Syncronizer question

devilish64

Established Member
If my car is sitting at idle in neutral and I try to put the shifter in 3rd and 4th gear without depressing the clutch it grinds. Does this mean my syncronizers are bad? I just had my transmission rebuilt with carbon syncros for every gear and bronze shift pads.... the same gears grind when I shift while driving as well and i never had any problems with those gears before rebuilding it all. I can't figure out why it's not working properly. At first i figured it hsd to be clutch related but now im not sure. Thanks

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Not to be a dick, but why in the heck would you think that would even remotely constitute a legitimate inspection procedure of those synchros?!

no no no

Your synchros are designed to have NO load through the transmission in order to synchronize each shift. Meaning countershaft and input shaft DISCONNECTED from the engine power via a completely disengaged clutch. What you're doing is needlessly wearing all the components you just had replaced!

Dude, if you suspect there is an issue, take it back to the shop that rebuilt it and demonstrate to them the manner in which its grinding.

Literally grinding your gears for literally no reason at all is foolish. Stop it!

The basics for the Tr6060 in these cars is the same : try upgrading fluid to Redline, Amsoil, or Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. If there is some improvement and you dont have an MGW Gen2 shifter, get one and try that.

First stop? Back to the place that rebuilt it. Never engage a gear in neutral with the engine on unless it is an ABSOLUTE emergency.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I've only rebuilt one transmission with new syncronizers in my lifetime, but it did have to be broken in. I would drive it and avoid slamming gears for the first 500-1,000 miles. Now if it's grinding all the time switching gears, you may have a clutch issue.

devilish64

Established Member
I

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171115-100830.png
    Screenshot_20171115-100830.png
    548.3 KB · Views: 108

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
That's not exactly true. Once you get beyond the synchro and hit the gear, it's going to grind. The synchronizer is intended to stop the gear from turning while the clutch is depressed. It's not going to allow the transmission to engage the gear with the car stopped without a lot of noise, effort and metal shavings.

KRS

Established Member
Trying to put the car into gear with the clutch released is actually in the Ford TSB to diagnose bad synchros. You're supposed to use moderate pressure, 5-10 lbs force for 2-3 seconds and it shouldn't grind. Sounds to me like you have an issue with your synchros.

devilish64

Established Member
Thanks... I found that tsb info. I will take it to the shop that installed the syncros. I originally pulled the trans out myself and brought it to them to get the work done.... I've probably pulled it out of the car about 20 times at this point trying to diagnose this problem so I'm really sick of pulling it in and out laying on my back on the concrete. I bought the whole carbon syncro kit from tick performance so it was all new... I was hoping that it wasn't there fault but it seems like it must be

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ive been proved wrong, but in my 12 years in the field, ive never heard that as an official inspection technique.

Still doesnt sit well with me

Users who are viewing this thread