Tablet opinions wanted

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
So I'm trying to find my dad a tablet for his birthday and I just feel overwhelmed with all the choices (and where to buy). In truth all he will really use it for is checking sports scores and fantasy baseball. It may see some reading / movie watching as well. Id like to keep it in the $300 range and 10 inch screen size. Any of you tech savvy guys have any opinions??? I appreciate it

jdoyle

Computer Guru?
Established Member
do you have apple/android preference or does it not matter? 10 inch screen would limit me to either ipad or nexus 10. i would accept nothing else.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

my wife bought a refurb'd ipad 2 for me from the above link.

obviously you will need to compare what generation ipad you want and color (black/white) you want, along with wifi only vs wifi + cellular versus the price you are willing to pay.

since i moved from iphone to android, id like to ditch my ipad 2 for a nexus tablet. does your dad have a smart phone?

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
My dad had an Ipad of some kind for about a year before it took a crap. I dont think he liked apples service since he never had it repaired. I think he has a galaxy s3 or 4.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I'd go with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 or Note Pro 12.2, or the upcoming Windows Surface 3.

But I also despise dumbed down Apple products.

Last edited:

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
The Surface is pretty decent. My wife bought me the first generation for Christmas a year or two ago and we've never had any issues. It's good for what your dad is looking for plus you can get the detachable keyboard if he needs it in the future.

jdoyle

Computer Guru?
Established Member
My dad had an Ipad of some kind for about a year before it took a crap. I dont think he liked apples service since he never had it repaired. I think he has a galaxy s3 or 4.

I personally dont care for Samsung's TouchWiz so I am going to steer you away from Samsung.

Nexus 7 satisfies your price requirement but not your size requirement
Nexus 10 satisfies your size requirement but not your price requirement

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I was in the same boat not to long ago.

I was looking to get the girlfriend one for her birthday. I was overwhelmed with everything but ended up settling on a Galaxy Tab 4 8". All she does is read, browse the net and play facebook games so it perfect for that. I also went with the Galaxy as it is android and runs just like her phone so she doesn't have to learn a new OS.

The battery life is great and it is large enough to watch a vid on youtube or Netflix without squinting. I want to say I paid around $260 or so for it.

Good luck with your search.

Users who are viewing this thread