Swapping to C-Heads from B-Heads on Teksid Block many questions.

bassahaulic

Established Member
A little back story first.

Car is a 98 GT, Auto. That has been Teksid Block with 98 Cobra heads/intake swapped along with a Pro-Motion built trans. I want to go S/C, goal is 650-700 whp on pump gas, and I much prefer the options the C-Heads offer, along with their power advantage.

I can get some 99 C-Heads from my friend for a great deal, the idea is have them ported/polished with over sized valves and to swap cams.

1. My friend says I should keep my 98 Cobra cams I have in my B-Heads and re-use them in the 99 C-Heads I'm picking up from him. Is this true or should I use something else?

2. Where is a good place to pick up internals? I need crank/rods/pistons.

3. What cc piston do I need to go with, and "roughly" how much boost will I need to achieve my goal with said piston?

4. If you have any other ideas, please, feel 100% to throw them in. This is my first time going this far into a car, I've done everything except engine build at this point so I'm kind of lost and 98% of my friends are LS guys so I'm alone too. lol

Thanks for any advice!

nomoretickets

Established Member
96-98 intake cams will produce more power than any of the 99-04 4v cobra intake cams. exhaust cams are all about the same from 96-04.

Last edited:

97snakebite

Established Member
96-98 intake cams will produce more power than any of the 99-04 4v cobra intake cams. exhaust cams are all about the same from 96-98.

what he said... stick the 96-98 intake cams.. find a good used 96-04 cobra crank and slap in some mmr manley rod/piston combo and you are set.. as far as piston CC goes where are you located???? is E85 readily available?

Last edited:

mr. b_98GT

Established Member
1. 98 cams will be ideal for the 99 c heads. If you can swing it, the later version 9 thread heads are better. Look up a head cooling mod for the 99 heads. Cobra Engineering and MMR make good kits.

2. There are lots of places on line to get internals. You could probably find a place local to you to get them too. Ask around for a quality machine shop, you're going to need one, and talk to them. I had a shop build me a motor (I found a block and crank), so I got the internals from them.

3. Stock compression for an 03 Cobra is 8.5:1. Mine was built at 9:1. I'd say stay under 10:1 if you are going to run pump gas, but others with more experience than me would know more about CR. Mod Max has some great info on their kits with choosing pistons and getting a certain CR. 10-11cc or 17-18cc dished pistons will get you around 9.18:1 or 8.84:1 for a DOHC engine. As for boost, not sure on that one. I will say you won't see 650-700hp with an Eaton, so you're looking at a twinscrew s/c to hit that mark.

4. Don't forget the fuel system and other mods needed to support 650-700hp. You might want to consider your budget and tally up what it will cost you to get there. You'll need to also get everything else for the engine to run c heads with a s/c up top. It's doable, but it might be more costly than you think.

smokymance

The Slower Modular Breed
Established Member
Great info here...whats the progress on the build?

im basically in the same boat and finding all the accessories for the blower on top will be a challenge.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Biggest cost for that power will be support mods, clutch, trans, fuel system, maf, etc. Keep the 98 intake cams and degree them properly. If you have e85 available I would use it and run 9.5 or greater compression. I have -11cc dished pistons which come out to like 9.3:1 compression ratio. 700 whp is not impossible on B heads though but you will not be able to run a twin screw if that's the type of blower you want.

Users who are viewing this thread