Swapping an 04 irs into a pre99

quik67mustang

wat
Established Member
Mods feel free to move this if its in the wrong place, figured i would get more answers posting this is a suspension specific area. Picked up an 04 irs today for $300, plan to put it in my 98. I read a few write-ups on how to put it into a fox, but that dosent answer my questions. I posted about it on sn95forums and they told me to come here and post the same thing for better answers. I searched and came up with nothing as well. I just wanted to know if anyone has done this or knows if using 03-04 cobra brake lines makes it easier, and if theres any pictures from where people had to drill the holes to bolt it up. Also if anyone knows how much driveshaft yokes go for, or if you have an extra, feel free to pm me :D *now for the suspension tech part* I plan on getting all the urethane bushings MM makes before installing it, and it already has a billetflow irs brace. Ss there anything else i should get to beef up the irs before installing it, that will be easier to do if its out of the car? I dont plan on buying upgraded halfshafts yet, it will be fine the way it is for my power goals for now. Last question, im planning on running 315's in the rear on 17" wheels, do you think ill have any issues with rubbing on irs parts, or poking out beyound the quarterpanels? Sorry for the long post, thanks guys haha.

obe1_

Established Member
I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I'm pretty sure it is pretty much a straight bolt in. The only thing that I can think or right off hand that is different is the rear control arm bracket. On 94-98 Mustangs the quad shock mount only has two bolts whereas the the latter have 2 bolts that go up through the framerail aswell. I solved this by just bolting the side and then welding the bracket to the framerail.

As far as brake lines I think the factory ones on your 98 should work. When Ford changed to the hydroboost system in 96 they changed to two seperate lines running to the rear under the passenger side, then one that goes from the right rear to the drivers side mounted to the underside of the car and not on the axle assembly. My 95 only has a single line, so I'm trying to decide if it would be better to upgrade to the hydroboost with the two lines or just tee it off to each side. As long as your lines are mounted to the chassis you should just get a pair of flexible SS lines and you should be fine.

Make sure you get 14mm bolt for the front control arm mounts as this is what was suposed to be used to mount the irs, so you may need to enlarge the mounting hole on the front mount.

As for the drive shaft yokes, just swap the pinion flange on the irs to the one from your straight axle and you can use the same driveshaft. Instead of getting the bushings from MM get them from Bruce C here on this forum. Full Tilt Boogie Racing Homepage

I've also been told that the park brake cables are different but have not verified that yet.

The other upgrade that I was thinking about doing was converting to a coil-over setup for the irs. Does anyone know of a place that makes a kit to do this or tubular lower control arms?

If you have any more question or find out any other info let me know.

quik67mustang

wat
Established Member
You will need to run some +45mm offset 17X9 wheels. +27mm offset 17x10.5's will stick out.

thats the kind of answer i needed! haha. I have 3 piece wheels that im building for the car, i forget the offset of the rears, ill look it up later, but could i play with the barrels and run a 10" wide wheel? i really dont want any poke at all haha. and if i ran 18's in the back would it make it easier to clear some moving parts?

Users who are viewing this thread