tail shaft seal

prdtr15

Established Member
i just replaced the tail shaft seal in the trans and it is leaking right away, what could i have done wrong? i pulled the old one out, placed the new one in and tapped it in with a large socket, did i miss somthing?

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Is the leak coming from the seal, or could there be a crack in the tail housing? If not cracked, get another seal and try it again. Make sure all surfaces are absolutely clean, and tap it in evenly - all the way - during it's travel. If you are using a socket to tap against, it has to be the same outer diameter as the seal - if not, the seal's going to distort. JMO, but just because you say you tapped it in doesn't necessarily mean you did it right LOL. As most of us know, there's always some little gremlin trying to get in the way. If the seal doesn't do in perfectly straight, you may have caused the metal in the seal to bend. Good thing about it is that the seals are fairly inexpensive.

Not to make light of your situation, but I'm assuming you put the driveshaft back in, and then noticed it was still leaking. :-D Sliding the driveshaft into the seal can always cause problems, unless you do it smoothly.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
put some oil on the driveshaft yoke before you put it into the new seal as well.

prdtr15

Established Member
Dano said:
Is the leak coming from the seal, or could there be a crack in the tail housing? If not cracked, get another seal and try it again. Make sure all surfaces are absolutely clean, and tap it in evenly - all the way - during it's travel. If you are using a socket to tap against, it has to be the same outer diameter as the seal - if not, the seal's going to distort. JMO, but just because you say you tapped it in doesn't necessarily mean you did it right LOL. As most of us know, there's always some little gremlin trying to get in the way. If the seal doesn't do in perfectly straight, you may have caused the metal in the seal to bend. Good thing about it is that the seals are fairly inexpensive.

Not to make light of your situation, but I'm assuming you put the driveshaft back in, and then noticed it was still leaking. :-D Sliding the driveshaft into the seal can always cause problems, unless you do it smoothly.

Ita all good, make as much light of it as you wont. Im thinking it didnt go in completly strait. Any tips on make sure that is goes in perfectly strait? and i just had the trans out, not cracks in the tail shaft.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
To make it go in straight, the surface of the driving tool, or socket, needs to be the same diameter. The more of the surface of the seal that the tool covers, the easier it will be to control the movement of the seal. Just keep the tool straight & level, and tap lightly - if it starts to lean to one side, make small adjustments and keep tapping - it'll jump right in there. The slower you go, the less damage you'll cause to the seal.

Next time you do this, you'll be able to do it blindfolded ...

prdtr15

Established Member
lol, i did this in about 15 minutes total from jacking up the car to pulling it out of the garage last night. I had a little get to gether to attend with the car, which was a waste anyways cause i couldnt agree on any good races with anyone (i dont like handing out my money), but i guess i did just hand more money ofver to ford by rushing it.

prdtr15

Established Member
well, i went to put the new one in today and i noticed that the piece inside my tail shaft is all banged/scraped up (the part the the seal covers)

And i put in the new seal and it still ****ING leaks!!

could the damage in the tail shaft be the cause?

BTW This seal was pre packed with grease from ford and went in pretty easy and even

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
prdtr15 said:
well, i went to put the new one in today and i noticed that the piece inside my tail shaft is all banged/scraped up (the part the the seal covers)

And i put in the new seal and it still ****ING leaks!!

could the damage in the tail shaft be the cause?

BTW This seal was pre packed with grease from ford and went in pretty easy and even
If your talking about the driveshaft yoke that slides in the tranny then yes, It will tear up a new seal.

prdtr15

Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
If your talking about the driveshaft yoke that slides in the tranny then yes, It will tear up a new seal.

no, the actuall piece in the trans was messed up

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Sounds like some "Ace Mechanic" used a chisel to get a seal out at one time. You may need the help of a machinist, or a new tail piece, whichever is cheaper ...

prdtr15

Established Member
Dano said:
Sounds like some "Ace Mechanic" used a chisel to get a seal out at one time. You may need the help of a machinist, or a new tail piece, whichever is cheaper ...

great, thanks

Users who are viewing this thread