T56 Trans Help!!!

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
My TOB exploded. The car is at the dealer and apparently you cannot get the bearing retainer sleeve without buying the piece of cast that goes between the bell housing and the trans.

Can anyone tell me if the LP sleeve is all that I need to get back on the road? Clutch, flywheel are being replaced as well. The input shaft is not damaged. I have pics but need to figure out how to upload them.

Here's link to photobucket, not sure if others can view them or not. Please let me know if they are viewable.

http://s1275.photobucket.com/albums/y444/lasvegas99fan/

Trans1photo.jpg

thanks

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
if you need the sleeve, buy an aftermarket one. they are much stronger so it will be an upgrade anyway.

probably much cheaper than the whole ford part, too.

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
if you need the sleeve, buy an aftermarket one. they are much stronger so it will be an upgrade anyway.

probably much cheaper than the whole ford part, too.

I found the sleeve through LP but I'm curious if there's anything else I'm missing here and wondering why Ford would want to (other than $$) sell me the cast.

Does the bell housing need to come off to replace the sleeve that LP sells for $120? Sorry, I'm transmission/clutch dumb

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
oh sorry, didn't get that you had the lethal performance sleeve.

yes the sleeve needs to be installed from inside the front cover.

ford can only sell their parts, and from what i understand their sleeve, which is cast, includes that whole portion of the cover. i think that ford does not sell individual tremec parts.

best of luck with it, it sounds like you are on the right track!

rtvickers

Established Member
Yes you have to remove the front cover of the T56 to replace the retainer sleeve. Its not a hard job to do if the trans is already out of the car.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
Replacing the sleeve is easy. Just make sure you put the shims back in for the input shaft. Sometimes, when pulling the front cover they will fall out.

sushistrip

Established Member
You DO NOT need the piece that they are telling you to get. Dealers are money hungry douche bags, I wouldn't ever let a ford dealer touch my termi. Find a good transmission shop, they can replace your sleeve for about $150-$200 ( mine cost $188 if I remember correctly). When my sleeve broke the shop called ford and they said the same thing. I'm not a mechanic but I have enough common sense to know you don't replace something if it isn't broken. If you're still not convinced, call tremec and they will tell u the same thing. Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread