Sway Bar Link Touching Spring

DaveMan

COBRA COMMANDER
Established Member
I was looking for a nasty squeak when going over bumps and found the sway bar link on the driver's rear is touching the coil spring.

Here's a pic of the driver's rear from under
0411092012a.gif

Here's the passenger side looking how it should
0411092012b.gif

I tried to pry the sway bar link away from the spring but it's up against it hard. Any ideas what this could be?

DaveMan

COBRA COMMANDER
Established Member
I have the car on the hoist now trying to figure out the problem. I forgot my camera so I don't have pics but will try to describe...

Is the sway bar suppose to have a bend in it on the driver's side near the bar to frame mount? The way it is now is the passenger side goes from the link connection back and bends to make the run across to the frame mount, then it goes towards the driver's side where the bar is bent and then goes into the frame bushing and then bends to connect to the link. So that the bar suppose to have a bend in it or should it shoot straight across for sway bar to frame to sway bar to frame bushings?

Edit:

I found a pic (http://www.stangmods.com/Eibach-Anti-Roll-Kit-for-SVT-Cobra-p/00874.htm)of the Eibach sway bar kit and it looks like the bend is suppose to be there after all, it's there for clearance.

So when the car is jack up and the suspension hanging the link does not touch. All the bolt on the bar to frame brackets are tight and in place. The only thing I can see it being is a bent bar.

Does anyone have a pics of the bar out of the car?

Last edited:

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
I have a IRS sway bar from my 03 in the attic if no one else can help.. I don't have any weird bend near the pivot bracket on the either side...
There is a bend mid way to account for the IRS differential mounting bracket.

The easy way to check is to remove the sway bar, put 2 2x4s under the pivot points, and see if the end link holes are symmetric.

Last edited:

DaveMan

COBRA COMMANDER
Established Member
I have a IRS sway bar from my 03 in the attic if no one else can help.. I don't have any weird bend near the pivot bracket on the either side...
There is a bend mid way to account for the IRS differential mounting bracket.

The easy way to check is to remove the sway bar, put 2 2x4s under the pivot points, and see if the end link holes are symmetric.

Can you get me a pic of it? Are you willing to sell it if mine is bent?

Anyone else?

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
With the bushings so close to the bend, I don't see how it could be bent, but hey anything can happen...

In your pics - one side's end link looks like its straight up and down, and the offending side looks like the arm ends somehow too far forward of the end link. IS IT?? :D

The bar should have a hump in it but not a kink.

DaveMan

COBRA COMMANDER
Established Member
With the bushings so close to the bend, I don't see how it could be bent, but hey anything can happen...

In your pics - one side's end link looks like its straight up and down, and the offending side looks like the arm ends somehow too far forward of the end link. IS IT?? :D

The bar should have a hump in it but not a kink.

I will have to double check again when I get the car on the hoist. I think the right rear link is pretty much straight up and down but the left rear one is tilted forward which is the problem.

I'm thinking mine is somehow bent on that side.

I'll climb my fat Azz up there to see what I can do for a pict...

Thanks so much for taking the time and getting me some pics to go by! They will be very helpful when I have another chance to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread