T56 Magnum or Upgraded rebuild?

MG0h3

Established Member
The wobbling clutch fork was one of the issues that irritated me the most. He had the cable really loose in my opinion, his concern was ensuring the TOB just lightly rode on the PP, but when adjusted from the top it seemed to take some of the wobble out but I can still feel the clutch pedal slightly vibrating.

The pedal effort is no where as soft as my RXT but not heavy either. Not sure if there are any other Mantic users on here but Id like to get there opinion on this.

The guy at the shop did express some concerns with massaging the tunnel they didn't want to beat on my car as they stated. I kind of appreciated that but if it needs to be done to avoid all these harmonics/NVH I told them to go ahead and do it.
I hope I can get this issue resolved, I just dropped a lot $$$ on this set up and I'm a bit disappointed.

I got 7yrs and @14k out of my RXT. No TOB failures or noise.

I’m at 2yrs and @3k miles on my 1200. No TOB failures or noise.

With a non factory adjustment system, I set mine as follows:

While running, use the adjuster to pull up the fork until the TOB is spinning.

I set mine so that with a finger or two, I can apply enough pressure rearward to the fork that the TOB stops spinning.

As soon as I let go, fork moves back into position and it’s spinning again.

There are no springs or anything on the fork.

For diagnostics, I’d back the cable off so the clutch is out of the equation. The cable will be loose so any vibration not be there or may not be transmitted to the pedal. I’d hold onto the fork and feel and visually observe any wobble or vibration.

Is it there or not?

If not, then pull it up to proper adjustment and see if it’s there.

If so, you’d have to assume the clutch is the problem. It is possible he’s leaving it too loose and it’s bouncing on the fingers a little.

FYI I set my CJ5 with an aftermarket slave system up the same way 12yrs ago. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
Last thing I’d do is start with pulling the trans. **** that lol. Start small

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03venomdsg

Established Member
To help with NVH I did massage the tunnel on mine, but I also put a few pieces of dynamat on any areas that the trans seemed very close to the tunnel. While it didn't eliminate it entirely it definitely helped some.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Last thing I’d do is start with pulling the trans. **** that lol. Start small

Man 7 years out of the clutch! that's pretty good, do you race your car? Appreciate all the info bud.

I'm not concern with the pulling of the trans, I'm leaving that up to the shop, i paid them for the work they need to make it right!

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I always wanted a Mantic clutch setup since meeting them at SEMA years ago, just way out of my price range. Great company and product. I just had to go with an RXT

MG0h3

Established Member
Man 7 years out of the clutch! that's pretty good, do you race your car? Appreciate all the info bud.

I'm not concern with the pulling of the trans, I'm leaving that up to the shop, i paid them for the work they need to make it right!

Never been to the strip but it sees WOT and full boost up past 6k multiple times every time it’s out.

I’ll shift 2-3 and 3-4 as hard as I can but I do come off the throttle and fully press the clutch in.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Never been to the strip but it sees WOT and full boost up past 6k multiple times every time it’s out.

I’ll shift 2-3 and 3-4 as hard as I can but I do come off the throttle and fully press the clutch in.

I here you bud! I've done several street car shoot outs, (all out WOT) 3 years straight, not counting the dig racing.

I'm curious those who dig race and launch the cars, how there clutch is holding up?

Stage 4.6

Established Member
**UPDATE!
Problem solved! I picked up my car yesterday, and i couldn't be happier with the results. The 3 issues:
1) Clutch fork clip was broken causing the fork to wobble and not be able to adjust correctly
2) Installed low profile bolts on the shifter base, to avoid rubbing on the trans tunnel, the pic doesn't show all replaced but i did have them replace all 10 bolts so they looked uniformed.
3) Massaged Trans tunnel

No harmonics or NVH, Pedal feel is good no pulsation/vibration, T56 Magnum is a bit notchy, shifts feel good though, but kind of clicky if that makes sense? I have no clutch chatter from the Twin disc Mantic (most likely due to the sprung hub), drivability is great. really love that, although the pedal feel is not as soft as the RXT, but still smooth and just a bit more effort.

Upon break in, I will inform how it feels when banging gears at higher RPM. Overall very happy on how it feels.

Attachments

• old clutch fork.jpg
    old clutch fork.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 91
  • lowprofile shifter bolts.jpg
    lowprofile shifter bolts.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220117_133636 (Medium).jpg
    20220117_133636 (Medium).jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 89

MG0h3

Established Member
Just be prepared for the seal in that shifter to fail. I went through three before I said F it and got an aftermarket shifter from Hanlon.

However I had it out for the third time since the swap yesterday and smelt ATF after a couple blasts.

Sure enough, drips on the garage floor when I got home. Hoping I was a little overfilled and pushed some fluid out of the vent.

Car has to be on stands anyways cause my GenV Whipple is enroute but **** I’m tired of messing with it!

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Not looking forward to that but appreciate the info, I actually thought about changing out the shifter after reading several posts about the leaky shifter, and since the tranny was down for a second time, but I was so frustrated after spending so much $$$ on the current set up and not working properly that I was not even thinking about it.

How long before you noticed it was leaking?

03' White Snake

Established Member
Not looking forward to that but appreciate the info, I actually thought about changing out the shifter after reading several posts about the leaky shifter, and since the tranny was down for a second time, but I was so frustrated after spending so much $$$ on the current set up and not working properly that I was not even thinking about it.

How long before you noticed it was leaking?
My last seal, I got a yr out of it.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Doubt it. It’s not a terrible fix, just annoying and the car has to go on stands.

So frustrating to hear what a great product this is, buy it brand new, and have it leak within a year? Especially on our type of cars that hardly get driven. Well hope fully i wont see this issue for a while, i better start shopping for a shifter.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I think it is the linkage on the shifter that is hitting the seal which causes it to tear and leak. My first one lasted 3 yrs before it started leaking bad enough to notice. The second one lasted a yr.

The root of the issue is there is a gear inside the trans right below this seal, so when it fails, the gear is just throwing fluid at it and it makes it’s way out. My insulation was soaked around the shifter and I was smelling it burning off on the exhaust. I can’t wait to try the Tick shifter. No more seal, and it feels tight on the trans.

BUNKY

S281SVT
Established Member
Found a place and I am purchasing the T56 Magnum and driveshaft in the next week.
I Just recieved my Head studs and gaskets.
Gonna get a smaller pulley and belt and see what this 2.9 will do on E85 safely lol.

I also am looking at a Maximum motorsports K Member with coilover kit.

Then gonna think about a Teksid block and find some heads and start a motor build so if anyone has an untouched block let me know.

Im hoping this gen 2, 2.9 will get me closer to the 800 range.
Otherwise ill be selling it for a down payment on a gen 5 3.0.
Any thoughts guys?

Stay safe out there.
Bunky

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member
Found a place and I am purchasing the T56 Magnum and driveshaft in the next week.
I Just recieved my Head studs and gaskets.
Gonna get a smaller pulley and belt and see what this 2.9 will do on E85 safely lol.

I also am looking at a Maximum motorsports K Member with coilover kit.

Then gonna think about a Teksid block and find some heads and start a motor build so if anyone has an untouched block let me know.

Im hoping this gen 2, 2.9 will get me closer to the 800 range.
Otherwise ill be selling it for a down payment on a gen 5 3.0.
Any thoughts guys?

Stay safe out there.
Bunky

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Are you wanting 800 with a stock or built engine? With a stock engine you might need a crusher. With a built engine with raised compression you might make it with the standard inlet. My buddy is at 706rwhp with a standard inlet, 20psi, and 19 degrees on a stock engine. It even has the stock exhaust manifolds.

Users who are viewing this thread