switching from kb2.2 to F1A

sam23

I'm thinking about switching to a procharger f1a and ditching my kb2.2
I know, i know....no low end power and the motor will look like crap.
but..................
1.) i dont race at the strip often, i just get run ins on the street
2.) i have 3.90s to make up for the low end
3.) the f1a will be better for me daily driving when it doesn't kick unto around 4k
4.) it can run 30lbs vs 25lbs for the kb2.2 which i can set my switch chip to run race fuel with that setting
5.) too run more power with the kb2.2 i have to upgrade my fuel system to (rails, twin pumps, etc.) which is gonna cost around ($1800 parts + $600 labor)
6.) THE MOST IMPORTANT. I don't want i sleeper. I want the crazy f1a sound that sounds like a jet at idle. it is my redneck dream!!!

What do i need to sell off my car? I know I'd be selling the kb2.2 (has less than 4k miles on it). What about the 60lb injectors, big sct maf (not sure size),accufab tb, snow performance kit (not sure if the f1a's run cool enough where I would need it), kb bap, stock 03 cobra intake (is there is one?), stock h/e, jlt cai or anything else?

For the procharger switch..i think it would be the f1a kit, an intake off a mach1/gt and i'm not sure if i have to upgrade the fuel system to run 30lbs of boost plus how bad of gas i'm going to be getting if he sets it up for that much boost with the timing knocked back when the chip is switched for pump gas. My tuner said it would be $4800 installed (f1a kit, mach1 intake, and $800 labor) so any ideas/help please.

if anyone is interested in the kb2.2,etc i would have to sell it at the shop when the switch is taking place (Haywood Custom Speed Shop in Raleigh, NC) because i dont have enough cash to do the switch and sell the kb later. local buyers...i need your help! you would definitely get hooked up on the price for the inconvenience (*disclaimer on how much "hooked up is" because i have know idea what this stuff goes for used).

The bottom line is this message is very long and should be split into different forums but whatev...Do you want leave the shop with way too much power!

All the parts were put on in november of 05 with less than 4k miles on them, and the kb is the new model (not the one that spits oil)

pm me if interested about putting 100+plus rwhp to your terminator for a great deal

Last edited by a moderator:

bsmith9165

Established Member
Hey good luck with the switch out. After reading ur thread I think the jet engine bullit point has made the choice for u.

s/c stang

Established Member
All you need to do is sell the KB by itself and keep everthing else....I believe the Prochager come with a custom intake for it.Also you need to do some searches about people with prochargers alot have switch....If you really want power go turbo... :beer:

MTI LS1

The Procharger is SH*T. Look how many people run them across the country compared to twin screw cars.

They're junk and have bad belt slip unless you get a custom setup made and even them some guy was on here saying that he still had belt slip at 22-25psi.

Save your money and buy a turbo kit. There are a couple of good ones out there, but go check out the turbo Terminators section for all the info, too much to list. Turbos can make 700-750rwhp easy and really not even be pushing near their maximum capabilities. Plus, less stress on the motor and it will run much cooler compared to any blower.

sam23

What do the turbo cobras sound like at idle and wot?

People runs screws because they're less expensive to buy and install, look better, more quiet, and have low end power. The 8 rib set up or whatever is what i would do anyways to prevent the belt slippage.

Rwick7

Established Member
I had a F1A and now have a KB 2.2.

I will never own a procharger product again.

The kit is garbage...or atleast is used to be unless they've made changes. Regardless especially for a street car KB all the way.

Rwick7

Established Member
Well it would dyno extremely well but only run 11.30's or so and trap 128 or so with 690 hp. Belt slip constatly, tubes blowing off under boost...etc etc. Nothing is simple or clean about it. I just was not fond of it. I was a test car and had one of the first kits but I don't think much has changed.

Wiseguy

Established Member
That is a good price! include tuning? You have a choice of 12rib or cog for new units.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Hellion T76 seems to be the way to go. PM TRBO VNM about his kit. He's running 10.49 at like 21psi. Sounds insane when doing a burnout so I'm sure it'll sound amazing on the street.

sam23

How about this question.........Why did my tuner tell me that i need a fuel system if i want to set up my kb to run 25psi with race fuel but not with a F1A?

The turbo is tempting, but it looks to me that it would cost $10k to get it done and maybe its only me but.......i haven't paid for all this stuff with scrait cash money. Another $7k grand in debt and i should just sell the stang, buy an escalade, and put 30" spinnez on it (joke)

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
I say go with the Procharger 12 rib setup. Or even the cog. There are a lot of misguided information out there on the Procharger kits. StlBlack obviously has first hand knowlege, but his was also a 6 rib setup.

The Kenne Bells were designed to make the swap easy, and give great torque on the street, but a properly set up centrifical will own them at the track. I know when this is said, it pisses everyone off, but hey, its the way it is.

My advice to you, PM Smashedheadcat. He is very smart when it comes to the F1A kit. He still says if he could have found a used F1A kit he would have rather installed that than his Twin Turbos.

Dont forget the fastest 03 Cobra is Butcher's Triangle Speed Procharger F1A car.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
Oh, with that said, I will probably end up going Kenne Bell also, just so you guys dont think I am one sided on this.

sam23

appreciate it, although i already dropped off my car to put take the 3.90s out and put in some 3.55s. Wouldn't i need low gears for the F1A?

Also, do you think that that kit is a better daily driver than a kb/whipple car since it doesn't go into boost until 4k? (don't want to sound stupid with this one, my tuner told me this)

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
You'd need low gears (high numerically) with the F1. I don't know why you'd go from 3.90s to 3.55s if you're getting that F1.

And about the daily driving, I can drive around all day without going into the boost if I wanted with my hEaton. I could do the same if I had a KB/Whipple. But then if I want low end torque, it's there and I don't have to wait till 4k for it to start making boost. To me, low end grunt makes a fun street car.

Last edited:

sam23

I was only thinking about the F1A. The only reason I was considering switching chargers was the "747" sound it makes from a block away and at idle (i know it's redneck and stupid haha). I already bought 3.55 gears before I considered switching to the F1A. My car had 3.90s in it when i bought it and i've been very deprived of acceleration. I have owned the car for almost a month now, and still have not been able to feel the power my car has in 1st or 2nd gear, even on concrete with new 275/40/17 m/t dr's heated@15psi. Plus, i need the gas highway gas mileage back with my 3.55s.

blownstang01

Established Member
I agree there is A LOT of bad press and just wrong info on the F1A kit. Also if it's done right (ie: timing tables,down low) they do make plenty of low end torque. Of course I am running an auto with the proper converter and best of all I don't melt the thing down on the road course as with a roots or screw.

sam23

blownstang01...do you have or know where any video clips are of procharged terminators? I just want to hear one, i've only heard them on 2v's, and i think both of those were P1SC.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
showle02 said:
blownstang01...do you have or know where any video clips are of procharged terminators? I just want to hear one, i've only heard them on 2v's, and i think both of those were P1SC.

Dude.. You need to go pick up this month's MM & FF magazine and read the article about the 03 cobra with the Hellion turbo kit and you will never think about the procharger again. I have a ProCharger on my Cobra and as soon as I can I will be switching to turbo's. The article in short is basically a stock 03 cobra with aviator pumps, 60lb's and a MaFia along with the Hellion t76 kit making 24 psi on 91 octane with a splash of race gas and it made 850 rwhp and 750 tq. I don't know about you but to me that is just badass. They were seeing 27psi on the street and that was only in 3rd gear. Blowers are nice but turbos are the way to go man. If I were you I would keep the KB right now and save for the turbo. The KB is damn fast man.

Users who are viewing this thread