T-5 vs. Vortech

svtman28

Established Member
Quick question for the experts. I have a vortech s/c with about 330 rwhp and 373 rwtq on my 93 5.0. Will be turning nitto xtreme DR.

So how many ppl with close to the same spec destroyed your T-5 (not missing shifts).

ps 3:55 rear.

stangbear427

Established Member
I've burned up T5's with way less power than that. T5's are crap. If you drive a stock 5.0 hard with one, it's on borrowed time.

1slohawk

Established Member
like stangbear said there on borrowed time as soon as you start beating on them, but I have had them last. my last LX was a full bolt on, cobra intake, and a 100 shot. making about the same power as your car. I ran nothing but M/T's on the car and I raced it a good amount with several 12.3@115 pass's at the track. not to mention the trans had 130k miles on it.

johnh

Established Member
T-5's are cheap and easy to rebuild. Unless your in competition I would keep it until it breaks and even then I would rebuild it.

My car dynoed 540 rwtq @ 10 lbs two years ago with a sintered iron clutch disk and it ran that for two years no problem.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
I think it's all luck really. On my GT's combo, only pushing around 7psi, I blew up 3rd gear in my T-5 w/ a 3:55 rear and street tires (at the track). I now run a Tremec w/ no probs.

stangbear427

Established Member
Yeah... what sled said. I will say that any T5 is on borrowed time if it's beat on, but I have seen some hold up remarkably well considering how much less has blown up so many. They are cheap and light, but they really have no other redeeming qualities. The case is wimpy, the synchros are wimpy, the gears are wimpy, it just isn't a good tranny at all. Better than what it replaced, but when those trannys were made 200HP from a V8 was a lot :rolleyes:

Kevins89notch

Established Member
My 89 had gears, exhaust, and a vortech. It went 11.9 on slicks...with the stock t5! I made a good 20 or so passes on it without problem. Plus I beat the living hell out of it every time I drove it. I'm not joking. For over a year, I had a 3-4 mile drive that was mostly a 2 lane 45 zone. I saw 8psi, and triple digits every time the car went out!

Stangcharger

forged 4.2L v6
Established Member
i went with a TKO-500 with my v6 mustang that had a T-5 that i broke. I think upgrading rather than rebuilding them is the way to go.

my 93 cobra replica is pushing enough power to break it yet.

sled

Established Member
i went with a TKO-500 with my v6 mustang that had a T-5 that i broke. I think upgrading rather than rebuilding them is the way to go.

my 93 cobra replica is pushing enough power to break it yet.

i think the 6cyl cars have a different T5 from the v8 cars. i know they use too.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
ive broken 3 now just lost 3rd gear about 20 mins ago, i think its a waste of money to keep rebuilding them just spend the money on a tremec and do it once. mind you i only have a 331 stroker n/a with shitty cast iron gt40 heads which are a huge restriction i could be making so much more power with better heads but anyway i just broke 3rd on the street with MT et streets not powershifting 1st- 2nd was fine went to throw it in 3rd and heard all kinds of noises and thats it for this tranny.

Users who are viewing this thread