T&T time ...................not good

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Tried it out yesterday at the track and didn't do too good.

Only made 3 passes and had a line lock issue........................without a whole story here's are the main points.

Forgot to turn off traction control on first pass, burnout wasn't so good lots of tire spin down the track and the BS 1-2 shift grind did 12.xx @ 120 or so.

2nd pass...............line lock didn't hold the car that well during burnout time then as I launched again 1-2 grind and noticed car wasn't accelerating like the last run. I let off at the end and the car slowed down a lot more without me using the brakes that much, at that time I had brake smoke and smells fill the cabin. Down the return road brakes were still dragging. Got my time slip and turned on and off the line lock again then the brakes released. I drove the car around the pits like 3-4 times before parking it to cool off the brakes. This pass was 13 something @ 106.

Last pass..............I forgo the burnout and just staged it and took off, 1-2 shift went ok this time with some spin off the line and got a 12.00 @ 126. I packed it up after that.

I've done 11.63 best with drag radials and using the line lock a few years ago before this time with my weight removal mods, HE, and gear. I wouldn't have expected to have my line lock malfunction not using it for a few years.

I'm a little disappointed and very ticked, this car the way it is from Ford doesn't do drag racing well IMO, I enjoy it more when I'm RC'ing it or doing highway pulls..................not sure if adding my damper and monoblade now is worth doing. I need to figure out my linelock and this BS shift grind crap.

Tony

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
This car is frustrating to drag race.
Sounds like you need an MGW shifter and some bias ply 17" MT ET Street Rs.
17" Darkstars bolt on and look good on our color.
I think the line loc understandabley got you flustered. Do you have the shift grind on the Street?
-J

NOLAsnakes

Established Member
Yep, from the factory it’s not a great drag race car. But with some suspension mods & good tires it does damn well in the 1/4

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
No manual trans, heavy, high power RWD car is easy to drag race.
I like a challenge. Or I enjoy pain.
I'm just trying to build my interpretation of the ultimate street/strip Mustang, and unfortunately that includes a 6-speed.
I'm also trying to organize a local top speed event, as you guys are correct on hitting this car from a roll :)
-J

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I have not read or seen anything that tells me with 100% proof that changing shifters gets rid of the grind/high rpm lockout. I have done the solid bushings and KR mount already and it looks like in this case it's not fixing the issue. The last time I ran the car and did the 11.63 I had 1 lockout issue that day at the track so at that time it did seem the issue was kinda sorted out (obviously it's not).

Even for 1/2-1 mile racing or longer you want to know that when you go for that 1-2 shift you're gonna hit it. This shifting issue f-ing sucks, and I'm not in the mood to throw more parts at it hoping I can get my shifts (like another shifter, bracket like BFR's bracket or a WOT box). This semi remote mount design is just stupid...………………..and no I'm not switching to a Magnum XL trans just to have shifting ability when you rip it.

kwarnerjr

Established Member
I had success in avoiding grinding 1-2 shifts and 2-3 shifts after I switched clutches and got upgraded lines.

The guys at the shop also changed the position where the shifter was mounted so that it wasn’t relying on linkage as much.

Maybe someone can piggy back on my comment above because I unfortunately lack the specifics on what they did. They essentially just moved the shifter towards the front on the trans so it was somewhat connected straight to the trans.

But after the Spec ST clutch and the position change I never had a grinding issue again. I will note that the noise that could be heard from the trans significantly increased after they changed the shifter position.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I've never missed a gear in the XL and only had 1-2 missed gears in the stock 6060. The ONLY gear missed was consistently the 1-2 shift.
You're not going to like to hear this but you have to adjust you're driving style and accept you can't rip a 1-2 shift dependably in this car. To be honest and after having Evan Smith see me race the car and then talking to him at NMRA Norwalk (very relevant as at that point the car was bone stock with stock tires), the car doesn't want a super aggressive 1-2 shift anyway, all it does is cause tire spin or upset the chassis.
Learn a reliable 1-2 speed shift technique for 1-2 only, after than you can try and rip 2/3 and 3/4 powershifts if you want but the insignificant loss of the 1-2 powershift won't slow the car down.
I've never had great 60' times in this car for various reasons, but I make up for it down track with good clean fast shifts.
So, enjoy it for what it is and recognize there's are few compromises with this car on the strip.
It still does well there, just more challenging.
-J

Kel

Established Member
I've never missed a gear in the XL and only had 1-2 missed gears in the stock 6060. The ONLY gear missed was consistently the 1-2 shift.
You're not going to like to hear this but you have to adjust you're driving style and accept you can't rip a 1-2 shift dependably in this car. To be honest and after having Evan Smith see me race the car and then talking to him at NMRA Norwalk (very relevant as at that point the car was bone stock with stock tires), the car doesn't want a super aggressive 1-2 shift anyway, all it does is cause tire spin or upset the chassis.
Learn a reliable 1-2 speed shift technique for 1-2 only, after than you can try and rip 2/3 and 3/4 powershifts if you want but the insignificant loss of the 1-2 powershift won't slow the car down.
I've never had great 60' times in this car for various reasons, but I make up for it down track with good clean fast shifts.
So, enjoy it for what it is and recognize there's are few compromises with this car on the strip.
It still does well there, just more challenging.
-J

I see in the GT500 section it's posted that MGW is having a 10% off sale with the shifter now $382.xx. Sounds like you're saying it's not worth the investment to address the 1-2 shift then under these circumstances?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
No I think the MGW is an awesome upgrade. The best fix is a direct mount shifter (Magnum XL) but the close second is the MGW and it’s the easy solution for most people.
My good friend just bought a ‘14 and the MGW was on the list of top 5 mods to do. He’ll likely never race the car but even just for street enjoyment:
305 Nitto DR, 4.10, Lund tune, off road H, MGW.
-J

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Just takes practice ... you’ll get it OP.

The gt500 IS a drag racing machine.

She certainly isn’t a purpose built corner carver... she shines in the straight line.

Takes practice but it’s fun as hell.

My 07 rarely ever missed a shift.

Silver Talon

Pronounced: Mahcargo Braaaap
Established Member
The 1-2 shift cant be any worse than an mt82 1-2 shift. Its down right embarrassing. I swapped a coyote clutch and spec stage one clutch into my cyclone, with damn near solid motor mounts, and still have the same problem. I thought it was better for a bit, but ended up all in my head. Hard to be consistent at the track when you dont know if the 1-2 shift is going to work, or for that matter, 2-3 shift.

RILIE500

Established Member
No manual trans, heavy, high power RWD car is easy to drag race.
I like a challenge. Or I enjoy pain.
I'm just trying to build my interpretation of the ultimate street/strip Mustang, and unfortunately that includes a 6-speed.
I'm also trying to organize a local top speed event, as you guys are correct on hitting this car from a roll :)
-J

when and where might this event be taking place ? ....... Jeff

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
@Cman01 I feel your pain brother. As it is right now, Ive got the parts to take my 2011 TR-6060 to my local Tremec dealer and have them rebuild it with new bearings, new 1-2 synchro, 1-2 shift fork, new 2nd gear, bronze shift fork pads. MOST importantly Ive got 1-4 Tremec Hybrid Syncro rings.

MGW and synth ATF fluid is a great start and helps clear up a large majority of grind issues. But drag racing is still hit or miss. There's no getting around it: factory spec TR-6060 synchro rings are shit. The Camaro guys and Challenger guys are having the same issues, though they seem to be less prevalent due to the direct mount shifter. My Tremec dealer tells me he has GT500, Camaro and Challenger transmissions come in all the time.

The hybrid rings have Carbon Fiber impregnated on both sides of the ring as opposed to one side CF and the other sintered metal. Problem is the stock rings cant get the gear speed matched fast enough. Add in terrible factory fluid and a shifter with looser specs than a hooker in NYC and boom, theres your grind.

For dig 1/4 drag racing: Youll need to contemplate a gear change, a swap to 07-12 rear brake calipers and sway bar relocators to fit 15" rear wheels. Thats if you REALLY want to fit bias ply tires meant to work the best with manual trans launches. Radials are not good for manual cars on 1/8 or 1/4; prepped or not. I learned that the hard way. For roll racing and 1/2 mile stuff radials are fantastic, but dig 1/4 mile passes on prep? Its not really meant to do that. They have been a revolution for automatics, but for stick cars, Bias Ply slicks are still king.

WOT Box really helps for no lift shifting. I was a skeptic at first. But I installed one, disabled launch control and holy balls... absolutely amazing how much help it gives when WOT shifting. With the Tremec Hybrid Synchros, is will finally be where it needs to be.

Sucks balls for sure that we have to go to such great lengths to get our transmissions to do what they were originally designed to do.

Njtony

Established Member
I'm with you on that, 13/14s are awesome at 1/2 mile races, but 1/4 mile stuff just really isn't there thing.
Disagree with this 100%. Put a tune and some tires on this car and its not hard at all to drag race. The 1-2 shift can be bitchy but I never shifted full throttle and had good results from the car. If you're willing to abuse the clutch it will launch hard on 18's. Key thing for most people is to have a mental checklist and follow it. I see guys all the time do a huge burnout and then take over a minute to line up correctly. Why heat the tires just to let them cool?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Disagree with this 100%. Put a tune and some tires on this car and its not hard at all to drag race. The 1-2 shift can be bitchy but I never shifted full throttle and had good results from the car. If you're willing to abuse the clutch it will launch hard on 18's. Key thing for most people is to have a mental checklist and follow it. I see guys all the time do a huge burnout and then take over a minute to line up correctly. Why heat the tires just to let them cool?
Right on man, I drag raced my 08 GT500 and it did good and I drag raced my 2013 GT500 and it did ok. But I always felt like I was fighting for a decent 60ft and clutches aren't fun to change on these cars. The car just performs better at the 1/2 mile races. But to each there own.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
long ... long time ago in joliet il before gt500s were fast .....

old entertainment....... 6060s can be made to shift
The good ol days. Hope you been well buddy.
That guy was really excited by your huge.....tire :)
I know you can race these big Shelbys, you still have the '13?
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
when and where might this event be taking place ? ....... Jeff
TBD but have enough interest from what I can tell in the area.
Milan is doing a roll race event on the quarter but we want at least a 1/2 to start something local.
When I was in Pittsburgh we had a cool flashlight drag series at small local airports. I was going to see if we can organize something similar at a local airstrip.
Run 1/2 mile, maybe some no prep, street style drag racing. Would be fun.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread