t45 trouble and wows

Karnick_GT

Working on my tan...
Established Member
We'll I think it finally caught up with me. If I drive like a normal person, shifting berofre 3k and slowly..I have no problems. But where is the fun in that! However when I shift "fast" over 3k I grind BAD going into 2nd. It used to be really hard but no grinding, but not anymore. I also have the same problem going to 5th gear. So what is my issue, besides having a t45?

What are my options? I don't take it to the track,just occasionally like to jump on it, and I have mild mods and I don't plan on supercharging anytime soon. Rebuild or new?

Thanks in advance!

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Id get an MGW shifter if you havent already. Also try pulling your clutch pedal up with your foot from the bottom of the pedal, that will re-adjust it and check to make sure your shifter handle and base are secure..

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
have you changed your fluid? try tunning some synchromesh and doing the clutch pedal adjustment like cookieman said

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Throw it in the river and get a T-56, if you rebuild the T-45 it will just break again so don't waste $500+ on a rebuild like I did. I'm currently limping around without 4th gear so that I can save up enough for the T-56 swap, it's expensive as hell but well worth it if you're going to keep the car.

Karnick_GT

Working on my tan...
Established Member
have you changed your fluid? try tunning some synchromesh and doing the clutch pedal adjustment like cookieman said

I just had the tranny fluid changed yesterday, what is syncromesh?

Ciotti I was hoping you chimed in... I remeber yo said you did a rebuild and I know you drive your car way harder than I do mine..If I do decide the rebuild, where did you go...Keep in mind I'm no longer in Cherry hill?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member

Ciotti I was hoping you chimed in... I remeber yo said you did a rebuild and I know you drive your car way harder than I do mine..If I do decide the rebuild, where did you go...Keep in mind I'm no longer in Cherry hill?

I surely hope you did put in dexron/mercon III and NOT Mercon V.

Do a search for my posts on this.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I surely hope you did put in dexron/mercon III and NOT Mercon V.

Do a search for my posts on this.

And why is that? Ford recommends any Mercon V ATF. Hell even my manual says so. Walt at promotion even recommended it. -Mark

Established Member
And why is that? Ford recommends any Mercon V ATF. Hell even my manual says so. Walt at promotion even recommended it. -Mark

Post a pic of your manual showing the V

Also, do the search I mentioned. My answer is in there.

Established Member

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Post a pic of your manual showing the V

Also, do the search I mentioned. My answer is in there.

manual.jpg

I had put sythetic fluid before my rebuild and it shifted fine. Walt at pro mo builds race proven trannys. I think I'll take his word over someone on the internet. No offense to you. -Mark

Last edited:

mystical

Established Member
manual.jpg

I had put sythetic fluid before my rebuild and it shifted fine. Walt at pro mo builds race proven trannys. I think I'll take his word over someone on the internet. No offense to you. -Mark

Interesting. My '96's manual calls for regular Mercon ATF (Dexron III). My '98's manual calls for Mercon V ATF. Is the V a synthetic? FWIW, the manufacturer calls for Dexton III as well:

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/faq/faq.asp#13

Last edited:

Established Member
Interesting. My '96's manual calls for regular Mercon ATF (Dexron III). My '98's manual calls for Mercon V ATF. Is the V a synthetic? FWIW, the manufacturer calls for Dexton III as well:

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/faq/faq.asp#13

All the research I did showed that it should be Mercon/Dexron III in every case.

I also found out that most Ford techs have zero clue that there is a difference between the 2 fluids.

Yes the V is a synthetic and what I found out about it is that it's too slick to slow the synchros in order to shift...and thus you get the grind.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member

I brought it to a guy here in Cherry Hill by me but I'm not going to tell you who he is because I don't want you to rebuild that stupid T-45 :poke:

Jerry98vert

Established Member
DO NOT PUT MERCON V ATF I repeat DO NOT PUT MERCON V, it's the worst. I just got a clutch replacement and put Mercon V and I had the worst time shifting, I replaced the fluid with Merxon III and it runs like a dream no problems. If you do put Mercon V and the shifting is bad replace with Mercon III and you will see for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread