T45 shifter shaking in 3rd-Why???

88coupe97

Established Member
I need help with a problem I have with my 97 cobra.
When driving in 3rd gear at a reasonable rpm, the shifter vibrates- I can put my hand on it and feel it shaking.
Otherwise the tranny is fine- no problems shifting. No vibrations or problems in any other gear

Before I bought this car (2 months ago), I test drove another 97 cobra which had the same problem, but it was MUCH worse than mine. I am afraid that I am in for a big problem down the line if I don't find out what the problem is and take care of it.

If anyone can suggest what the cause of this problem is, I would most appreciate it.

Thanks!

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
The problem IS the T45, unfortunately. Mine does the same thing (very slight, however) and has gotten somewhat more noticeable in the two years and 17K miles I've put on it. Some are better than others (Borg Warner or Tremec versions), I've got 44K total and it's not bad enough to try to replace it under warranty...yet. I doubt it would make it past 70-75K, if I keep driving it the way I am (hard shifts, no powershifting)...:-D Also, you've gotta be REAL careful not to bend the shift forks, if you don't have an aftermarket shifter, with stops. Makes hard shifting much more challenging, without one...II-)

88coupe97

Established Member
Any specifics on what is failing??

Thanks Blue98Cobra for the info.
Its not good news to know that the T45 is a known weak point in the Cobra, however, it is good to be able to talk with other people who have been experiencing the same problem with their cars.

Do you or anyone else know any specifics on what part(s) are causing the vibrations in third or just what is going on in the tranny that should not be to cause the problem?

Thanks again and good luck with your tranny as well.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
The T-45 isn't really that weak. It is rated at 300+ FTLBS of torque. The stock shifter is the biggest problem. Due to it's sloppy shifts it lets the transmission get damaged. Specifically to the shifter forks. They actually have hardened steel internals. I broke the shifter fork in my 96 Cobra when I missed 3rd. The piece that went into the gears was chewed into bits without hurting the internal gears. ;-)

It may just be the driveline backlash. Does it do this with a constant load on the motor? Going up a hill for example. Because sometimes while driving in 3rd, since it is not a normal "cruising" gear, it will backlash some. Kind of like getting on and off the throttle will make the car buck some. Although not nearly as noticeable, but similar.

88coupe97

Established Member
More info on problem and 1 more Q.

The vibration or rattling of the shifter occurs when I am driving in third at a steady rpm and gets worse if I accelerate. If I am in third with my foot off the accelerator, the rattling stops.

The problem is not really bad now, however, I drove another cobra which has the same problem, but much worse. I am concerned that mine will end up the same over time and end up costing much more to repair than if I do something about it now (?).

My Cobra has 47K miles on it. Shifting is fine and all other gears work fine with no vibrations.

Other than just "taking it easy" is there anything else I should do to help avoid having a more expensive problem down the line?

(The aftermarket shifter is a good idea)

Thanks for your help.

One more question: I would like to drain and refill the tranny fluid. From experience, what is the most recommended fluid to put in (regular dextronIII or synthetics or something else)?

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
The T-45 isn't really that weak. It is rated at 300+ FTLBS of torque. The stock shifter is the biggest problem. Due to it's sloppy shifts it lets the transmission get damaged. Specifically to the shifter forks. They actually have hardened steel internals.
That explains why mine has 44K hard miles on it but is holding up relatively well, since I try real hard not to bend the forks...

Originally posted by GR8WHITE
I broke the shifter fork in my 96 Cobra when I missed 3rd. The piece that went into the gears was chewed into bits without hurting the internal gears. ;-)
I'll also make a mental note to not reach down in there while it's turning...:-D OUCH!

Kid Cobra 97

Established Member
I had the same problem with my tranny in my 97 cobra!! I bought the car with 18k on the odometer and when I drove it off the lot it had the vibration!!! I didn't worry about it because I still had the warrenty!!! I raced the snake with the problem!!! Finally at the track I locked up 5th and Reverse (don't ask me how it just happened) it would not let me go into the gear!! Now I have my Tremec and I LOVE IT!!!! Shifting hard and goes slips right into gears!!! It feels soo much better too!!!!

Mike

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Re: More info on problem and 1 more Q.

Originally posted by 88coupe97
...Other than just "taking it easy" is there anything else I should do to help avoid having a more expensive problem down the line?

(The aftermarket shifter is a good idea)

Thanks for your help.

One more question: I would like to drain and refill the tranny fluid. From experience, what is the most recommended fluid to put in (regular dextronIII or synthetics or something else)?

It may just be a bad synchronizer giving a little extra "feel". You could get it checked out now, before something breaks and causes a bigger collateral damage. Although, I don't think it is a time bomb. Get the synchronizers and blocking rings checked for a little insurance. Use the Mobil 1 synthetics or other reputable synthetics when you fill it back up. Good fluids always prolong the life under normal conditions. Hope this is some help.

88coupe97

Established Member
Thanks for the help and info: SVTPerformance is great!

Gr8white,

Yes, your reply is helpful. I appreciate the response.

This forum is excellent. It is great to be able to post a question and actually get helpful responses. I am very glad that I found SVTPerformance!

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
I try to learn one new thing, everyday, and this place is GR8 :)rolling:, big fish) for that! As our membership grows, it will only get better...

Psychoholic

Established Member
I've gotten mixed opinions on the T45. i'm fairly pleased with mine. My car puts about 300 to the wheels, and 6500 rpm launches on slicks and it still doesn't hardly make any noise.

My wifes car however grinds going into 4th, sometimes 3rd and sometimes 5th.

I can't really afford to put a tremec in her car right now, but at the same time it's not price-practical to rebuild a T45 (so I've heard).

Any suggestions?

88coupe97

Established Member
I'm not sure what kind of money you would feel comfortable putting into a T45, however, an option that I am keeping in mind is that you can buy a BRAND NEW T45 for $999.

This may be much more than you want to spend- if not let me know. I saw them advertised in 5.0 Mustangs magazine- I will look up the vendor info if anyone wants.

Users who are viewing this thread