 615's are a great tire autocross, but they over heat way to fast on the open track and become greasy.

Last edited:

UTlapso

Pitch Black 03
Established Member
I will have to try running high psi before I bash it. When I autoX I always check the sidewalls after a run and have never gotten to the letters. You can clearly see the rough rubber on the edges of the tread. Also I have a lot of time into my suspension and am proud to say it doesn't even rub "225 tires and .6inches lower".

6SpeedLover

Established Member
Very well put guys!!!! Auto Xing is alot tougher than I thought... lol But its all in good fun... right??? Thanx for all the input (this is why I love this web-site)

Users who are viewing this thread