SVTOA event waiver warning

kassman

Established Member
sorry to be a party-pooper but I thought my fellow Cobra owners should be aware of this...I recently received an applicaton to join a local SVTOA group. They sponsor track meets, race nights, etc... The application includes a waiver that, if signed, would have the member waive any and all claims against the group, the sponsor of the event and FORD. So if you are at the event and something happens to your car and/or you are injured, you have waived any right to go after Ford, even if the damage or injury was not your fault (ie. no modifications or improper use). If you think this through and consider what could possibly go wrong at one of these events, it is a fantastic way for Ford to limit their liability. I can understand a waiver for the event sponsor and the track, but FORD as well, come on.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
On the advice of a lawyer friend of mine, "Those waivers aren't worth the paper they're printed on." Meaning, that if something happened due to neglegence on the part of the host, you can certaintly go after them regardless of what the waiver says.

There is no such thing as a waiver against neglegence (which in this case includes an implied warrantee of merchantability for a specific purpose - driving on a maintained track at high speeds, for which you pay a fee), which is the sole thing that you would be going after someone for anyways (ie, the track was too slick and you were in an accident because it wasn't properly maintained, or you were allowed to drive without proper training).

maoun

Established Member
i'm on the board of svtoa socal chapter.....and i have much experience with WOL...waiver of liabilities..

they're worthless

m.

03Redfire Cobra

Toss my salad?
Established Member
Originally posted by kassman
sorry to be a party-pooper but I thought my fellow Cobra owners should be aware of this...I recently received an applicaton to join a local SVTOA group. They sponsor track meets, race nights, etc... The application includes a waiver that, if signed, would have the member waive any and all claims against the group, the sponsor of the event and FORD. So if you are at the event and something happens to your car and/or you are injured, you have waived any right to go after Ford, even if the damage or injury was not your fault (ie. no modifications or improper use). If you think this through and consider what could possibly go wrong at one of these events, it is a fantastic way for Ford to limit their liability. I can understand a waiver for the event sponsor and the track, but FORD as well, come on.

I got that some invite... I am right down the road from you...

Users who are viewing this thread