Symptoms of a blown head gasket??

florida03

Banned
Ive been losing a bunch of coolant the last
couple of days. Started when I chipped, pullyed and
ported my Eaton about 4 months ago. Took it
to my mechanic about a month ago and they did all the test
on the motor and basically told me I needed a new cap.
Worked for about 2 weeks and here I am again gushing
Hard, they now tell me it maybe the head gasket allthough
they havent looked again. Any input would be mostly
appreciated.

Twinturbo Ranger

Established Member
Two easy signs, white smoke or check your dipstick and it will look like a milkshake.

I have had one let go out the side which only let coolant go out on the ground. The head lifted and luckily nothing was consumed.

Those are some quick suggestions.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Depends on WHERE the head gasket is blown. White smoke out the tail pipe, oil in the radiator (it floats on top and is easy to find), water in the oil, two cylinders adjacent that have much lower compression than the rest, wet plug(s), rough running, water shooting out your overflow tube as the compression gas flows back into your radiator. Be careful, if there is water getting into your cylinders, you can get hydraulic lock - that is, fluid in the combustion chamber. It will break internal parts fast as the piston tries to travel through the combustion cycle and the water will stop it cold.

Good luck,
Dan

Last edited:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
No drippage from engine bay = consumption by motor or evaporation.

If you are losing more than a quart of fluid a week with no leaks, it's definitely leaking into the motor somewhere. I wonder if you have a crack in one of your heads.

EDIT: Also check for wet spots inside the cabin. You could have a leaky heater coil.

florida03

Banned
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
No drippage from engine bay = consumption by motor or evaporation.

If you are losing more than a quart of fluid a week with no leaks, it's definitely leaking into the motor somewhere. I wonder if you have a crack in one of your heads.

EDIT: Also check for wet spots inside the cabin. You could have a leaky heater coil.

No, I see and hear the leak. Gushes from the radiator cap
only.

Users who are viewing this thread