taillight question

o0 01 SVT 0o

Established Member
well my brand new wife decided she wanted to back up into a truck and crack the bumper and ruin one of the unique taillights we have the first and only time i let her drive it... :fm:
I know that they dont sell our tailights anymore so my question is will this light work?

Black Mustang 3-Light LED Taillights (99-04) at AmericanMuscle.com LTMST99JMLEDDP - Free Shipping!

only reason i ask is because the page says that they will not work with our car.. so is do we have a different tail light set up that makes it impossible for us to swap them out or is this just a error on the page?

Rotzs99

Established Member
^^^lol!

You can still find some used ones in the market or on ebay.

They say they don't work because we have a different harness for the amber tail that other taillights don't have.

Women drivers:bash:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
For the love of God, do not put those on a Cobra. Owning a Cobra comes with the responsibility to not rice it out.

Badasssapper67

Established Member
I see one left hand tail light for a 99' Cobra on ebay for $130.00. The same looking non-Cobra light is going for $45.00. Is it just a matter of splicing some wires to make the non-Cobra light work in our cars? I'd be happy to splice some wires to save $160.00.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Why do people buy cobras then do shit like this? If you wanted to be a cheap ass about stuff don't buy a cobra.

I'd rather drive around with a midget in my trunk that popped out every time I pressed on my brakes and held up his hand in a stopping motion than put those ugly taillights on a car.

Badasssapper67

Established Member
Since when did not wasting money become a bad thing. If I can take $100.00+ and put it into something that makes my Cobra go faster and no one else will know Im going to do it. If you're not into actually "knowing" your Cobra, then just go get some plug and play parts and spend all your pay check doing it.
When I work on my Cobra it is with the idea of getting to know the car, how it ticks, what does what and why. My Cobra came with tail lights that I hate. I want to replace them with smoked stock ones. It's very curious that a place that makes a profit by mass production would wire up a unique harness for small batch cars. Figuring things out will help me understand more how our Cobras are unique.
Good day sir.

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
The only way anyone is wasting money here is if they buy those $160 led tails. I'd rather pick up a stock set splice the wires and tint them or just bite bullet for the oem's

Either which way, the Ambers is what separates us from others. If you own a cobra, and are fine with a set of gt tails then go for it. Your car... But please no led's/rice on a cobra. Don't do it to yourself!

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
If you don't like keeping one of the things that makes your car unique, them go for it. You can probably get $100-150 for the good one you have left. I like others just question why you would put those nasty ricer-esque lights on your car though. Just go for a decent set of all red ones and smoke them.

o0 01 SVT 0o

Established Member
well this got out of hand fast lol. i was more of less just trying to find out about the wiring harness and see if it was all just plug and play. knowing now that i can actually buy the amber tail lights that is obviously what i am going to go with. They look the best in my opinion.
Thanks for the help though guys

shurur

Established Member
I see one left hand tail light for a 99' Cobra on ebay for $130.00. The same looking non-Cobra light is going for $45.00. Is it just a matter of splicing some wires to make the non-Cobra light work in our cars? I'd be happy to splice some wires to save $160.00.

The 99-01 Cobras have a 4-wire rear tail light system vice a 3-wire. That is the lights have an extra socket/wire dedicated to the turn signal only.

You can just modify GT tail lights for the turn signal socket:
1. File down the plastic nipple where the turn signal goes in the lower corners. The location is clearly marked by "Do Not Use" in the corner hole location;-) This is the difference between GT lights and 99-01 cobra Lights.
2. Drill a small pilot hole at the filed-down point.
3. Drill a 1" hole with a hole saw..slowly.
4. With a cheap set of small files, make keyed slots for the turn signal socket, test fitting as you go.

You can cut out one of the turn signal sockets and do this at your leisure while you watch TV, then reconnect the turn signal socket by soldering or using butt connectors. IF the socket is loose, silicone aor another rubber/urethane type washer can be used to build it up for a tighter fit.

My amber tail lights were missing when I bought my car and the signal jerry-rigged to the center brake light. Some terminator or GT out there has them.

Look at it this way, some jealous prick would have broken or stolen one or both of them at some point anyway.

Last edited:

Badasssapper67

Established Member
My car is riced out now, and I f'ing hate it. Not having stock 99' Cobra tail ever, I didnt know what made them different. After these explanations, I now know. Will I pony up $350.00+ shipping+ the harness(If they aren't on my car)? I will if I have no other option. I dont want to find out, after shelling out bank for tail lights, that I could have xyz'd and had a bunch of money to put into the IRS bushing fund.

shurur

Established Member
My car is riced out now, and I f'ing hate it. Not having stock 99' Cobra tail ever, I didnt know what made them different. After these explanations, I now know. Will I pony up $350.00+ shipping+ the harness(If they aren't on my car)? I will if I have no other option. I dont want to find out, after shelling out bank for tail lights, that I could have xyz'd and had a bunch of money to put into the IRS bushing fund.

Just get the OEM GT tail lights and modify them for the cobra turn signal light socket.

Are you saying you have no turn signal socket wire?
I doubt that it is missing.

I looks fine with the red turn signal..really.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member

You might as well just sell the IRS, seats, badges, bumpers, and motor from your car since clearly you don't care it's a cobra. It's not about saving money, it's about preserving something that's unique to that car.

shurur

Established Member
You might as well just sell the IRS, seats, badges, bumpers, and motor from your car since clearly you don't care it's a cobra. It's not about saving money, it's about preserving something that's unique to that car.

ha-ha-ha..Then I guess all those guys who have "taken" "our" lights and put them on their terminators and GTs should have them taken off their vehicles.

When you don't have the money, yes..it damn well is about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.......Period.
And it's his car, just like my car is mine.

BTW..those are not the original wheels on your car..or anything that truly says "FORD" like my billets...
Guess it's good to just disagree at this point..

Last edited:

procharged 99

Established Member
you might as well just sell the irs, seats, badges, bumpers, and motor from your car since clearly you don't care it's a cobra. It's not about saving money, it's about preserving something that's unique to that car.

lol +1

Users who are viewing this thread