T67 Cobra Vs Ported Cobra Vs Whipple then one scary night!

Cobrastruk04

Well it started out that my firend and I were going to meet up with some guys that met at the Tuning shop earlier yesterday, for some races on a street out in the middle of no where (and i mean no one would notice a nuclear explosion). so on our way out to the meeting point. we lined up to run them. it was a 60 roll up to about 150. He has a 2.80 pulley Ported stage III with full exhuast. at the end of the race i was about 1 car ahead of him or just a bit more. When we got to the met area and everyone showed up we started heading out. One of the guys just got his car finished with a 2.3 whipple, cams, rebuilt motor, fuel system, headers,x,CB, and every other bolt on. @ 18lbs he put down 655RWHP. so on the freeway we lined up and went from a 60 roll at the end of the race he was about 2-3 bus lenghts ahead of me haha (time to up the boost). when we got to the street to race the first two to race were a GSX1000 and a stroked 360 nova. well right before we were about the race a cop patroling that area heard the nova and came flying over and blocked us in. he had us all line up and give him our ID's after this he said "I'm telling you straight up if there is any cars out here with special parts on the car, the cars is being towed and impounded. Well seeing as i have a modded Turbo system i was shitting my pants because i know i dont have the money to pull it out of the impound yard. Well after having us stand out there in the cold for 2 and half hours all like 6 of the cops let us go, but not after they checked under all the hoods of the cars. i cant even describe how scared i was when he said that my car didnt look stock at all and he should call a tow truck right now. Well after he scared us for a bit they let us go and yea some stayed to keep racing but i counted my blessings and went home for the night. Maybe this is a good sign to keep it on the track....it was still fun though.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
The turbo is nice and tucked into the front fender I assume? Just tell him you own one of the few N/A terminators =p.

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
BayareaCob04 said:
. when we got to the street to race the first two to race were a GSX1000 and a stroked 360 nova.
Sounds fun! The Nova wasn't a black 70 model was it? I used to race in the same area I think a few years ago near Oaktown... ;-)

2k1cobra

Established Member
Just curious why are you runnin so low boost? Either good kill/loss. :beer:

Fnet=ma

Established Member
2k1cobra said:
Just curious why are you runnin so low boost? Either good kill/loss. :beer:

I was wondering the same thing..

Question: So it is illegal to modify a cobra with aftermarket superchargers or turbochargers, but its ok if its from the factory and stock :shrug: ?

ScareCrow

"Facts are stupid things"
Established Member
" So it is illegal to modify a cobra with aftermarket superchargers or turbochargers, but its ok if its from the factory and stock "

Im guessing that the cop said this to do just that , give them all a good scare

RixSikcobra04

I'm glad they let ya off. Often times they just wanna scare ya. :beer:
Sounds like Saphs Whipple beast is pretty mean, too. Can't wait to line up with 'em :rockon: .

Cobrastruk04

RixSikCobra said:
I'm glad they let ya off. Often times they just wanna scare ya. :beer:
Sounds like Saphs Whipple beast is pretty mean, too. Can't wait to line up with 'em :rockon: .
Yea his car is sick loud as hell too. when youguys line up let me know i should have uped the boost by then and should be a good race with me in ti :beer:
Dev

xxxzach

Established Member
You got very lucky man. I think I would take it easy for a while after that encounter. I've been there before and had the same exact situation happen. I was shitting my pants because I thought my car was going to be impounded.

Time for learning how ****ed CA is. Turbos, if they are stock, are the only way they are legal in the state of CA. The reason being is that since they are powered off the exhaust gases, they are supposed higher polluters. You cannot legally touch a working catalytic converter either. However, superchargers for the most part are legal. I have yet to see a s/c'er that hasn't passed emissions in CA. Of course, the cars, no matter how modified, would still pass the chemical test of emissions, but would fail our VISUAL inspection. Yes it can pass with not polluting the air with ample amounts of hydrocarbons, but it can fail because your timing belt cover fell off...

Last edited:

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
xxxzach said:
Time for learning how ****ed CA is. Turbos, if they are stock, are the only way they are legal in the state of CA. The reason being is that since they are powered off the exhaust gases, they are supposed higher polluters. You cannot legally touch a working catalytic converter either. However, superchargers for the most part are legal. I have yet to see a s/c'er that hasn't passed emissions in CA. Of course, the cars, no matter how modified, would still pass the chemical test of emissions, but would fail our VISUAL inspection. Yes it can pass with not polluting the air with ample amounts of hydrocarbons, but it can fail because your timing belt cover fell off...

Someone here in Utah (with an Evo) passed the hydrocarbon test without a catalytic converter, but failed overall since they saw it obviously didn't have a catalytic converter. So it's not just California.

Last edited:

RixSikcobra04

BayareaCob04 said:
Yea his car is sick loud as hell too. when youguys line up let me know i should have uped the boost by then and should be a good race with me in ti :beer:
Dev

Sounds good. I'm down for whenever, so when I talk to him, I'll pm ya. We'll have to get video of this one. :beer:

65mph_Roll

Established Member
a strong argument for quieter exhausts....

we have the technology...

don't attract the cops...

BOSS 32V

---- TermiFox ----
Established Member
BayareaCob04 said:
Dev
Hey dude! i met you in San Leandro at Gallop's day! I'm the guy in the black 03 Gt, Glad to hear you guys didnt get in trouble, your car is bad as hell men!!

Users who are viewing this thread