T56 help needed...

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
Prior to changing out the RAM HD clutch for a Mcleod RXT the T56 had no issues going into any gear. It now has difficulty getting into 5th, 6th, and Rev with the engine off. With the engine running (stopped and idling), it'll go into Rev without issue. 5th & 6th will not - like it's being blocked. Driving around it'll go into 5th & 6th but needs a little coaching. When downshifting from 6th to 5th it feels like it doesn't totally come out of 6th and I have to leave it in neutral and move the shifter left-to-right and then it'll go into 5th.

I swapped out the TOB sleeve for a Lethal Performance piece along with the RXT. Also added a Lakewood adjustable pivot ball and set it to where the fork travels equally forward and rearward from the point where the TOB contacts the pressure plate fingers. I put the car up stands and with it in 1st with the clutch pedal pressed in, I revved the engine to approximately 4-5K rpm and the tires don't spin so I'm ruling out the clutch not disengaging. I don't know what fluid was in it prior to the clutch swap but filled it with 4qts of AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic ATF. I've read some good and bad reviews when this fluid is used. My guess is the synthetic is too sticky causing the blocker rings to stick and prevent proper operation. I picked up some Penzoil Synchromesh to see if it'll change anything.

Any ideas/suggestions will be greatly appreciated! I've read so many different threads and haven't found my exact issue with any resolution.

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
So I filled with the Penzoil synchromesh and drove about 10+miles. Goes into 5th and 6th smoother. Also smoother at higher speeds (where you would eventual use those gears). At a stop idling, it still feels like its being blocked. I did get it to go in twice but coming out of those gears it feels like its not fully out unless I use the neutral side-to-side method. No issue with reverse. (Just realized it shouldn't go into reverse with engine off unless the key is "on")

I'll drive it like that a little more then will try the anti-venom mod after about 100 miles or so.

Users who are viewing this thread