SVTFocus Noob's Engine build

MalcolmV8

Established Member
What did you pay? If you don't want to share online no biggie!

A typical set from Denny is running right around $1200 with AP steel top, napier 2nd, tool steel pins, and coated top and skirt.

The base package was $1175 and the skirt coating was extra. I want to say the skirt coating was $130 but I don't remember. I'd have to dig up old receipts to get you an exact number.

SVTFocus Noob

Established Member
Just saw all this, already went with Diamond Dished, they are right here in MI I ordered them at 4pm tues and had them in my hands 11am Wed, so if customer service is ever needed it's a simple drive over to them.. As for going Dished over flat top, I wanted to go with a lower compression to be boost friendly and eventually run a bigger blower, from my understanding E-85 loves boost and boost love E-85? Or are you saying I need to return the pistons? I understand right now with a Ported Eaton I'll be struggling compared to stock engines or flat top pistons out there with same mods, but I'm willing to loose some HP while my bank makes room for a bigger blower.
As far as what my machinist up here said is I needed to go larger than stock I went with .020 so if there ever is another rebuild I have room to bore it out again.

Jake

SVTFocus Noob

Established Member
Sorry just to clarify my last post isn't to be cocky or biased I'm laying out my thought process for you on why I went with dished, if I am wrong or there are better options please let me know! They haven't been assembled or installed yet so not too late to make some changes to the build.

Jake

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Low compression simply means you are giving up power. If you are running E-85 there is no reason to run low compression as it will greatly enhance your detonation resistance. The days of "you need low compression for boost" are dead. 9.5:1 would be the lowest I'd look at.

onefastcar

Established Member
Returned the pistons go with a -3 cc piston bump up your compression. Even with a ported Eaton your car will be a whole different beast. I am at 10.1 and love how the car drive.it makes a stock cobra feel sluggish

ctgreddy

Established Member
Since Diamonds local to you where abouts in michigan you at? I'm about to move to waterford and work in dearborn at a performance shop. Always good to meet more cobra owners.

Also if you can, I'd return the pistons and get higher compression. 10:1 with e85 is perfect. and will make power easier without any negatives. Unfortunately I got a STEAL on a set of bad ass diamonds that are sitting in my room. But they're only 9.1:1 which sucks. At the time I do an engine build I may sell them and get higher compression but we'll see.

SVTFocus Noob

Established Member
I'm located in Brighton, just finally got a look on here whoops. Got a hold of a diamond catalog and looking at their catalog and what is available for our engine I have the lowest comp piston avl @ -19cc, and hopefully if all goes right I can swap for a -11cc or the -5.2cc both are in the compression ratio ballpark of what all of you are saying to be around. I'll give them a call tom and see what they say along with machinist to stop him from balancing since the pistons I want will weigh a couple more grams with a smaller dish than currently. Thank you all!

Jake

SVTFocus Noob

Established Member
Got lucky! Diamond is all on board with me swapping them out in person and Machinist hasn't touched them as far as balancing yet! Getting them back from him today, and really? I was think -11 since it's closer to stock comp ratio, but -5 was in stock too on shelf he said.

Jake

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Got lucky! Diamond is all on board with me swapping them out in person and Machinist hasn't touched them as far as balancing yet! Getting them back from him today, and really? I was think -11 since it's closer to stock comp ratio, but -5 was in stock too on shelf he said.

Jake
Get a flat top piston, that's what you need for running e85. And your machinist doesn't even need the pistons and pins except to weigh them. The balancing is done to the crank via bobweights. Make sure to get a .180 wall 9310 pin at least also. The pins that come with shelf pistons are inadequate.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Got a hold of a diamond catalog and looking at their catalog and what is available for our engine I have the lowest comp piston avl @ -19cc

Oh that's terrible. I ran -19 cc in a build I did back in 08/09 and it was horrible. The low compression kills throttle response and makes the car feel very lazy and you have to crank the boost way up to get any power. Kills mpg a fair amount too which sucks because the tanks are so tiny on these cars planning routes so you can get to another E85 pump gets even worse.

Your best bet are flat top pistons. One of the best builds I've ever done. Only intake reliefs are required and it puts you at 10.5 ~ 10.7 SCR depending on a few other factors. Throttle response is crisp and instant, power is fantastic with less boost and the car sounds really mean. High compression motors have a really good exhaust note.

SVTFocus Noob

Established Member
Damn, I hear you guys, but I already did the swap one for one for the -5.2cc dished. They didn't have 8 on the shelf though someone did inventory wrong and they only had 7 avl yesterday so they are making me a fresh set of 8 for free no restocking fees or anything since my -19cc set was still unopened. From reading their catalog and going off of the stock engine being a dished piston @ 8.5:1 comp ratio. Shouldn't these -5.2cc's be good? I'm already raising comp ratio from stock and it's def not as high as you guys are talking about but shouldn't I be well off compared to all the stockers out there? Also i'm pretty sure they might have to surface the heads/deck so compared to stock there's a minute raise in comp as well.

Jake

SVTFocus Noob

Established Member
Alright guys gonna get these pics uploaded go ahead and scrutinize everything you see. I'd rather correct stuff now then drop the engine in with issues. To address some you will see in pics yes I have new Timing Chain Kit and had the crank gear backwards at first lol and new rear main seal bolts have been purchased like manual says to. I'll add my issue to next post sorry for long read here.

Jake

SVTFocus Noob

Established Member
IMG_4122.JPG
IMG_4123.JPG
IMG_4124.JPG
IMG_4127.JPG
IMG_4129.JPG
IMG_4133.JPG
IMG_4135.JPG
IMG_4140.JPG
IMG_4144.JPG
IMG_4146.JPG

SVTFocus Noob

Established Member
But as you can see in my final pic from the back that my D/S Exh cam is advanced, that is THE ONLY way I can get the darn chain on and when I install rockers back in it was an issue because rotating the engine slowly I felt a "wal" which I know is the valves hitting. Take rockers out and engine rotates freely as it should. So current status is rockers out until i can get this Exh cam where it needs to be when slipping chain on. Any help greatly appreciated!

Jake

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread