Swapping exhaust and ran into a few "snags"

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
First of all, the rear two O2 sensors(the purple one and the blue one) were VERY black on the inside. Black like coal. The front two (green ones) were 10 times cleaner. What does that mean? I figured it would be the other way around.

Second problem. I guess the old Pro-chamber I have was for an older Mustang. I got it from someone in early 2001 that was local and it was VERY cheap because it was used. It fit my '01 GT barely, but I guess it was for the '96-'98's and it just happened to work on my '01 because it won't even come close to fitting the Cobra. Once I get the pipe on and get the bolts most the way tightened against the stock shorty headers, it makes the pipe fit too close to the car up near the engine and it has to angle down in the back to clear the floorpan. This puts the rear of the pipe angling down towards the ground. I adjusted it the best I could and the chamber part will hit the cross brace at the rear of the tranny and it forces it to angle down still. I guess you guys that are running a MAC Pro-chamber have a different one than me or it is nearly dragging the ground.

I'm looking to buy an MRT SS H-pipe. Any info on group buys out there or feedback on this pipe is welcome. I've emailed MRT a few times and gotten NO response. Anyone deal with them recently?

Thanks guys.

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
Someone told me that in order to put a aftermarket x or h pipe on a car you need to put on headers. Is this true? Can I put an off-road bassini x pipe on my car w/stock exhaust manifolds?

TheHylandr

wuzzzzzzzzup?
Established Member
Originally posted by cobravenom39
Someone told me that in order to put a aftermarket x or h pipe on a car you need to put on headers. Is this true? Can I put an off-road bassini x pipe on my car w/stock exhaust manifolds?

Not true. Most people here don't have headers and are running some sort of mid-pipe (X or H). Just make sure the one you get isn't specifically for headers.

Yes the O/R Bassani will work with the stock exhaust manifolds.

I'm sure the MRT H-Pipe will solve your problems :D

Last edited:

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Mind if I ask a question?

Does anyone know if a magnaflow catted X pipe that was on a '01 Cobra fit a '04 Cobra with no problems?

Hope you don't mind me asking this in your thread Torch Red 10th
TIA

03TorchRedCobra

Been around
Established Member
Bassani x-pipe

I have the off road Bassani x-pipe and Bassani catbacks without headers and they fit on just like stock. I recently added the cats because I felt the exhaust was too loud for the cops around here.

Not good to have a torch red Cobra convertible making a lot of noise in Bloomington-Normal. It's a college town and the cops watch for us.

Users who are viewing this thread