t-stat 160 180 or stock

svt2003

Established Member
On a mildly modified motor, how much difference would a cooler t- stat make? I live in an area where it is hot and after about 15-20 min. of operation, I can feel a big difference in throttle response and it feels like a pig.

mystifiedworm

Established Member
T-stat

I am running a 160. Although it is not much lower than a 180 but it gives me a piece of mind when the temp outside hits 120. And with the fan switch mod it is probably the best that I can do to control the car from getting on the hot side.

shagn03

Established Member
Do a search on fan switch mod and broke7 I believe that he gives the instructions on which wires to tap.

It allows you to turn on your fan whenever you want instead of waiting on the computer to turn it on, and it still allows the computer to turn it on whenever it needs to.

maoun

Established Member
i have the fan switch mod and instead of a tstat i use a regulator....i like it

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
won't matter...the temp rating on the t-stat is only the temp it opens at...once they open, the engine temp continues to increase to normal operating temp (210) no matter which one you are using. The lower temp units are a racing trick to get water to flow to the radiator sooner when doing short runs...as in drag racing. :idea:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Correct. A t-stat attempts to regulate minimum, not maximum engine temperatures. The key is to provide additional cooling measures. Fan regulation and the judicious use of WaterWetter, for example.

Users who are viewing this thread