Synchronizers for the Tremec 3650?

The Whistler

Established Member
My synchronizers are going bad, especially from 1st to 2nd, and I was wondering if the stock synchronizers had mostly a plastic layering around them. If so, should I replace them with some that are mostly metal? That way they will be durable. Does anyone know? Thanks a lot.

Jose

Understang

Slightly Mad
Established Member
i'm pretty sure the synchros in the 3650 have some kind of plastic coating on them. I was talking with a Ford mechanic the other day who is knowledgable with the 3650, he told me he's seen/heard of many problems where the coating peels off. He said the 3650's Ford put in the 01 Cobra's were garbage. I tend to agree. I had the synchros replaced in my 3650 as part of the Ford Synchro Kit for the TSB to fix the 1-2 "clunk" and I think it did more harm than good.
Are you able to get all metal or mostly metal? Is it offered by Tremec? I'd be surprised if you can. Even if you can, I'd be real leary about anything that is not Tremec.

Niteninja

I Miss my Z...
Established Member
I think mine are going out from 4th to 5th...:( guess I just don't go into 5th for awhile.

Understang

Slightly Mad
Established Member
It seems improbable that your 4-5 synchros would go out before the others, due to lower rpms in the main shaft. Maybe your 4-5 shift fork is out of whack in which case you need to be a little more precise in your shifting. What do you feel or hear when shifting from 4-5?

VENOMOUSONE

Established Member
I'm not sure if its my synchro's but my 2-3 shift feels really notchy and sometimes I hit the fork when shifting hard into 3rd. I have a Tri-ax and push straight up when going into 3rd. It didn't seem as bad when I first installed the shifter. If its not the synchro's then would it help if I changed the tranny fluid to Royal Purple or something better?

NXSVTCOBRA

Understang said:
Are you able to get all metal or mostly metal? Is it offered by Tremec? I'd be surprised if you can. Even if you can, I'd be real leary about anything that is not Tremec.

they are offered through Ford only, most places that actually "do" sell them get them from Ford as well, latest rumor is TTC plans on releasing them to the public later on this year.... as far as cost its gonna hit you roughly $369 a pop.

Understang

Slightly Mad
Established Member
VENOMOUSONE said:
I'm not sure if its my synchro's but my 2-3 shift feels really notchy and sometimes I hit the fork when shifting hard into 3rd. I have a Tri-ax and push straight up when going into 3rd. It didn't seem as bad when I first installed the shifter. If its not the synchro's then would it help if I changed the tranny fluid to Royal Purple or something better?
It doesn's sound like your problem is going to go away by switching fluids. If it feels notchy then chances are you need new synchros. Also, if you've shifted really hard you may have bent a shift fork. Try going back to the stock shifter and see if it's better/worse.

Niteninja

I Miss my Z...
Established Member
Understang said:
It seems improbable that your 4-5 synchros would go out before the others, due to lower rpms in the main shaft. Maybe your 4-5 shift fork is out of whack in which case you need to be a little more precise in your shifting. What do you feel or hear when shifting from 4-5?

There is grinding with the clutch all the way in. But if I jiggle the shifter left to right about 3 times, then there is no grinding. If I let the engine unwhine, there is no grinding. BTW, it doesn't matter if it's at 50 or 80.

Users who are viewing this thread