T56 Magnum issues

bobby_0081

Established Member
I own a 2002 mineral grey GT. I had previously installed an 03 Cobra T56 swap and it was fairly simple and straight forward. After a year my reverse stopped working and I decided to buy a new T56 Magnum from Ford Racing. I got the trans three days after purchasing it. I bought a new centerforce clutch, new flywheel, had the driveshaft shortened, used the original 03 cobra mount and bell housing. To go back a little bit when I bought the trans I ordered a 31 spline yoke from Ford Racing also but when it came I was surprised it took 1330 U joint and the factory terminator driveshaft takes the 1350's. So I called D&D performance and ordered one for 1350 U joints after talking with a guy there and I originally wanted to buy a whole driveshaft but I was in a pinch for time and they were out of stock and he couldn't tell me when he would have anymore so I bought the yoke under the assumption that it would work. I got the yoke next day air and installed it and then I figured out I was screwed because the driveshaft was too long. I called the gentleman back at D&D to ask about this and he told me he didn't care and wished he never would have sold me the yoke in the first place because I didn't buy the trans from D&D. The next day I took the driveshaft to a place locally who shortened it 1 inch and balanced it so I thought problem solved. I went on a test drive and everything seemed ok and then the rear tailshaft seal came out of the back of the transmission. I called tremec and they blamed it on improper driveline angles but sent me a metal seal to replace the rubber one. I took the transmission back out again and looked for any problems and while it was out I took a BFH and clearanced the floor pan some more and installed it in the car and got the new seal on Saturday and put it in. The seal has stayed in but I have a horrible vibration that gets worse when the car gets hotter. When the car is cold it is quiet and as you drive it the noise gets louder and it makes the noise while driving, sitting still, clutch pushed in, clutch released, pretty much all of the time. I loosened all of the mounts and started the car and then tightened them all back down to make sure something wasn't binding. That didn't help. I shimmed the trans between the crossmember and the trans and that didn't help, I took the shims out and still no change. The trans is not touching the tunnel, the exhaust is not touching anything yet I am getting a really weird rattle and a bad vibration.

Any ideas???

I am just wanting to buy a stock terminator driveshaft and a 10 spline clutch and put the stock t56 back in the car even if the reverse gear doesn't work. I am at my wits end and missed 5 days of work last week because this is my daily driver.

Shaunk

Established Member
Pressure plate bolts loose maybe or might be an internal engine problem? Can you post a video?

Last edited:

bobby_0081

Established Member
any updates?

I have an update. I just kept driving it because I had to and it has went away and only made the noise one time for a minute or two a few weeks ago. I have no idea why it went away or what was causing it. A good friend of mine gave me the advice to just drive it until it breaks and then I would know what was causing it so I adopted that mindset and it went away. I think the noise was the wiring harness vibrating between the bellhousing and bulkhead/firewall. I will do more clearance work when I pull the engine later this year.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Sounds like whatever was causing interference wore itself down enough or re-positioned itself to stop causing the noise. glad to hear its working out better now.

bobby_0081

Established Member
Sounds like whatever was causing interference wore itself down enough or re-positioned itself to stop causing the noise. glad to hear its working out better now.

I think the noise was from a bad catalytic converter. I swapped my old shorty headers for long tubes and installed a new catted mid pipe and haven't heard the noise since. I do although have the leaking rear seal on my Magnum trans. I am less than happy with it. I am about to buy a new driveshaft and replace the seal at the same time and see if that will stop the leak. The pinion angle is good, the shaft I have is a stock cobra shaft that has been shortened to fit and some people seem I have spoken to on the phone seem to think it is too short but I know it isn't and I am going to entertain them by just getting a new shaft plus the shortened one seems a little out of balance and has a little vibration above 80 mph. The seal is leaking because I didn't install it correctly because it is difficult with the car on jack stands and also the dust boot keeps you from using a traditional seal driver so I am almost sure that's why it is leaking. The bright side is if I get the new seal and driveshaft and have it installed at the Ford dealer and it still leaks then I will have a leg to stand on when I call Tremec and ask them to do something about it. Right now all they want to do is blame, my pinion angle, driveshaft length, slip yoke, etc...

Tremec is a lot like Comcast. When you call them with an issue is it never their fault. When my internet goes out and I call Comcast they always blame my $200 router...lol

mhyjek

Established Member
I think the noise was from a bad catalytic converter. I swapped my old shorty headers for long tubes and installed a new catted mid pipe and haven't heard the noise since. I do although have the leaking rear seal on my Magnum trans. I am less than happy with it. I am about to buy a new driveshaft and replace the seal at the same time and see if that will stop the leak. The pinion angle is good, the shaft I have is a stock cobra shaft that has been shortened to fit and some people seem I have spoken to on the phone seem to think it is too short but I know it isn't and I am going to entertain them by just getting a new shaft plus the shortened one seems a little out of balance and has a little vibration above 80 mph. The seal is leaking because I didn't install it correctly because it is difficult with the car on jack stands and also the dust boot keeps you from using a traditional seal driver so I am almost sure that's why it is leaking. The bright side is if I get the new seal and driveshaft and have it installed at the Ford dealer and it still leaks then I will have a leg to stand on when I call Tremec and ask them to do something about it. Right now all they want to do is blame, my pinion angle, driveshaft length, slip yoke, etc...

Tremec is a lot like Comcast. When you call them with an issue is it never their fault. When my internet goes out and I call Comcast they always blame my $200 router...lol

Did rear seal fix the problem?

Josh10924

Established Member
Any update on these issues? I just finished a magnum install and the seal keeps coming out and leaking on my exhaust.

bobby_0081

Established Member
I got a new seal from Napa an SKF seal and bought a new complete driveshaft and the leak went away. I am not sure which one stopped the leak but the leak is and has been gone for some time now.

View attachment 36789

Here is a picture of the seal I bought. I can't find the part number right now because I deleted the email a while back. I got the part number from Jay Hempstead at American Powertrain. If you give him a call he may be able to help you with your seal issue. He helped me by finding me the SKF seal pictured above and since I installed it with a new driveshaft and yoke I haven't had any leak at all. Sorry to hear that you are having the same issue as I was and I hope you figure it out soon. If I come across the receipt for that seal I bought from Napa I will post the part number but it might be a day or two before I can look for the receipt.

Users who are viewing this thread