tach misreading

kbsonicstang

Owns 1 sick stang!!
Established Member
i have an 88 mustang with the 5.0 and t-5 tranny. when i start the car the rpm gauge goes to about 2200rpm, even though the car is idling less than that. when you rev the car up the rpm gauge wont move until rpm's are past the 2200rpm mark, and when you shut the car off the gauge goes to 0. does anyone know why its misreading, and what can i do to fix it? thanks in advance

Joel

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Not to uncommon. I was about to say make sure you gauge face isn't causing it to stick, but you said it drops to zero when you shut the car off so that's probably not it.

The gauge itself is likely busted, but you could have issues elsewhere. Even when the factory tach is working, it's not accurate. My tach works, but it's off by almost 500rpm near 5500. I'd get a Monster tach and call it a day if I were you.

Accuracy thread:
[ame=http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1001645]How accurate is your stock fox tach? results inside... - Corral.net : Ford Mustang Forums[/ame]

4valvemach

Established Member
You need a new gauge cluster, my friends 89lx did the same thing stuck at 2500rpm at idle.He changed it out with another one problem solved cost about $120 for a new (used)cluster.You may need to stay with a 87-88 gauge cluster Im unsure if the 89-93 will work.

I HATE the monster tachs :xpl:

IMO a shift lite would look 1000x's better because you can put it out of sight:thumbsup:

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
The monster tach's never bothered me. For me it just depends on where you mount it. I don't like it mounted to the dash shelf, I have mine on the side of the gauge pod so I can easily ditch it and replace the part with holes in it if I want.

Plus, I can see the needle out of the corner of my eye without actually looking at it, which I like.

Either way, I think his stock tach is toast. I'm not aware of any changes in the tach with the newer 5.0's, but staying with the same year is always the safe bet if you are unsure.

kbsonicstang

Owns 1 sick stang!!
Established Member
ok thanks for the input guys. and since the car is almost 100% stock a monster tach wouldnt look good, annd since it dont have any performance mods, i feel it would be a waste.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Well stock or not, a monster tach is still more of an aesthetics thing anyway. My interior is 100% stock except for the radio, tach, and two piller pod gauges. Looks fine to me.

Anyway...if you want to upgrade, but not have a monster tach (understandable), look into the autometer gauge cluster.

Users who are viewing this thread