swapping out 6th gear.

jophis37

Established Member
Has anyone thought about replacing their 6th gear for a higher ratio gear? It would be nice to get a few more miles per gallon and also lower that hwy rpm. It might even help w/ the "dreaded Drone" issues that some are having. It might not be worth it if you have a perfectly fine trany but if you were going in for a rebuild it might pay off. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone already done this?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
yeah, I've had it since early 2003 when I gave my trans to Liberty so they could prototype their 26-spline input shaft

65 is 1500 RPM
80 is 1850
100 is 2300

racebronco2

Established Member
jophis37 said:
Has anyone thought about replacing their 6th gear for a higher ratio gear? It would be nice to get a few more miles per gallon and also lower that hwy rpm. It might even help w/ the "dreaded Drone" issues that some are having. It might not be worth it if you have a perfectly fine trany but if you were going in for a rebuild it might pay off. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone already done this?

I've done the swap and you need to swap out 5th and 6th gear. With a .50 6th gear with 4.10 i love them. MY car doesn't have the drone but my exploder does.

jophis37

Established Member
JB said:
yeah, I've had it since early 2003 when I gave my trans to Liberty so they could prototype their 26-spline input shaft

65 is 1500 RPM
80 is 1850
100 is 2300

Did your gas milage get better? Could you PM me about what you payed for the swap out?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
been almost 5 years now and I've never once measured MPG .....it's not a daily driver and no long highway trips, so I'm a poor reference

the Viper 5th & 6th were done at the same time as many other mods and pricing was a special package deal, discounted by the fact that I donated my trans for the prototyping, so once again, I guess I'm not much help :shrug:

call Liberty at 313-278-4040 and talk to Paul or Craig...

Users who are viewing this thread