swapping right head to left

MVD

Established Member
LOL......no that is not possible. They are designated right and left for a reason.

Seriously, think about it.....is you flip around one head to another nothing will line up correctly.

stroked93

Established Member
I've never seen one off a car. This is my first mod motor and don't know alot about them. I'm still in the 5.0 age. The reason I ask is there is one on Ebay for the pass side and it says that you can change some freeze out plugs and make it fit the driver side. Thanks for the info.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
The castings are the same from left to right, but they are machined differently (for the hydraulic mini-chain tensioner) and have freeze plugs in the wrong spots. It can be done, but it'll take some work.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
The castings are the same from left to right, but they are machined differently (for the hydraulic mini-chain tensioner) and have freeze plugs in the wrong spots. It can be done, but it'll take some work.

What?

Please explain to me how you could get it to work.

If you pick up a head and just move it to the other side without rotating it at all, your intake and exhaust openings will be on the wrong side. If you rotate it, the oil passages and, if it's a 4.6, the cam sprocket will be on the BACK of the engine instead of the front. It will not, and cannot work, period.

Users who are viewing this thread