SVTF Supercharger

FocusSVT0004

Established Member
I've been trying to find a way to buy a supercharger for my 04 SVTF. Is anyone on here selling a Powerworks, slightly used. I'm struggling to try to afford a brand new one. Thanks in advance

FocusSVT0004

Established Member
I was hoping to find a used one, I can't afford a brand new one now, need to save some more cash. But i did email cfm as well... waitin to hear from them.
Does anybody know how much psi a stock SVTF can safely handle? also the powerworks supercharger online doesnt list how much psi it runs, anyone know this info?

Last edited:

02AllBlackSVT

Hmm....
Established Member
Yeah but that is a Great deal for a new one. You really cant trust alot ppl on used ones really. (not saying ppl arent honest.)

I believe the P/W does 8 psi. Uh as for power the stock you can do safe 12 psi I do believe.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
I ran 14 lbs for over 3 years, no problems. It's all in the tune. But I will say that at 16lbs I popped the compression ring in #3. But again, it's really all in the tune.

HalfTime

Established Member
Last word I heard was thier was no aftermarcket cams for a boosted SVTF that out perform the stock cams. This was almost a year ago though, things change. If you know of some, point me in the right direction.

FociSVT03

Established Member

FocusSVT0004

Established Member
at first I think i'm stickin with 8-10 psi with the cfm charger. I have to find the money to get that first. then maybe see how it goes from there.

tjs98gt

Established Member
id love to just throw a BBK JRSC on mine since they are so cheap used and im not looking for insane power from this thing

FocusSVT0004

Established Member
Do you need to upgrade clutch with a charger? I'm completely stock except an exhaust, lookin to charge. also i was lookin online at the clutches. I saw a stage I, III, and IV. why no stage II?

HalfTime

Established Member
If you go with just JRS then the stock clutch will hold the power just fine. If you go with the Vortech H.O., my stock clutch lasted less then 5k miles. I went with the stage 3 clutch and lightweight flywheel. Help out a LOT! Big difference.

FocusSVT0004

Established Member
If you go with just JRS then the stock clutch will hold the power just fine. If you go with the Vortech H.O., my stock clutch lasted less then 5k miles. I went with the stage 3 clutch and lightweight flywheel. Help out a LOT! Big difference.

Ok i'm goin with the cfm charger, and i think i may go with the stage II clutch as well. Can i run stock clutch on a new charger for a while and then when i get enough money buy the clutch? or should i go clutch first to be safe?

HalfTime

Established Member
You can for a bit. You will start to notice the clutch slipping high rpms, and you will not be able to power shift. But or the most part your stock clutch will hold for a while, like I said already, mine lasted less then 5k miles. Slipping top rpms, and not holding the power on the shifts.

FocusSVT0004

Established Member
You can for a bit. You will start to notice the clutch slipping high rpms, and you will not be able to power shift. But or the most part your stock clutch will hold for a while, like I said already, mine lasted less then 5k miles. Slipping top rpms, and not holding the power on the shifts.

so to do this right i should definatly upgrade clutch first, then supercharge my SVTF..... Can i run a stock Flywheel with a stage II clutch?

HalfTime

Established Member
You can run the upgraded clutch with the stock fly wheel. But you will probally need to reserface it first. And because it ia a dual mass fly wheel, it's a pain. If you can, upgrade to a lightweight flywheel at the same time, you'll love it VERY much. revs so much quiker then stock, when you let off, the rpms drop right away instead of floating, and you can regain about 30 whp from the rotaitional mass. The upgraded clutch, and lightweight flywheel alone will really waken up the car. Then when you boost it, so much more.

FocusSVT0004

Established Member
You can run the upgraded clutch with the stock fly wheel. But you will probally need to reserface it first. And because it ia a dual mass fly wheel, it's a pain. If you can, upgrade to a lightweight flywheel at the same time, you'll love it VERY much. revs so much quiker then stock, when you let off, the rpms drop right away instead of floating, and you can regain about 30 whp from the rotaitional mass. The upgraded clutch, and lightweight flywheel alone will really waken up the car. Then when you boost it, so much more.

do you know how much horsepower and torque a stock flywheel can handle?

HalfTime

Established Member
Nope, but I do know what it CAN'T handle, a Vortech H.O. kit. Sorry Bro, I just don;'t know what the cut off is. I know when I was at 253whp n 196wtq the clutch would slip on a powershift. When I was at 299whp and 256wtq the clutch would slip above 5k rpms. That's when I changed to the CM Stage 3 n CM Lightweight Flywheel. Jumped up to 331whp and 268wtq plus a few mods. The I blew the stock bottom end, now I've gone full built, I'll post new numbers when I get them.

Users who are viewing this thread