Swirls

Ralo

Established Member
My redfire is starting to get swirls and it drives me crazy. I wash with what I think is a soft microfiber mitt (I have an Adams on the way). I always dry with a blower and I wax regularly. I know the paint jobs on the 03-04s weren't the greatest(orange peel & real thin paint down in the lower grill) so what can I do to get rid of these swirls and prevent future ones?

MAXSE2kMT

HAIL THE AMBER LAMPS!
Established Member
Compounding/polishing removes swirls and other defects. It's good that you are aware that your wash media can induce these defects as it will help you avoid future ones once you've removed the current ones. I'd say most defects (after a proper detail) are caused by improper wash technique and the infamous swirl-o-matic automated car washes.

Ralo

Established Member
Well I always hand wash so I guess I must have some improper technique. I figure it couldn't hurt to buff it but I'm scared to attempt this myself.

MAXSE2kMT

HAIL THE AMBER LAMPS!
Established Member

03vertsnake

Driver
Established Member
One thing that I have found that helps is if you get a foamer or a washgun which you can put the soap into and spray it onto the car prior to you actually washing it. It provides a nice barrier of lubrication to really soften the wash.

19Cobra96

Established Member
A slow speed buffer is the way to go. At least it is what i use and works great. Just use a polishing compound.

whistler19

All the way!
Established Member
also get a pressure washer, they are fairly cheap now a days! like said above you can put the soap in it and pressure wash your car before hand washing. This will get rid of contaminants on the paint surface as apposed to just hand washing and rubbing all those fine contaminants into the paint with a mitt. pressure washers are very good also for cleaning wheel wells and engine bays

Last edited:

BumbleBeeGTO

Established Member
also get a pressure washer, they are fairly cheap now a days! like said above you can put the soap in it and pressure wash your car before hand washing. This will get rid of contaminants on the paint surface as apposed to just hand washing and rubbing all those fine contaminants into the paint with a mitt. pressure washers are very good also for cleaning wheel wells and engine bays

Best advice so far. I always always use my pressure washer when doing a car. Blow a lot of the dirt off, then like said use the foam gun to lubricate the car good. Then wash top to bottom. The bottom of the car is where most of the dirt will be, so save it for last.

MyStIcHrOmE 04

NEED MORE HP!!!
Established Member
Make sure you wax after the pressure washing. You are removing your last coat of wax when you go high pressure. Oh, and just my .002, I only use a pure carnuba wax. It seems like the wax without additives always coats better and looks deeper....

BumbleBeeGTO

Established Member
Make sure you wax after the pressure washing. You are removing your last coat of wax when you go high pressure. Oh, and just my .002, I only use a pure carnuba wax. It seems like the wax without additives always coats better and looks deeper....

This is not true. If you would like I can take some pics of the car beading up while being pressure washed.

If you soaked the car down with degreaser with the washer then yes, it would remove the wax.

By the way, thank you for serving!

MyStIcHrOmE 04

NEED MORE HP!!!
Established Member
As I was.... LOL! I have only ever used a heated pressure washer so maybe that's the difference? I know prior to painting my last car, my Dad made me high heat pressure wash the car down before I wet sanded it for prep. I was under the impression that removed the wax coat on the car?

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
A slow speed buffer is the way to go. At least it is what i use and works great. Just use a polishing compound.

i might just try this method, hand buffing is painful and time consuming! :bored:

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
even proper cleaning techniques, touchless drying and regular waxings only go so far, unless you keep the car in a bubble.

Back when I had my Redfire I only had to bust out the compound once when I got it, but every 4-6mo id do a quick once-over with the polish to eradicate any light swirls from weekly washings.

I used:
Optimum CompoundII
Optimum PolishII
Optimum Poly-Seal
Natty's Blue or Red
PC 7424 w/6.5" orange and white pads.

I could park my 70k mi 03 Cobra next to others with 10-20k on them and people would automatically assume mine was the lesser of the mileages.

Redfire is a SICK color when detailed correctly and the flakes pop. Its very dynamic and vibrant and IMO top 3 colors as far as "uniqueness" when it comes to the factory color palette (next to Sonic Blue and Mystichrome).

iwannakb

Established Member
i used meguires swirl-x it seemed to do a really good job on a black car none the less, its a pain tho your arm will be on fire once your done very thick.

Users who are viewing this thread