T-trim on stock block cobra?

KillrCobra

Established Member
Would a t-trim with only 8 psi be too much for my stock block? I know 8psi on this blower isn't the same as 8psi on an s-trim, but not sure how much more stressful it would be on the stock block. What do you guys think?

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
It would be ok if you did some major modifications to the car prior to installing the blower. You'll absolutely need, but not limited to, the following:

1. 255 high pressure fuel pump
2. 36 lb injectors [MINIMUM] w/4# disc in FMU

There are alot more things you could add, but those two are the most import ones IMO because the T-trim is going to need alot of fuel so you don't lean out when you're on it. 450 RWHP is getting awfully close to the limit of the stock block, so you need to be careful.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Originally posted by raven69david
It would be ok if you did some major modifications to the car prior to installing the blower. You'll absolutely need, but not limited to, the following:

1. 255 high pressure fuel pump
2. 36 lb injectors [MINIMUM] w/4# disc in FMU

There are alot more things you could add, but those two are the most import ones IMO because the T-trim is going to need alot of fuel so you don't lean out when you're on it. 450 RWHP is getting awfully close to the limit of the stock block, so you need to be careful.

I'ts actually not the block you have to worry about...It's the Hypereutectic pistons and crappy rods...The Cobra (4.6L)aluminum blocks are known to withstand upwards of 1,000 hp.....The pistons/rods have been known to give way at about 450 hp...And I'd go with at least 42# injectors and lose the FMU....:beer:

100th96cobra

worry about your tune...a guy on corral had a cobra that lasted 3 years, and i think like 400 1/4 mile passes with 630rwhp on his totally stock 96 cobra motor!

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Originally posted by callmecobra96
and also ive got 460+whp at the moment....the rods and pistons are better than what people credit them for

Don't get me wrong they're decent,as long as you have a good tune...

KillrCobra

Established Member
I didn't actually buy the kit yet. I called the shop that would be doing my tune and he said it would be too much blower for the car. That I'd have to pulley the blower down out of its efficieny range, and it wouldn't be worth it because the blower is meant to make a lot of boost and not just 8-10psi. So it sounds like I'd be better off just sticking with an s-trim.

Eric1

Established Member
More efficient

Or you can think about it this way, t-trim will not be "working" as hard to make 8-10lbs resulting in a cooler intake temp. An s-trim can also make more boost than your stock internals can handle , and it will make boost sooner or lower than the T. Kind of depends on what your future plans are. I think the s-trim is versatile enough for most peoples needs (although its way to loud for my taste)

C0BRA

Established Member
I went through the same dilemma ... I would plan on going with the T-trim if at minimum, you will be going with a forged block in the future, and if you want more than 600rwhp. IMO, you have much more to worry about than just the blower, if you want to run the T-trim (tranny, rear end, chassis stiffening, fuel system). If I find that the little S-trim is not enough, I will be skipping the T and going straight to the JT-trim.
BUT HEY, if your getting the T for a steal, then I'd say go for it!

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
Am I missing something here.... you guys are pumpin up the T-trim like it is a dam Mondo or something.

Let's make a simple comparison here. Everyone knows about the big bad Novi 2k right? Everyone knows there is a good share of people with stock bottom end cobras running these bad boys. What everyone doesn’t know is that the T-trim flows 1200 CFM (S-trim is 1000 CFM).... the Novi 2k flows 1700 CFM.....

Now ask your self this question, is the T-trim really that big? Not really.

The JT-trim is around the same size as a Novi 2k (correct me if I am wrong, it's the modular version of the YS-trim) so this means you can run a JT-trim on a stock modular bottom end car. Now they do use a restrictor on the intake pipe of the Novi 2k so it won't build too much boost for a stock motor.... Now, I'm not saying go buy a JT-trim for a stock motor, just showing you that you should compare apple's to apple's... not apple's to orange's.

Another thing, if you think the boost comes on later with the T-trim than an S-trim... you must have never took a ride in a car with a T-trim. I know that in my friends snake the torque came on harder and sooner in the rpm band with only a 3.3 pulley. I also use to think the same way as you guys... the t would lag until higher rpm... but it was not the case when I took a spin in my friends car.

Just passin on my 02.:beer:

Last edited:

Eric1

Established Member
You can use any blower on your stock bottom end, all comes down to how you pulley it (i.e. boost) Have seen direct comparison of t vs s-trim on same car, s-trim= boost came on quicker in lower rpm range.

KillrCobra

Established Member
anyone know if a t-trim is a direct replacement for an s-trim on our cars? In other words, do they use the same bracket and other stuff that the s-trim uses?

Users who are viewing this thread