T56 swap + flywheel clutch How to.

uberstang1

Fobra
Established Member
Well I'm just waiting on a few parts (TOB, pilot bearing, Friction ring) and I will be starting my t56 swap in a 97 GT chasis. What I have so far is built t56 with liberty 26 spline input shaft, spec 2 piece flywheel, aluminum driveshaft setup for SRA, spec stage 5 clutch. I also picked up an AJE cross member for the swap which I am currently unsure if I will need it as more of these swaps have been done in sn95 cobras where the trans crossmember needs to be moved up 1 inch to work BUT with the gt it had a different tailshaft on the t45 so I might not even need to mess with a cross member but time will tell. I will take a lot of pics as I go along, few modifications that need to be done is a speedcal to correct the different speedo gear setups, and a wirring setup for the reverse lockout solenoid. Back up light connection should be a direct swap. The t45 and all associated parts are out of the car already and I should be beginning this week. It seems there is little info online regarding this swap in a 96-98 2v chasis and even the cobra swaps are pretty vague. Anywho COMING SOON>
EDIT
Update 8/28/
Well didn't nearly get as much accomplished today as I wanted but got a late start and had to make some hardware runs. Anyway here we go, I will also copy this update to the original post.
These steps are starting with the trans and flywheel/clutch assembly already out of the car, if u need instructions on removal well its basically the reverse of the installation.
Starting out with the install of a fresh pilot bearing, always safe bet to go with the Ford racing unit. Tap it into the back of the crankshaft with a bearing/race driver as shown.
null_zps17608ba8.jpg

null_zpsb70c0151.jpg

Now you can line up the transmission mid plate back over the two dowel pins on the back of the engine.
null_zpsc2122736.jpg

Next continue to install your flywheel. I have a spec billet unit with removable friction material, if you do not you must have your existing flywheel resurface. The friction material bolts that attach it to the flywheel are torque to 7-8 f-lbs for anyone installing a new ring. Next torque down the 6 or 8 flywheel bolts (depending if u have a 6 or 8 bolt crank) in a star pattern at 59-66 f-lbs, I always go at the top of the range so went 66. Also apply blue loc-tite to the flywhee bolts.
IMG]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j249/uberstang1/work/null_zps2c8ccf34.jpg[/IMG]
Next using the proper clutch alignment tool, slide the tool through the female splines on the clutch disk then stick the end of the tool into the pilot bearing on the crank shaft. Then line up the pressure plate over the dowel pins on the flywheel and torque down the 6 bolts to 24 f-lbs along with blue loc-tite in a start pattern while insuring the clutch disk and alignment tool don't shift. You can see the tool still installed in the pics, once the clutch is torqued to spec simply pull the tool out.
null_zps7eed43ec.jpg

Next we can install the bellhousing to the engine, unlike the t-45 and 2650 the t56 using a removable belhlousing that doesn't also act like a front cover to the transmission making it a hell of a lot easier to install. The 7 bellhousing bolts get torqued down to 40 f-lbs. Using an extension and a 13mm swivel socket is the easiest. 2 of the 7 bolts are slightly longer than the rest, these two bolts go in the holes that also have the dowels in them. You can also bolt down the midplate to the front of the bellhousing with the two 17mm headed bolts as well.
null_zpse84ef2ba.jpg

null_zpsda9edc6b.jpg

null_zps8132e27b.jpg

More to come this week.
Update 8/29/13
Well today I got the trans in and bolted down.
I did this solo and on jack stands so I used a small trolley transmission jack which makes it 10x easer lining it up to slide into the pilot bearing. Place a small block of wood on a jack and jack up on the crank pulley of the engine so the engine tips back slightly to allow for installation of the transmission. Then with the transmission jack angled correctly wiggle the transmission onto the bellhousing insuring that the input shaft is lined up into the clutch assembly correctly.
null_zps76471c16.jpg

null_zps87928d5a.jpg

Also you can leave the shifter installed for this step as long as u remove the shifter handle.
null_zps12b6c261.jpg

Once the transmission is mated to the bellhousing and lined up properly you can begin to install the 8 transmission to bellhousing bolts, this are 15mm headed bolts and are to be torque down to 34 f-lbs. The use of a 15mm swivel socket or a 15mm along with a universal swivel will be required for some of the upper bolts. The very top bolt on the passenger side that also attaches the bracket for the breather to the trans is the hardest one to get as access is very limited, for this bolt I used some masking tape to hold to bolt in the socket and guide it up to the hole with a long extension.
null_zpsf3077b83.jpg

null_zpsf20fb587.jpg

null_zpsd111a32c.jpg

Once the transmission is mounted next step is installing the cross member, instead of cutting and re-welding the tabs to move the stock crossmember mount up an each I opted for a bolt in AJE cross member specifically designed for c4 and t56 installations in the 96-96 body. This mount deletes any form of traditional transmission mount and mounts directly to the tail of the transmission. There are adjustable poly stuffed collars at the end of the crossmember where it attaches to the chasis. Loosen the lock bolts and bolt the crossmember to the chasis then adjust it so the holes on the tailshaft line up with the slots in the crossmember. Then you can tighten down the crossmember to transmission bolts, then torque down the cross member to chasis bolts along with the stop bolts for the adjustment on the crossmember.
null_zpsb2da2c24.jpg

null_zps17a0e756.jpg

null_zps87b25cfd.jpg

That wraps it up for this garage trip, all that's left is to install the driveshaft, x pipe, bolt down the passenger long tube, and fabricate some wirring for the reverse lockout/ reverse lights. The wirring for the speed sensor plugs in but you WILL need an extended range version of the dallas mustang speedcal to compensate going from the vss gear driven speed sensor to the OSS style on the T56. I already previous installed a speedcal so I won't get indepth with that but the instructions that come with it are cut and dry and its a very east install.
9/1/13
Next is the driveshaft, I will be using an aluminum 03-04 driveshaft for my swap. You have a few options to tackle this. Have your existing driveshaft shortened, have a custom driveshaft made, or use a 03-04 cobra driveshaft along with using a terminator pinion flange or using your SRA pinion flange with a hybrid u-joint part number moog-448. I will be going with the hybrid u joint setup. Here is a pic of the driveshaft.
null_zps6bd52c35.jpg

Removing the U joint is a peice of cake, just remove the 4 lock clips with a pair of pliers, then remove the caps and the flange will fall right out.
null_zpsd93b7bdf.jpg

Here is a comparision of the different driveshaft ends, the IRS one is on the right and the SRA on the left.
null_zpsa43fe43c.jpg

The 03-04 cobra flange using a little larger U joint but the MOOG-448 hybrid u joint has the correct size ends on two sides then the other two sides will be the correct size for the end of the SRA driveshaft, simply install this u-joing with the SRA end onto the terminator driveshaft and you are good do go, slide the driveshaft into the transmission and bolt it down to the pinion flange with some blue loc-tite and 90 f-lbs of torque. Fill the trans with just under 4 quarts of penzoil synchromesh, reinstall your started and exhaust and that pretty much concludes the swap, the wires are a direct plug in, the speed sensor is OSS style which means you need an extended range speedcal to get the speedo working properly, the reverse light plug just needs to be crimped a hair smaller and it plugs right in. I decided not to wire a switch for the reverse lockout solenoid, I was reading you need two hands to get it into reverse but after installing it its easily done one handed doesn't take much force at all, if for some reason u feel its to hard hit the damn gym.

Helomech74

Established Member
Nice write up. Something to take note of for anyone wanting to do this swap into a Cobra, the AJE crossmember will not work. The OEM mounts for the Cobra are removable (via bolts) from the chassis and it's much easier to just move the crossmember where you need it. The GT mounts are welded to the chassis, shaped differently and it's easier to use the AJE or Stifflers crossmember for this application.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Some people sell a circuit that reads the OSS sensor signal and controls the reverse lockout solenoid so it works just like it does in the Terminators.

But SVTP prohibits them from talking about them unless they are an advertiser. :)

Nice writeup, BTW.

Last edited:

Helomech74

Established Member
Some people sell a circuit that reads the OSS sensor signal and controls the reverse lockout solenoid so it works just like it does in the Terminators.

But SVTP prohibits them from talking about them unless they are an advertiser. :)

Nice writeup, BTW.

Hahaha, very subtle, it works very well too by the way. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

uberstang1

Fobra
Established Member
Thanks guys, Mech I was always under the impression the cobra tabs were bolt in as well but for some reason my fiend's 96 cobra there welded just like on my gt chasis.
Also if anyone wants the reverse lockout to work like it did from the factory in the 03/04 I found a box to accomplish this VSS/OSS Reverse Lockout Unit

Helomech74

Established Member
Thanks guys, Mech I was always under the impression the cobra tabs were bolt in as well but for some reason my fiend's 96 cobra there welded just like on my gt chasis.
Also if anyone wants the reverse lockout to work like it did from the factory in the 03/04 I found a box to accomplish this VSS/OSS Reverse Lockout Unit

If your buddies car had welded in mounts then they were either added by a previous owner or he has a GT chassis with Cobra bits and pieces on it. I've done transmission work on 96-98 Cobras and all of them were bolt in cross members, they are even listed in Fords parts catalog as well and shown in the OEM maintenance manual as being bolt in.

I have a prototype of that box you have listed and it works very well.

uberstang1

Fobra
Established Member
If your buddies car had welded in mounts then they were either added by a previous owner or he has a GT chassis with Cobra bits and pieces on it. I've done transmission work on 96-98 Cobras and all of them were bolt in cross members, they are even listed in Fords parts catalog as well and shown in the OEM maintenance manual as being bolt in.

I have a prototype of that box you have listed and it works very well.

Thats strange cause its definatly a numbers matching 96 cobra and it looks like factory welded mounts rather than someone going back after the fact.

96dreamer

Established Member
Yeah im going through the exact same swap now, just got done cutting of the old trans mounts from the subframes i had welded in some time ago. I had always thought all cobras had the bolt in mounts. This trans is heavy when you're under the car by yourself lol. The trans jacks do make it a ton easier when its on jack stands though

uberstang1

Fobra
Established Member
Yeah im going through the exact same swap now, just got done cutting of the old trans mounts from the subframes i had welded in some time ago. I had always thought all cobras had the bolt in mounts. This trans is heavy when you're under the car by yourself lol. The trans jacks do make it a ton easier when its on jack stands though

Yea the trans jack def helped, its definatly alot easier than trying to manhandle the t45 with the bellhousing attached though.

autumnstang97

gigidy
Established Member
So what is needed for the speed sensor? I think I missed it. The Dallas Mustang Speed cal says for use with 99-04 going over to a T56. Will this same unit work in the 97?

Users who are viewing this thread