Swapping Shifters

King03Cobra

Established Member
I'm sure this has probably been hashed over many times but when you change out the stock shifter to Pro 5.0 or Tri-Ax, how do you get the console off without breaking it. I'm a little nervous about trying to get it off. Do you pull from the inside or what ???:??:

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Do a search for any of Postban's posts and look for a link in his signature that explains it. I believe you pull from the outside edges and work toward the center (back).

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
It's a bit tricky the first time. Put your thumbs in the middle towards the back / top of the shift ring.

Pull up and back gently doing the back first.

There is a little two tab at the front, which used to be one single tab. It broke on my GT, but the two tab seemed more resiliant and did not break on the Cobra.

Just don't rush it and you'll be ok.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
I believe it is the same as my 95GT (from what I have seen)

Obviously take the shift knob off...then I just stick my fingers about half an inch on the inside of the shift boot (away from the plastic bezel) then try and get my fingers just under the plastic. Then pull up.

Mine takes a little bit of a "yank" but then pops right out....it's been in and out probably about 15 times and I've never had any problems with anything being broken.

Good luck with the new shifter...I have a pro5.0 in my 95 and love it...

AlCobra

Established Member
Mustangworld site also has a how to do it section that is useful. Its relatively straightforward and hardest issue will be getting bolts out under dash section since there is limited travel on rachet.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by ox03
Don't pull from the back first. Start in the middle and pull hard. There is a small tab in the back of the console; I snapped mine. No big deal, but still...

See <http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=22817&highlight=mgw+shifter+install>.

What he said. The back, closest to you, has a tab that goes under the console. Loosen the front then just push it forward a little to release that tab. Be careful, those suckers are xpensive

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by King03Cobra
I'm sure this has probably been hashed over many times but when you change out the stock shifter to Pro 5.0 or Tri-Ax, how do you get the console off without breaking it. I'm a little nervous about trying to get it off. Do you pull from the inside or what ???:??:

Hahah you think thats tricky, wait till you start bashing the stock shifter with a hammer becuase you cant break it loose:D

If you have not already done this mod..

Get a small pry bar, a rubber mallet, and some cardboard. Find a place to grip the stock shifter with the pry bar, I got it from the bottom right corner, then put the cardboard under where the pry bar meets the plastic console. Whack the pry bar with the mallet and boom the stock shifter should pop out. It sure beats the directions that come with the shifter, "hit the tri ax with a wood 2x4 until you hear a pop."LOL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread