SVTP Gym/Workout Mega-Thread!! Routines, Diets, Supplements, etc.

Euphoric One

Uncommon Sense
Established Member
OK, I know, gym threads are a dime a dozen around here, but most are pretty high level. Basically, posted by beginners looking for general advice about "what supplements will make me Hulk Hogan in month?!" or "How do I lose weight and build lean mass?!" BORING!! I'll answer both: None and stop eating crap and burn more calories than you take in. Good deal, that's out of the way.

I'm going back to the gym full-time this week. Haven't worked out at all in 5 months and haven't been consistently since Christmas break '07. As a result, I've lost about 25lbs. Pathetic.

So here in the Day 1 Routine: Shoulders and Abs.

Behind-the-neck military presses - 4 working sets (after sufficiently warmed up) - 12-6 reps from the first set to last.
Seated dumbbell presses - 3 sets - 8-10 reps
Superset of standing side dumbbell laterals with front dumbbell raises - 3 sets - 10-12 reps each
Lying rear delt dumbbell lateral raises - 3 sets - 8-10 reps
Dumbbell shrugs and behind the back barbell shrugs - 2 sets each - ~10 reps
Then some various abs exercises; probably a mix of crunches and leg raises.

I may throw in some rear cable laterals for a couple sets too, but I need to see how long everything will take. Seems like it's going to be a long workout. I don't like to be in the gym more than 75 minutes.

The only supplements I plan on using are Optimum 100% Whey for directly after workouts (with some fruit) and Muscle Milk (and fruit) for before bed. Probably throw in some Cell Mass down the road, but not right now.

Diet will consist heavily of grilled chicken, fish, ground turkey, pasta, rice and wheat bread. One area I'm still trying to figure out is a good pre-workout meal. I used to buy the Big Colossal bars, but that's too expensive. Leaning towards a cup of rice or pasta mixed with ground turkey and various sauces, then a Gatorade.

Daily protein target will be around 1.25g x 1lb of body weight. That's lower than what most "bodybuilder" types recommend, but a little higher than what medical professionals will recommend. I'm trying to mix overall health with still getting in good shape.

OK, so lets see some other routines, diet plans, supplement talk, or even critiques of stuff already posted. What of it?!

chimazo

Established Member
OK, I'll jump in.

I've been lifting for more than 25yrs, never taking off more than a week at at time during that span. I run about 260 over the winter and 270-275 the rest of the year, and, no, I am not fat.

Your shoulder workout is what I would call an "advanced" workout, and really only one that a bodybuilder should be doing, and even then perhaps only in prepping for a contest/show. Eat big, sleep big, lift big. Heavy weight doing the basics correctly will go a LONG way, and will get you out of the gym in a hour. Shoulders are not a large muscle group. A heavy pressing exercise and a lateral exercise should be sufficient. The rear delts are worked indirectly when doing a back workout, and the fronts when doing chest, so there's no need to hit these directly unless they are really lacking for some reason (or you are doing a contest). I work traps during my back workout.

On the other hand, if whatever you're doing is working for you, stick with it. If you're not growing or getting muscular after spending too much time in the gym, find another activity. This is one thing I'll never understand. If you suck at something, find something else. Don't bother fighting genetics. I'll never hit a baseball for shit, and I realized it LONG ago, so I gave it up and kept trying until I found something I was decent at. If you can't draw, put down the pencil.:banana:

RCali2522

Established Member
Just really got back into it again after a 3 month break. Been goin religiously now for the past 3 months, and just this past week started with new supplements after just doin the whey protein thing.

Day 1: Chest and Back

Dumbell Flat bench: 4 sets 12,10,8,6
Dumbell Incline: 4 sets 8,8,8,8
Dumbell Flat Bench flys: 3x10 supersetted with Laying Dumbell Pullovers 3x10
Immediatly after that pushups till failure x2. inclined, flat or spiderman pushups.

Seated Row close grip: 4 sets 12,10,8,6
Seated Row wide grip:4 sets 12,10,8,6
Lat. Pull down: 3x10
hyperextensions with a 25 lb plate for lower back: 3x12
Then maybe throw in some other back excercises if im not shot out by then.(deadlifts etc.)

Day 2: Bi's and Tri's

Overhead Cable Curl both arms same time: 5 sets 15,12,12,10,8 (burns the shit out of your bi's and they get massively pumped, great beginning bi workout)
Incline Dumbbell Curl: 4 sets 12,10,8,6
Seated Dumbell Preacher Curl (one arm at a time real slow): 15,12,10,8
Standing Barbell Curl: 3x10
Hammer Curls: 3x10

Weighted Bench Dips with 2 45 lb plates on lap: 2 sets of 15 with 1 plate 2 sets of 12 with 2 plates.(BEST tri excercise you can do hands down, all you really need! take my word for it.)
Tricep Extensions: 3x10
Skull Crushers: 3x10
Then 2 or 3 Different cable excerciese (rope, straight bar or Vbar. Mostly V or rope)- 3x10

Day 3: Shoulders and Legs

Dumbell Military Press: 4 sets 12,10,8,6
Side raises: 3x10
Front Raises: 3x10
Shrugs: 3x10
Smith machine Upright Row: 4 sets 12,10,8,6

Leg Press: 4 sets 15,12,10,8
Leg extensions: 4 sets 12-15
Hamstring Curls: 4 sets 12-15
Lunges: 3x25
Squats(if im in the mood): 4 sets 15,12,10,8.

Abs are thrown in during every work out.

After these three days are through, one day rest. then back at it again for the next three days etc.

Cardio is also done everyday at least for 30 minutes.

Supplements: Morning: Universal Animal Pak- (all essential vitamins and bcaa's) Shit is amazing. get it enough said. More energy and alertness and is the foundation for any type of growth or weight loss.

Prosource 100% whey extreme

Before workout: Universal animal stak and animal pump. The stak is a testosterone booster creatine source etc. the pump is no and argenine supplement. its what gives you the rippng veins and pumps. shit is unbeliveable. Won't really notice for another week until the stak kicks in to tell you if it really works. but rhere are crazy reviews on it from people that have used it all good.

Post workout: Universal Torrent: best post workout supplement in the market.

Bodybuilding.com - Universal Animal Pak - The Ultimate Training Pak! On sale now!

Bodybuilding.com - Universal Animal Pump - Pre-Workout Matrix! On sale now!

Bodybuilding.com - Universal Animal Stak - The Natural Test Pack! On sale now!

Bodybuilding.com - Universal Torrent - Anabolic Muscle Activator! On sale now!

any suggestions or questions on my workout or suppliments or new excercises please feel free to chime in.:rockon:

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
I masturbate.

A lot.

Kidding.

I try and hit the gym about 4 times a week. About an hour of lifting and then about 30 mins of cardio. I dont feel like posting my routine.

03CobraDude

For the past three months I've worked out 5 days a week and stayed on pretty much the same routine.

Monday

Morning- Upper Body Gym Workout
Afternoon- wrestling practice (This would consist of at least 10 minutes of jogging, stretching, at least 30 minutes of actual wrestling, and 5-10 sprints across the gym)
Diet: Yogurt, Vitamin Water, Fruit, Granola Bar For breakfast; Applesauce, fruit, granola bar, water for lunch; fruit, granola bars, water for supper.

Tuesday

Morning- Lower Body Workout
Afternoon- Wrestling Practice
Diet- " "

Wednesday

Morning- Muscle Endurance Full Body Workout
Afternoon- Wrestling Practice
Diet- " "

Thursday

No Lifting Weights
Wrestling Practice
Diet- " "

Friday

Morning- Light Weightlifting (bench, squat, lat pull downs, abs, rows, lunges, jumping jacks)
Wrestling Practice
Diet- " "

Saturday normally consists of a wrestling meet and splurging on the diet to gain energy for the next week of light eating and heavy exercise.

Now, I'm done with the "dedicated" part of wrestling so my diet will change, yet I will go to practice this week to help those who have qualified for state. I will now add a lot more food and add in a lot more weight gain supplements. My weight lifting routine will stay the same.

birch

Go 'Eers!
Established Member
I just got back on the "Body for Life" bandwagon. Need to drop an inch or two on the waist. Pretty damn good routine for those needing to lean out a bit.

You are what you eat!! No matter how long you spend in the gym, proper nutrition is the backbone of any workout program.

Euphoric One

Uncommon Sense
Established Member
OK, I'll jump in.

I've been lifting for more than 25yrs, never taking off more than a week at at time during that span. I run about 260 over the winter and 270-275 the rest of the year, and, no, I am not fat.

Your shoulder workout is what I would call an "advanced" workout, and really only one that a bodybuilder should be doing, and even then perhaps only in prepping for a contest/show. Eat big, sleep big, lift big. Heavy weight doing the basics correctly will go a LONG way, and will get you out of the gym in a hour. Shoulders are not a large muscle group. A heavy pressing exercise and a lateral exercise should be sufficient. The rear delts are worked indirectly when doing a back workout, and the fronts when doing chest, so there's no need to hit these directly unless they are really lacking for some reason (or you are doing a contest). I work traps during my back workout.

On the other hand, if whatever you're doing is working for you, stick with it. If you're not growing or getting muscular after spending too much time in the gym, find another activity. This is one thing I'll never understand. If you suck at something, find something else. Don't bother fighting genetics. I'll never hit a baseball for shit, and I realized it LONG ago, so I gave it up and kept trying until I found something I was decent at. If you can't draw, put down the pencil.:banana:

I dialed it back today just to ease back into it. When I get back to working speed in a week or two, I'll probably drop the seated dumbbell press and cable laterals. Feels good to be back either way.

Anyone have good advice on a pre-workout meal?

Users who are viewing this thread