Swapping basic Shaker 500 to factory Navigation?

Badlilstang

Established Member
Anyone done this? My wife is dead set against me using anything other than a factory radio so I was thinking if I got my hands on a navigation unit I could swap it in?

scott_0

Established Member
I've heard it's a huge project, the harnesses are all different from non navigation units

RockStarKick

Established Member
The radios are VIN coded from the factory, this might be a major pain in the butt.. How I know is, my FM/AM function didn't work in my new 14' GT, the dealer tried to swap and it didn't work. Had to order coded radio from Ford. FWIW, I have NAV, don't know if this changes things.

96svtdriver

Established Member
Anyone done this? My wife is dead set against me using anything other than a factory radio so I was thinking if I got my hands on a navigation unit I could swap it in?

One phrase for you...

Pain in the @$$...

I have factory NAV and it's great and all, but since you've implied that you've thought about using an aftermarket unit, it'd be less hassle just to just replace the oem HU with a nav HU. Most of the yelling would be coming from the wife instead of you trying to swap in the oem nav in place of what you have already plus the money would be better spent.

Honestly though, if you're dead set on having to obey the overlor... er wife... on this, you can still run you own wires, aftermarket speakers, 8" subs, LOC with a 4-channel or something out back for around $400 if you do the work yourself.. I ended up running the Shelby/Kicker 5x7" all the way around and matching 8" subs for the doors, making my own mount with MDF board and other things from Home Depot. I got a ZX350.4 amp with a 4 farad cap, drilled my own holes in the trunk up top near the package tray and keep it out of the way. Here's my install from a couple of years ago:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?831571-My-Shelby-Kicker-Install&highlight=shelby

Last edited:

Mugzy

Connoisseur Extraordinair
Established Member
Why exactly is the wifey against this? Cost? That's the only negative there is. Tell her no wires/dash or anything gets cut. There are plug and play wiring harnesses for everything. It can all be put back to stock and noone would ever know. A good install shop can have a new head unit installed in the time it takes you to go out to lunch. You just want nav? If you go with the Kenwood/Alpine and Maestro dash kit(there's a thread about it here) I think it's arguably better looking than the stock radio area..

Pred_mech

Established Member
Seriously? Why does your wife have ANY input on what you do to YOUR car? Not trying to be a smart ass, just seriously confused. Nice looking car, nice looking neighborhood. I will go a head and assume it's not the only car in the house.

The Raxiom seems to be the best, most cost effective alternative. Which could pass as OEM. I just use my smart phone. Even if you can't see it, once it is bluetooth enabled you can hear the directions over the music.

Users who are viewing this thread