t56 swap soon

wicked96gt

Established Member
I started buying all the parts and trans a few months back. I got a good deal on a built t56 a few months ago. Come next weekend I will start the swap. My last few parts finally got here.

trans, aluminum driveshaft, cross member
2nm3w5y.jpg

26 spline clutch disk
mrbhpu.jpg

throwout bearing and fly wheel insert for my spec flywheel
33upi86.jpg

MGW shifter and new shift knob :naughty:
1zp780z.jpg

:3gears
23vc9pg.jpg

I also got my 4qts of Pennzoil synchromesh. I plan on extending the wires for the reverse lockout. The trans/driveshaft came out of a SRA car so I shouldn't have any problems with the pinion. I am using the current spec stage 2+ clutch I have. Am I missing anything?
Also, once this is installed and driven and everything seems good I will have a good t3650 and mgw shifter up for sale!

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Reverse lockout to the red wire with light green stripe (can barely see the stripe) coming out of your brake pedal switch under the dash.

Last edited:

98cleanGT

Established Member
I'm a lil jelly. I've been wanting to do this swap for sometime, but now I need a motor so first things first. I would suggest using redline racing atf for fluid. A lot smoother at high rpm and better for your tranny.

bobby_0081

Established Member
What fluid does everyone run in their t56?! Just want to confirm that penzoil synchromesh is the way to go.

Tremec told me to mix dex 3 with synchromesh 50/50. I did in my new T56 Magnum last year and haven't had an issue. Shifting is a bit notchy when it is really cold outside until the car gets warm and then it's as smooth as butter. I had a Cobra T56 prior to the Magnum and I just ran Dex 3 in it and it was good.

Good luck with the swap. Oh yeah and for the reverse lock out I used the one from accutach. Here is a link to their page. http://www.accutach.com/Pages/OSSVSSReverseLockoutUnit.aspx It was easy to wire up and works flawlessly.

wicked96gt

Established Member
Does anybody know the proper ujoont for the cobra driveshaft to work on th sra? I was told this one was on a sra car and would work but that's not the case looking at my driveshaft that is off now.

wicked96gt

Established Member
Well got the trans in today! The long tube was a pain in the a** to get off. Had to lower the motor and the k member some but finally got it. Then the t56 is a right for back in. But tomorrow I just need to fill the trans up with fluid and put my mgw shifter on!! I ordered a pinion flange so what's that is done the car will be back on the ground driving!

wicked96gt

Established Member
The longtube was a pain in the a** to get out. But got it out!
50scjp.jpg

Got the t3650 out
2s1lsw4.jpg

The old 10spline t3650
yf77m.jpg

Everything out
2ztde6g.jpg

T56 going in. Bell housing in and trans going in separate.
20ft11u.jpg

Trans is in MGW shifter in and ****in' fast shift knob!
2zgvtpj.jpg

Everything should be good now. Just waiting on my pinion flange to come in then the car will be back on the road!

bobby_0081

Established Member
It all looks good. What did you do about the reverse lockout? I the earlier reply I sent I mentioned the one I am using. Just wondering what direction you went. Oh yeah the Cobra U joint is a 1350 but that doesn't matter much now since you ordered a flange.

wicked96gt

Established Member
Thanks. I haven't done anything with the reverse lockout yet. I was actually thinking about the one you sent earlier in a few pay checks. And after seeing how much bigger the cobra ujoint was I figured I would replace the flange and run that one.

Users who are viewing this thread