SYNC stuffs for iPods

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Hey guys, I know a lot of us use our iPods in our cars with the sync system. I just wanted to pass on some information that I've found through trial and error on what works, what doesn't yada yada.

Some of this stuff is in the owners manual and some isn't.

First off, although the iPod touch does work with Sync, there appears to be some compatibility issues with certain iOS versions and the sync system. What this means is that the iTouch's will tend to crash the system from time to time. Especially if you leave the unit in the car and never power it off or update it.

I've run in to this quite a bit actually and it's definitely frustrating. You usually end up with a "USB Empty" message and what appears to be no power to the USB port. Sometimes a factory default/reset will get this going again, but I've found more often that's not the case.

The owner's manual doesn't address what to do in this case. What you must do is completely reset the Sync system by powering it down 100%. To do this pull the 15 amp #3 fuse from the passenger kick panel fuse box. 15-30 seconds should do it. Replace the fuse and power the car back on. This will reset Sync and get you going again. You shouldn't have to reprogram any bluetooth devices etc, but it will reinitialize your USB storage device.

Now, if you have the option to use an iPod classic, I would go this route. As soon as I dug mine out and got all my music back on it I haven't had a single issue with the system crashing. It seems to be more compatible with this particular device. You should also be able to utilize a USB thumb drive without issue. The only problem there obviously is limited space. I like to have ALL of my music with me, so the iPod is a must.

I'm sure further revisions and updates to the Sync firmware and software will address some of these, but I just wanted to pass this information along to you guys as well.

Cheers :beer:

fordrevhead

Established Member
I use an old Zune in the console semi-permanently but I find the audio quality is not great. I am not sure if it is the port wiring/input or the cheap cord I have, but they sound fine on the player with headphones or with a different cord to my home stereo and are high bit rate mp3's.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
did any of u guys try loading loading music on USB stick? im thinking of doing. I have any old ipod. Only holds 500 songs. Rather than buying a new one. just use a stick.

Any tips?

kevinp

Established Member
My 2010 GT500 (my 2011 doesnt have sync) was dong the same thing where it would just freak out and I had to pull the fuse to reset it to get USB back working again Plus it would try to bluetooth stream music from my iPhone every startup, took about a week of my iPhone battery dying in my pocket after a long drive to figure that out.

I just used a 32GB memory stick and gave up on using iPods and iPhones, if I remember that stopped the auto bluetooth streaming as well.

Last edited:

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
My 2010 GT500 (my 2011 doesnt have sync) was dong the same thing where it would just freak out and I had to pull the fuse to reset it to get USB back working again Plus it would try to bluetooth stream music from my iPhone every startup, took about a week of my iPhone battery dying in my pocket after a long drive to figure that out.

I just used a 32GB memory stick and gave up on using iPods and iPhones, if I remember that stopped the auto bluetooth streaming as well.

Nice. u had no issues with the stick?

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member

thats a damn good idea using the stick.

thezfunk

Established Member
I had issues when I had my iPhone 3G and I still have an issue with my Android phone. It's a known issue and will hopefully get fixed.

In over a year of owning my Mustang, I have yet to see an update come out for my car.

Muzner

Established Member
I've been using a 32GB USB memory stick for a while now. The only issue I noticed was some of the albums would not show up when looking for them. I re-ripped the CDs and then it was fine. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have the electronics package in my car.

I was surprised that it doesn't show album art. I know when I owned a 2011 Explorer with the my touch system it displayed it.

Users who are viewing this thread