tails and lower blackout

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
Im sure Im gonna get plenty of haters, but it turned out nice, way better than I expected.....
really works great with the LEDs, and is a nice semi-blackout on the tails from a distance, with or without lights on
(I was never a big fan of totally smoked tails)......and if I get tired of it Ill just delete it......

here's the before:

rearcobrabefore.jpg

By tripheath at 2012-02-19

tails done only (led lights on):

imag0806q.jpg

tails & valance blackout (led lights on):

imag0811.jpg

tails & valance blackout (led lights off):

imag0809.jpg

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
theres always a drama queen in the group......its only vinyl dude...nothing is ruined....but I couldnt find a replacement for the driver side tail which was a lil discolored, so I LEDed it which helped, but not enough, I didnt want to smoke them and totally lose the amber corners.....so this was an interesting compromise ...plus while I was in vinyl mode, I have been wanting to black out the lower section.....Im also doing the section between the lights just to see how it looks.....

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I'm not a fan of the tail light treatment. Reminds me of Firechicken tail lights. I'm glad to hear it's not permanent. But, it's your car and if you like it, go w/it!!

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
Fire-chicken....ha!....hadnt thought of that, but you are right...I wish someone would get smart and make some 99-01 tails reproductions......all the used ones Ive seen were overpriced and in marginal condition...and I already have some of those......

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I like the lower panel. Are there different ways to tint tails because those look like honey comb or something?

snakeraper11b

Established Member
theres always a drama queen in the group......its only vinyl dude...nothing is ruined....but I couldnt find a replacement for the driver side tail which was a lil discolored, so I LEDed it which helped, but not enough, I didnt want to smoke them and totally lose the amber corners.....so this was an interesting compromise ...plus while I was in vinyl mode, I have been wanting to black out the lower section.....Im also doing the section between the lights just to see how it looks.....

I think the black out panel on the trunk lid will tie it all together better. Looking forward to seeing that set up.

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
^thats what Im hoping.......just ran out of time to do it all at once....the key was making sure there were NO bubbles or wrinkles
(and it was no fun going around the compound curves, since this was my first attempt at vinyl)
so that it looks really professionally done up close.....

imag0805p.jpg

I figured I would review these(cost a whopping $12 I think)for others that may have wondered about this honeycomb.......
since I couldnt ever really see any good pics before I ordered

and Im am going to black out the center of the front lower bumper area to finish off the contrast look
(I saw a pic of one that was done and it really visually works on these 99-01s)..
but that will have to wait......Im headin to Colorado for a week of snowboarding on Friday.....hell yea!......
and the blower goes on in a couple of months......hell yea! x 2

Users who are viewing this thread