T56 Output Shaft Help

cojo98v6

Established Member
I purchased a used T56 out of an '03 Cobra that had the input shaft upgraded to a 26 spline.

The problem is I went to slide the drive shaft on and it would not slide all the way in, so I removed the seal and found that the shaft is not centered to the housing bore/bushing. The shaft is solid and does not move side to side at all. When I turn the input shaft the output shaft turns straight (does not appear to be bent). I measured roughly .087" difference that is off center by. The gap is bigger on the driver side. I did shift it into all the gears and turned the input and output shafts and it all worked and felt fine.

I took the housing off and do not see any thing wrong. So I completely disassembled the trans and nothing looks wrong to me, but this is the first manual trans I've taken apart (done auto's before). All gears have good wear marks. Bearings turn just fine.

I reassembled the trans with just the input and output shafts and it is still off, so none of the other internals is causing the issue.

I did put a straight edge across the main housing where the tail housing mates and then put a square to the shaft and it looked straight eyeballing it. Did this at 90 degree turns at four spots.

So I left the tail housing loose and slide the drive shaft on the output shaft it pulls the housing to the side.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be great.

IMG_0171.JPG
Here you can see the gap from the driveshaft and bushing in the housing.

IMG_01762.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread