T-5 transmission question

harleyreb1

Established Member
When my t-5 was out of my car I saw a torx bolt( looks like the drain and fill plugs but a #50 torx head) (its on the opposite side of the drain and fill plugs)was a little loose so I tightened it up. Bad idea. My shifter won't move now. So I loosened it up some and now the shifter will move agian but dosen't want to go into reverse. What is the proper way to adjust this??

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
that bolt is used to hold the pivot for the reverse. It needs to be properly positioned when tightened or the linkage for reverse will not work correctly. I don't think there is any other remedy besides removing the transmission top cover to bring it back into correct alignment :(

Last edited:

red95gts

Established Member
You might be able to have someone sit in the car and keep trying to put it in reverse. At the same time, you lay underneath and adjust the torx bolt. If you're lucky, you might be able to get it back in alignment. If you can manage to get it to engage, tighten it down with the transmission in Reverse. Even if you can do all that, it still might not be perfect, but it's worth a shot.

FWIW, that same lever engages 5th when moved the opposite direction.

If that doesn't work, you are probably going to have to pull the transmission. Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread