t56 tranny geting ruff

tonythetiger

Established Member
ok so i have 9300 miles on my car got a center force clutch at 4000 havent changd tranny fluid yet anyway sometimes not all the time the car is hard as shit to put into gear i will be driving normal and i cant get the car into gear without using some force i have short throw shift pro 5.0 but i dont think thats what the problem is. also is normal that if the clutch pedal is all the way compressed that moving my foot off 1/2 an inch will enage the car to drive do i need a quadrant ajuster or is my damn tranny going feedback would be helpful this is pissing me off!!!!! does the hard shift have anything to do with my clutch :cuss: :burn: :fm:
also how hard is it to install the quadrant the local shop wants $163

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
might be your clutch. also i know the quadrant and adjuster really makes an improvement on this car.

is your car hard to get into first while at a stop? also when it is hard to get into gear tap the throttle. if it goes into gear when u tap the throttle then its a sign your clutch is going out.

what happens is when u hit the throttle u rev match the motor to the tranny (like shifting withot using a clutch), if it goes into gear this usualy indicates a clutch not disengaging properly and not a tranny malfunction.

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
like when its hot or cold? my friends cobra was hard to shift sometimes, we both have pro 5.0's mine has always been easy to shift, we suspected his clutch at first. but after a caudrant and adjuster install his improved significantly

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
no not totaly fixed his car is still harder to shift than mine, also our clutches engage at 2 totaly different point,

i have talked to a few mustang owners that do ALOT of racing, including one cobra owner, what significant here is theyve all been through many different clutches and the thing they all agreed apon is, the stock one worked best. i cant comment cause ive used nothing but stock. but its working really well for me and its working very well for many others with alot more hp, if u can get 25k out a clutch with as much hp and launches and hard shifts as we put them through i think thats damn good, and when my stock unit gives p the ghost. u bet its getting replaced with another stock piece.

i know supra guys and rx7 guys that have crazy power and replace clutches like every 5k, and these are double and triple plate clutches costing alot, and these guys go through them like changing oil. and i see somewhat the same trend with the cobras, people going through aftermarket clutches quickly. not all just some.

also can someone explain how these aftermarket clutches can have such a softer pedal feel while having the same or more clamping force, that makes no damn sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread